Hondo's Bar

Nepotisim in comics?

Mr. Hakujin

I just came across this nice lil' story of a father-son duo. The dad seems like a good blue-collar type guy worthy of a break in the biz.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More:

<a href="http://www.mtv.com/shows/event_coverage/series.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Geek: Event Coverage</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/videos/home.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Full Episodes</a></p></div></div>

Here's a link to their Eisner award winning issue together.

Then it got me thinking of the Kuberts and Romeras as well and how there seem to be more than a few famous fathers and sons doing art in comics. Does anyone think artists/inkers/etc. are getting bumped out of work due to nepotism in comics or does the talent* rise to the top no matter what the lineage?

*Liefeld obviously being the exception and the rule here as he may be the son of Satan.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I can kinda see it, especially if they become default/go-to artists for a lotta books. As a reader, i don't mind, if they're talented like Adam Kubert is...now, JRJR on a bunch've Avenger books is kinda bullshit, but if it keeps off the Greg Lands, Salvador Laroccas etc i guess there's a plus?

i think i'd really feel it nepotism if you saw a writer/artist broken up (or longtime character artist) put aside for something like this, i.e., Joe Q (when he was EIC) putting his hypothetical son onto Ultimates 2 instead of Hitch. i think the uproar you'd get from places like Newsarama would be deafening, though.

I think for the most part it's earned. These kids grow up with this, they're dad draws comics for a living. And it seems like a pretty fun job.

I'm sure the name helps a lot, it always does in practically every situation. They automatically get that chance that a lot of people never have, but I think if they weren't worth it for (one of the big) companies, they would get the boot.

JRJR of course comes to mind, but I think he draws like Sergio Aragones now and can finish a comic in 8 minutes. If it's at least passable, that's the kind of thing Marvel and DC love.

Then you have people like Leah Moore and Sophie Crumb, where they are really only getting paychecks because of their name. I've only read one Leah Moore (Alan Moore's daughter) book, it was something with zombies, but it wasn't just not-so-great. It was really bad. But I guess that just kind of supports the idea that market decides who really succeeds. She's off doing shit on piddly small presses and is largely unknown, I think.