Hondo's Bar

TOP 20 RPG's of All Time (My version)

Mortiis558

Others please post your own top 20 I am not here to argue you just want to see people's opinions (and maybe get some new ideas of worthwhile games to play) These are all games I have beat or put enough time into to get a very good idea of the game (50-100+ hours)

20. Gothic 4 - Arcania

19. Grandia 2

18. KoToR 2

17. A Farewell to Dragons

16. Titan Quest

15. Dungeon Siege 2

14. The Witcher 2

13. Baldur's Gate 2

12. Wild Arms 2

11. Fallout 3

10. Shin Megami Tensei: DDS

9. Xenogears

8. Everquest

7. Mass Effect (trilogy)

6. Planescape Torment

5. Tales of Phantasia

4. FF7 (yeah top 5 suck it)

3. Suikoden V

2. Neverwinter Nights 1

1. System Shock 2

digital devil over nocturne, fallout 3 over 1 & 2 (or even NV), phantasia over Vesperia...you've got some controversial picks, but i havent played enough of these to really weigh in.

an overall list of W/JRPGs, MMOs, action RPGs etc is kinda daunting for me, id have a much easier time breaking them up into genres personally.

Honestly I ALWAYS get Nocturne and DDS confused...and Fallout 1 and 2 I have never really played for longer than a few hours. I love Vesperia, really really love it, but Phantasia is what introduced me to the Tales saga so it will always have a special place in my heart.

But feel free to break it into whatever lists you want really. I wouldn't say it has to stick with RPG's, I just don't want a Top 20 of all time best games across all systems and genre's. I am sure that's been done to death.

But honestly I don't feel like System Shock 2, or Fallout (series), or the FF Tactics, or Deus Ex belong on a RPG list.

they don't for you cause the first is a hororr/action, then isometric, the strategy, then action RPG, im guesing? see yeah, that's why i cant do them all in one: Tales games dont have good plots for me, but the engine is better and sometimes i like the characters. some of my favorite JRPGs have misreable engines/combat though, so i gauge them different in my head.

likewise, the nature of more WRPGs doesnt involve much character for me, and ideally, the combat should be better. so say, putting Xenogears (great story for me at the time, controls were eh) and then say Planescape (fantastic story/character, controls like crap as well), it gets weird in my head.

ill do one of my own later, i still have bigger titles like Xenoblade, Witcher 2, System Shock 2 etc to get through first!

Upon further reveiw I was correct in putting DDS instead of Nocturne. Nocturne was great and I think both (all 3 if you wanna count releases) are better than the Persona series, but DDS is my favorite. Nothing in particular to point out why, I just got into it more than I did Nocturne. There are still quite a few games I need to beat though. You had said something about This World Ends with You, and that was one I played, enjoyed a lot, but got sidetracked and haven't been back, but I think I will move that one up on my list.

In no particular order. I made most of my decisions based on time spent playing and enjoying said game.

• Chrono Trigger
  • Shining Force II
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Disgaea
  • Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Fable 2
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • World of Warcraft
  • Fallout 3
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Earthbound
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Suikoden
  • Grandia II
  • Legend of Legaia
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Neverwinter Nights

I had never played anything like Shining Force when I got it. It was a strategy game like Military Madness, but it had a story. Like reading a book. And characters I could level and drastic changes.

This sounds so absurd after having a bunch of RPGs under your belt, but at a point about shit...I dunno, 1/10th of the way through the game

Where you wrap up the story for the town you start in and you leave or something

I thought I had just beat the game. I foiled an evil plot and everything was fine. I'd spent countless hours grinding my crew and exploring everything, and getting stuck because I'm a dumb little kid, walking around in circles for days because I didn't know you could go in a hole in a tree.

But yeah, so I was like "Well that was a fun game, I should play the first one now". And suddenly shit goes down and the game just changed scenery. And the enemy got bigger. And it blew my fucking mind. Then it kept going...and going. Months working my way through that game.

So yeah, nostalgia goggles and all, but I've played it since and it's a solid game. Story isn't going to blow your mind or anything, but it's a lot of fun.

• 3 months later...

In no particular order.

Chrono Trigger

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy IV

Valkyria Chronicles

Suikoden II

Suikoden v

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Dragon Quest V

Valkyrie Profile

Secret of Mana

Skies of Arcadia

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Demon's Souls

Diablo II

Fallout 1

fallout 2

pretty thorough...you know mine'd be similar but include Earthbound (possibly my fave), PS 4 (sometimes 2 but 4 edges out), TWEWY (modern classic), and a few others...Chrono Cross is an interesting pick, didn't know you liked it as much.

Fallout 1 & 2...i have to admit, this might sound harsh but i tried 2 recently and couldn't get into it. isometric is okay by me but the engine is very very dated, i wish id've played it in the day when Junker told me to. I pushed through for Planescape (which'd absolutely make my list) but not quite that one.

its nom would trouble me too cause its easier to just do a JRPG list than an overall one - ive still not played some of the most heralded western RPGs, like Baldur's Gate 2, any of the Ultimas etc. oh! and for J ones, i still need to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Fallout 2 is a terrible starting point for any gamer. You have to play and beat the first game, learn the true meanings of loss and pain and then you'll be ready to start trying to play fallout 2. It is stupid hard no matter your skill set but if you played the first you at least have some idea of what you're in for. It's fairly ingenious in that you can never power level your way to instant victory. You've got to be resourceful, mindful of supplies, and smart which makes the post-apocalyptic theme that much more immersive (it's also the reason purists tend to write off the later games.)

My advice to you is to play fallout 1. Your first hour or two will not be terribly enjoyable but after that you're good, and its a really short game all things considered. After that, try 2 again. Just remember, save often and in multiple slots and in 2 if you get a random encounter of a hers of cows or a field of mutilated bodies then RUN THE FUCK AWAY!