Hondo's Bar

I just saw it actually, not in 3D of course cause that's for chumps*. Anyway I liked it. I don't have any reference of it when it comes to the comics or the last movie, but as a pure action flick it was awesome. Story wasn't great and the characters weren't complex, but that's why I liked it so much i think. It was just a fun, bloody, awesome action movie.

*not really, I just get a headache in 3D. It actually looks like it would be really awesome.

Edited by axel_napalm

Metacritic says reviewers hate it, users love it.

So if you go in there like an actual human, it sounds right up your alley. It doesn't have Columbo, so you don't have to put on your intellectual critic glasses.

Examples

NY Post review - 1 star

The Sylvester Stallone fascist police-state movies were bad enough the first time.

but I wondered whether the judicial policemen of the future quite have the right idea in dealing with all of this misery by shooting everyone in sight.

Dredd is a judge, jury and executioner who operates under the aegis of a vaguely Third Reich-ish eagle with a visor concealing most of his face. Justice is supposed to be blind, but in this case I think what the Law really wants is unaccountability. Maybe this movie will be a big hit at police conventions.

Manslaughter equals instant death sentence? Never mind. When in doubt, use excessive force.

Fuuuuuuck that guy. "Ohhh, this contributes to corporate oppressor culture. No sir, I don't like that one bit." iiiiit's dystopian sci-fi, he's not a fucking role model. He was ready to hate it right off the bat. hnnnnnnng

Chicago Tribune - 1 ½ stars

This guy at least seems to get it more.

Another way of assessing "Dredd 3D" is inevitably political. If you have few or no issues with the gun laws in this country, or the attendant murder statistics, then you're in pretty good shape for target-audience consideration. (Rarely has the phrase "target audience" been more appropriate.) On the other hand, if you've spent countless thousands of hours watching and often thrilling to death on screen, but find yourself resistant to the unceasing cruelty and numbing body count in a film such as "Dredd 3D," then … well, then you probably already sensed "Dredd 3D" isn't for you. It's for your endlessly gaming teenager. Or younger, if you're really going to allow a preteen to see it.

I know you don't game a lot, but let's be honest: that's a check (don't feel bad, you have a lot of company around here).

He also compares it to The Raid: Redemption like it's a BAD thing. We all know The Raid fucks dads.

The critics giving this a bad review either decided they weren't paid enough to give it a good one or have an allergy to extreme badassery.

Well, the Avengers curse is finally over! Saw Dredd saturday night (with no real expectations) and loved it.

It only made it that much more heartbreaking when the house lights came on afterwards to a nearly empty RPX theater :???:.

As has been noted before, the movie is basically The Raid (an awesome movie in it's own right) in a taller building, with a hint of sci-fi thown in. It's kinda shameful actually, and I thought it was going to bother the hell out of me but it really didn't detract from the experience at all.

Is there a thread on this? I've actually got a lot more to say about it.

Definately going to go see it again and push it on as many people as I can!!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

This goes back to a conversation Nick and I had a few years ago. I was saying that I don't pay money for music, so I don't feel I have any right to bitch about the shitty state of pop music these days. I get the sense from a lot of people in my peer group that they have a sense that they are entitled to have the entertainment industry cater to them whilst not paying for said entertainment, or not even using free methods to get it that are legit and provide a revenue stream, but have ads (like downloading torrents of tv shows that are available on Hulu for free, if you sit through a few commercials). My point being, jack that shit if you want, but don't feel like the industry owes you more Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim type movies when you won't pay for them.

he's in high & mighty mode so i tend to just ignore him till he's back down

He comes in other modes?

He's got a point, but he's still not quite right. I can't firmly say what the problem is, I know a lot of people over in the CHUD.com boards in the B-action movie thread that eat shit like Dredd, Kick-Ass, Blade, etc. up but apparently we account for a small percentage of overall sales. I'm glad they keep squeezing these out against all odds, I just wish somebody would prove the rule wrong once.

jax hasnt really thought of DVD/blu-ray sales or the potential for royalties when i watch it on netflix etc streaming services, as he's in high & mighty mode so i tend to just ignore him till he's back down

How is saying you shouldn't feel entitled to shit when you don't pay for it, how is that high and mighty?

i think when Snipes is out he could potentially do another Blade flick to decent fanfare/take home, but i too can't see it being as big/impactful as 1 was at the time. i'd say the same about the Crow if brandon was cloned tomorrow too.

How is saying you shouldn't feel entitled to shit when you don't pay for it, how is that high and mighty?

again, you're allowing your take to read into things - can you show where in my post that started this that i felt entitled? again, i thought i was lamenting a situation, nevermind your false dichotomy on theater being the only possible way i can support something.

again, you're allowing your take to read into things - can you show where in my post that started this that i felt entitled? again, i thought i was lamenting a situation, nevermind your false dichotomy on theater being the only possible way i can support something.

Well, we had this discussion when I asked why you downloaded 30 Rock episodes on torrent that were available on Hulu, thereby supporting a show you liked that got poor ratings and was under threat of cancellation. You were pretty dismissive of the idea that you should support a show you wanted to see renewed.

oh. well, that was a few years ago - ive been subscribing to netflix and watching it there since. thanks to kertins as well, it's prolly our most-watched show on their now that Party Down is sadly gone.

still, you'd be right to say Dredd prolly needs more support than 30 rock at this point - i just don't really want to do many more theater trips this year, they're not really a great value for me compared to other formats, and there doesn't seem to be a group for this one.

I meant to see DREDD in the theater tonight, but the grading piled up on me, so it'll have to be this weekend. I'm thinking of doing a Master/Dredd double feature on Sat and hit both ends of the cinema spectrum.

I know it was a really big thing when it came out but it's not now. I don't think a Blade movie could ever be successful again.

I don't know, as Logan pointed out w/ the Resident Evil franchise, you put anything in 3D and throw shit at the screen and foreigners will eat it up w/ a spoon. So a Blade reboot could possibly make bank in 3D. Then again, the vampire angle is so played out it's a toss-up as to whether it'd be a hindrance to the franchise or not.