Hondo's Bar

Vampires are oversaturated, Wesley Snipes hasn't been culturally relevant in a long time, Blade: Trinity and Blade the Series salted the earth where the Blade franchise once stood, and it's just not feasible. Now if Marvel gets enough of its occult heroes going I could see them maybe (see: never) doing a Legion of Monsters/Midnight Sons movie that would of course flop horrendously and be buried deep within the Earth's crust for all time.

I never thought about it before, but Darkhold Redeemers would fit in pretty well on SyFy as a low budget, poorly written weekly television series.

Morbius could get the Twilight treatment. He could be all dreamy and hunky in his human form, and then he totally VAMPS OUT.

The rest of the Midnight Sons have already been in movies. Give us a Danny Ketch Ghost Rider reboot and we're good to go.

wait, really? when i was half-trolling you about the Morbius movie IP being talked about, i assumed it was in marvel's hands. i mean, there's a lotta spidey villains to burn through before we'd get to that point.

also, i wonder if you're right about Blade & earth-salting. maybe give it a little longer, and part 1 will look more like a late 90s reboot/throwback. Also snipes will be relevant again when he's out and does Demolitioner Man 2 or To Wong Foo deux, whichever comes first

If Marvel has the rights I don't see them using them, Morbius works as a Spider-Man villain or as the token vampire on The Legion of Monsters (because Dracula is evil and Lillith is evil-ler) and even then he's still dwarfed by every other member and I'm including N'Kantu the Mummy and Manphibian.

While I liked Blade Trinity, even I got to admit that the excision of Ryan Reynolds would make for one boring stupid slog of a movie and the TV show just proved that there wasn't a market for the character anymore. Even I would be kind of hesitant to watch a Blade movie now. I don't think there's any real hope of a comeback in Snipes' future especially since Michael Jai White actually remembered to pay his taxes and is younger, a better actor, and a trained martial artist.

And come on now: a Too Wong Foo sequel would obviously be called Two Wong Foo. That's just obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dredd in 3D tonight and it was fantastic! As a 3D cinema experience, I'd give it a definite A. Karl Urban is just fucking fantastic and so is Olivia Thirlby as his rookie side-kick. After seeing the trailer, I was full anticipating her being annoying, but her character was great and she acted the hell out of it. Hopefully this will kill on video/DVD and we'll get a sequel.

Seconded.

A lot better than I was expecting it to be. There was no 2D showing but the 3D looked good so it was worth the spazzy feeling eyes I always get in 3D movies.

As for the Resident Evil movies I just lap that shit up. I enjoy shit movies when they make no claim to be anything else.

Saw Dredd in 3D tonight and it was fantastic! As a 3D cinema experience, I'd give it a definite A. Karl Urban is just fucking fantastic and so is Olivia Thirlby as his rookie side-kick. After seeing the trailer, I was full anticipating her being annoying, but her character was great and she acted the hell out of it. Hopefully this will kill on video/DVD and we'll get a sequel.

Thanks for spinning this off into it's own thread Haku, now I can gush some more about it!! Here's one of the elements I loved about this movie:

Not that it was the first to utilize it, but post-Matrix we've been inundated with cool slo-mo action scenes in movies. Don't get me wrong, I love me some slo-mo, but few films actually bother to establish a rationale for awesome slow-motion moments as the Matrix did. Dredd has some fantastic slo-mo moments, which would be cool in their own right, but the film establishes a rationale for why they exist and then proceeds to never cheat that rule. The film has many, many cool slow-motion shots, but for each one there is always

an observer under the time-dialating effects of the aptly named drug: "Slo-mo".

The only other movie I can think of which went so far as to draft a "in canon" rationale for having cool SFX shots is Inception.

Thanks for spinning this off into it's own thread Haku, now I can gush some more about it!! Here's one of the elements I loved about this movie:

Not that it was the first to utilize it, but post-Matrix we've been inundated with cool slo-mo action scenes in movies. Don't get me wrong, I love me some slo-mo, but few films actually bother to establish a rationale for awesome slow-motion moments as the Matrix did. Dredd has some fantastic slo-mo moments, which would be cool in their own right, but the film establishes a rationale for why they exist and then proceeds to never cheat that rule. The film has many, many cool slow-motion shots, but for each one there is always

an observer under the time-dialating effects of the aptly named drug: "Slo-mo".

The only other movie I can think of which went so far as to draft a "in canon" rationale for having cool SFX shots is Inception.

Okay, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, but I think you're maybe giving it some hyperbolic praise here. One man's "aptly named" slo-mo is another man's "horribly named" unobtanium. Just sayin'.

• 2 months later...

Watched the new one last night. It was pretty good. The slo-mo got old fast but fortunately after using it six times in a row they backed off until the ending and the fact that it looked like a Canadian tv show bugged me for about 30 minutes until my brain adjusted. It wasn't much for story and the premise got pretty stretched out even for its limited run-time. Also it seemed like Urban was playing Robocop instead of Judge Dredd most of the time. But I was entertained and I'll definitely watch it again. So 3 and a half out of 5.