Hondo's Bar

The Evil Dead 2013

Keth

http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-article/nycc-exclusive-filming-evil-dead-was-torture-jane-levy-sequels-planned?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

For Jane Levy, who was recently dubbed the “new Ash” by Bruce Campbell, Evil Dead is a survival story, both on and off the screen. The actress told FEARnet she got seriously messed up while playing leading lady Mia.

“Physically it’s the hardest fucking thing I ever did in my life. It hurt. It hurt your heart, it hurt your body. I was tortured, really. Psychologically and physically. For four months straight,” she said.”

Levy elaborated on the physical aspects of the torture. Boy, did she elaborate.

“I was buried alive. I was put in a coffin under the ground, covered in dirt and left by myself. I was in five hours of prosthetics a majority of the film. 90 percent of the film I was soaking wet. It was the middle of winter and we’re shooting outside. There was so much blood in the movie I got an ear infection that a doctor told me was the worst infection he had ever seen. I couldn’t hear for three weeks from the blood stuck in my ear. I’ve been cleaning my ears since we filmed and there’s still red on my Q-tip. For two-and-a-half months. That’s not even an exaggeration, it’s still coming out of my brain. I had tubes stuck down my throat so I could vomit on people. I had plastic bags tied around my head and I had to have an oxygen tube so I wouldn’t suffocate.”

When asked if after all that she would be willing to go back for more Levy confirmed that plans for sequels are afoot.

“I am contracted to do two more movies and now that I know what it was like I will be able to do the second one much better and be prepared ... I can’t describe what it does to you when you are on top of somebody covering them with vomit. It just feels so wrong!” she said.

Levy hasn’t seen the movie yet, except for a small clip, but she said fans won’t be disappointed. “One thing I can say about what I’ve seen is it’s beautiful looking. Fede made an awesome looking movie.”

After the Evil Dead movies are done, Levy has no plans to continue in the genre. “I just don’t want to be tortured at work anymore,” she said.

We're talking about The Evil Dead. Are the creatures in that film zombies? If you say yes then Linda Blair in The Excorsist was a zombie, too. Now, is that fucking right?

I don't recall the scene from the Exorcist when Father Karras chopped off Reagan's head with a chainsaw and buried her and then she dug herself out and tried to murder him.

I'm hesitant to call demons possessing the corpses of dead humans "zombies", but I can't even kind of jive with Panch's weird definition. If Night of the Living Dead started with a spell backfiring and causing mindless corpses to crave human flesh, they'd still be zombies. Science doesn't have to have anything to do with it.

There are certain situations where it's a bit of a grey area. In The Rising books by Brian Keene (no, I don't even sort of recognize the "but we're talking about movies" argument), the zombies are pretty much just demons from hell inhabiting rotting corpses. Not really zombies? I can recognize the argument there and I may concede. But not because it isn't "based on science". That's ridiculous. In most cases the cause of a zombie outbreak is inconsequential.

If you read World War Z (or watched it as a movie HERPA DERP), and at the end it said "By the way, this happened because of an ancient curse", would you go "Shit! That wasn't about zombies at all!" ?

Really should spin-off into another thread.

It should, but until we get a trailer there's fuck-all to talk about here other than Non-Cheryl looks pretty fucking creepy.

I will admit that Evil Dead is on a certain line but with the weird exception of Ash (who I think we can agree is an exception to a lot of the rules of how things work both in real and the movie's own context), and Sheila's weird hard-to-figure-out possession in Army of Darkness, becoming a deadite is a one way street. As stated several times throughout the movie they eat the host's soul effectively making the person into a meat puppet piloted by a malevolent spirit. It's a walking corpse.

Now of course this gets kind of complicated when you look at some other things in the genre: Night of the Demons and Demons both affected living people, but they had a lot of the characteristics of zombies. I file those under "other" with CHUDs and the people from Slime City. The problem with the "Evil Dead is possession" argument is what about The Beyond, Pet Sematary, Flesheater, Cemetery Man, Evil, [REC], Black Demons, Zombi 4, City of the Living Dead, etc.

A good rule of thumb, I've found is this handy questionnaire:

1. Is it undead? If yes, proceed to question 2.

2. Is it a Vampire? If no, then it's a zombie. (and even I Am Legend establishes a grey area on that) And yes, Jason Voorehees and Frankenstein's monster are both zombies.

Edited by Iambaytor

Well, arguably (and there are long very very deep theories on this that I'm not even going to begin to talk about) Jason wasn't a zombie until part six because he didn't truly die until the end of part 4 when he took a machete to the brainpan and came back at the beginning of six where he was struck by that magic lightning that gave Johnny 5 a soul, turned the security robots in Chopping Mall evil, turned the robot stealth plane into a killing machine, and was responsible for Powder.

And as we all-know, magic lightning is science, so Panch can't disparage it.

I also feel like mentioning that though we have found "scientific logic" in voodoo zombies, it's a fairly contemporary theory and just because we know it now doesn't mean that all of its uses in popular culture are now given that explanation. That's like saying that all werewolf movies are about serial killers with hypertrichosis.

2. Is it a Vampire? If no, then it's a zombie. (and even I Am Legend establishes a grey area on that) And yes, Jason Voorehees and Frankenstein's monster are both zombies.

I don't know. I'd classify them as "other". After a while, Jason just became a corpse animated by his spirit for the purpose of vengeance/slaughter. Frankenstein's monster is just something else.

You guys are arguing over the definition of the word zombie, but what if we reassess the use of the word science.

Citing Clarke's third law, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguisable from magic," then magic, or any zombie-like creature created using it, is just science we don't understand.

Problem solved!! You're welcome guys!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
  • Upvote 2

I gave this some more thought since I work a retail job and it requires less than 0.0001% of my brain. The main thing that separates The Evil Dead from things like Night of the Demons and The Exorcist is the way the deadites are dispatched. There's no holy relics, magic weapons, or spells to get rid of the deadites. You hack them up with an axe or blow their head off. It's also what makes things like mummies and liches not zombies, they have to be destroyed by specific means and conventional weaponry doesn't work.

So they're undead and can be killed with conventional weapons. Same as with The Beyond, Flesheater, Evil, Boy Eats Girl, Pet Sematary, and Mortuary

I even gave some thought to the Ash/Sheila discrepancies. In Evil Dead 2 when Ash gets turned he falls in that bigass puddle and remains there for like 3 minutes until the bubbles stop so it implies he drowned. Now how he came back doesn't really make sense, but neither does mounting a 30-pound chainsaw on the end of the wrist stump you probably should have bled out from.

As for Sheila, she was possessed by Evil Ash who got a jolt whenever Ash fucked up the spell like all the skeletons, I think there was a time limit on how long that power surge lasted before he got his hands on the Necronomicon or perhaps killing him was like taking away their power battery. In any case the influence of the book seemed to all but disappear after the battle so that's probably why Sheila was suddenly okay.