Hondo's Bar

Nemo, Bryan's big moment came at WM30 when he beat HHH, Orton and Batista in 2 different matches to become WWE champ. Huge face pop for it. It's remarkable because the whole thing wasn't according to the WWE plans after the Royal Rumble, but the fan support made it happen (Batista was originally slated to win so he could carry the belt as a facce through the opening of GotG but ended up playing heel.)

Bryan also had an excellent comedy run with Kane as a tag team.

• 1 month later...

WM32 in one week!

I'm really up for whatever Kevin Owens ends up in and Brock vs Ambrose is the match I'm buying to see. Plus Jericho and AJ will be meeting in some way though a one-on-one hasn't been announced. But their lead in has been fun.

But WWE is devastated by injuries right now, with at least 5 guys out who would have been automatic WM participants so the overall show feels flat, especially with the fan rebellion over Roman ongoing and even peaking.

The TL DR or why Roman's not getting traction is that they let him talk.

He's not good at it.

He had the crowd on his side when he was in the Shield because he'd do this silent badass thing. His body language is actually good most of the time.

He's not ready for witty banter, especially with the angle WWE is giving him of gutsy fighter against authority when everyone knows he's with the authority. He should have done a heel stint to build cred and I still can't comprehend why WWE wont let him do it.

Cena sucked his first time is a good guy and got over as a heel. Rock got booed his first try as a face and got over huge as a heel. Even MIZ was able to use his heel persona for a successful face run (which ended prematurely due to injury and/or his movie schedule)

• 4 weeks later...

The implication of 'because' HHH/WWE ditched her is unfair to HHH. (Don't know if you realized you were doing it, but it's been a common sentiment the last couple years that this is somehow HHH's fault.)

As if she wasn't doing drugs and such when she was hanging with them and simply continued the lifestyle. Remember, Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels and a lot of others from that cliq almost died too carrying on the old party ways after WWE cleaned up and started mandatory drug testing for active performers and they couldn't fit in as professionals anymore.

Chyna was just already in too far. The others got lucky. Shawn Michaels especially managed to hook himself into some clean living and finish his career strong. HHH is actually low-key straight edge so he escaped it entirely.

Point is, they all got 'dumped' by WWE's wellness policy and some fell in line and came back. Others couldn't.

• 5 weeks later...

ESPN producing a 30 For 30 on wrestling legend Ric Flair

Sometime in the next 12 months, possibly as early as the fall, ESPN’s critically-acclaimed 30 for 30 series will air “Nature Boy,” a documentary on the life and times of Flair directed by Rory Karpf, who has directed multiple 30 for 30 documentaries including “I Hate Christian Laettner” and “The Book Of Manning.”

“In the wrestling world, the viewer isn’t sure what’s real or what isn’t, but 'Nature Boy'–Ric Flair wasn’t just a character,” said Karpf in an interview this week. “He was real. The wrestler he portrayed in the ring was also the man he was outside the ring. I found that to be fascinating. He’s led a crazy life that’s a natural for a 30 for 30. Plus I just love pro wrestling.”

Karpf said the documentary, which will run at either 90 or 120 minutes, is currently in the editing stages with some interviews left to shoot and a few archive materials still to procure. The interview subjects for the film include Flair, all three of Flair’s living children including daughter Ashley, who wrestles in the WWE under the name of Charlotte and is the current WWE women’s champion, and a host of retired wrestlers including Sting, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley and Ricky Steamboat, along with Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, the pair who with Flair and Ole Anderson formed The Four Horseman. Other interviews include Hall of Fame announcer Jim Ross, former WCW head Eric Bischoff, as well as Flair’s first wife, Leslie.

On the issue of how much wrestling footage will air, ESPN Films vice president and executive producer John Dahl said ESPN has a great relationship with WWE and that Karpf pursued footage agreement before they started shooting. Karpf said the WWE has been very supportive with his requests.

There’s a lot to digest on Flair’s life, and much of the underbelly was covered in this Grantland feature by Shane Ryan in 2011 under the header of “Ric Flair’s long, steady decline.” On the subject of Flair’s openness in answering questions, Karpf said Flair answered all his inquires and that he found his lead subject “very open, for the good, the bad and the ugly. I’ve seen a lot of Ric Flair interviews. And in my opinion, I've never seen a better one than the one he did for our film.”

Karpf said the 1980’s will be the main era of the doc to coincide with the prime of Flair’s career, as well as the explosion of pro wrestling into the pop culture. “Hulk Hogan and Wrestlemania had become household names and meanwhile, Ric was in a rival organization,” Karpf said. “I wanted to explore what specifically made Ric so great and what specifically makes for a great pro wrestler. Why is he considered the greatest of all time? How is that determination made? Unlike the NFL or NBA there really aren’t stats and metrics we can use like touchdowns, points scored or championships to determine greatness. Wrestling is pre-determined. But it is very athletic and the performers are definitely athletes. I wanted to give wrestling its just due in comparison of other sports.”

Karpf said one of his filmmaker dreams was to do a wrestling-based 30 for 30 for ESPN, and Karpf said one of the reasons it happened was that Flair’s interview for his Laettner doc really resonated on social media, according to ESPN’s research. That helped convince Dahl to give the standalone Flair project the greenly.

so hyped to see the GOAT given his due! even if it's prolly gonna be really sad :???:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I don't watch WWE anymore, haven't for years. I started in my youth, watching it with my grandfather during my summer trips to MI. It was the one bonding thing we really had. I watched a lot during the Monday night wars and even dressed up as a Hardy Boy (jincos, chains, fishnets, dyed hair) for Wrestlemania...19 i think. (the one in Houston).

My earliest memory of the WWF was watching it with him and seeing the debut of the Undertaker. I was sold after that moment.

A few years back, my grandfather passed away. A year or so later, 'Takers undefeated streak was broken. I'd stopped watching by then, but hearing the news broke my heart in a way. I was glad he never had to see that. In my heart of hearts, I know it's just a staged performance, but when I was a kid, it was real - and we always had "wrastling" to talk about.

Today I heard about 'Takers retirement, and saw this image:

untitled-1110.jpg

I hate the fact that it kinda got a lump caught in my throat. It's just Wrestling, it's fake, but it was such an important part of the dynamic of how my grandfather and I interacted it just felt like another goodbye to my grandfather - not just to a wrestler.

Damn. Oy - condolences - that sting of loss does suck.

There is sumthing magical about the ol' skoo' - that combo of 'real' theater and performance...everybody knew it was fake, but everybody committed to the illusion...the players, the commentary, the promos...for the most part, the audience! Ain't nothing like watching a stellar match w/ someone who also appreciated the show - that 'art of illusion'.

They were like, magicians! That bled! LOL - Now they call themselves 'professional illusionist entertainment'...and they have youtube videos walking you through...them...shaving their legs before a match...LOL - ah dunno.

I cannot believe The Undertaker is done. Hell. of. a. freakin. run. Amazing. Is there anyone left from the day? Was he the last?

i'm told one (if not more) from that "new class" (or what taker kinda bridged from the 80s heroes to the 90s) compete in other divisions, but yeah, he was it. what i saw of the match wasn't good - his legs weren't holding for the tombstone, and roman couldn't make it work. props for an incredible run, but he should've prolly left a few years ago after lesnar, if not the great match with micheals.

still...props to a legend! i appreciate that he left after a loss, how all the greats do - "you leave on your back" & all that.

related: my personal all-time favorite is gonna be at supercon this year! gonna try to get a picture with the nature boy, ric flair. at least an autograph!

• 2 months later...

NZA put Ric Flair in my head yesterday - spend a good chunk of last night watching Flair promos / rants (woooo!). Then sum matches.

LOL - I always expected dude to just keel over during a promo. LOL - it was like he was tempting fate and purposely trying to trigger an aneurysm. LOL! I cannot over emphasize how much I loved 'the whole show'...from the day.

Bumped into this one. Holy. Shit.

naitch.jpg

• 1 month later...

http://nypost.com/2017/08/15/ric-flair-remains-in-critical-condition-after-colon-surgery/

2017-Summer-TCA-ESP_Nava.jpg

WWF icon Ric Flair in critical condition...

The wrestling legend was placed into a medically induced coma early Monday before undergoing colon surgery to remove a blockage that was the “catalyst” for an array of different health issues — including kidney failure, according to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The 68-year-old is said to be on kidney dialysis as a result.

“The surgery was considered a success, but as noted there are more issues involved,” Meltzer wrote online Tuesday. “A key is being able to get the kidneys back functioning.”

NZA...

tommy-boy-what-did-you-do-o.gif

yeah, that was a rough day...god. last id heard he's stable & those kidneys were indeed functioning, but he's not out of the woods (or nearly done destroying himself, presumably). starting to wonder if he's gonna live to see his 30 for 30 finally drop...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WHOA!  Yup - on desktop and it works.  Sweeeet...

hypnotoadized_homer_simpsons_futurama.gi

EDIT / UPDATE:  Saw it.  Pretty solid.  I love how the 'reenactments' are animated.  Love that.  It's the story of Ric Flair...really well done.

I'd like to see more - maybe a doc on 'the wrestling bizz' as a whole.  Covering the likes of 'Gorgeous George' n' the sort.  Old days stuff.

The only other wrestler / Living Legend I can think of that would warrant this kinda treatment would be 'Hulk Hogan'.

But w/ all the 'hooplah' that is his later years - if it's a 'warts n' all' kinda doc - ya might end up hating him in the end - LOL.

But, I'd luv a 'for posterity' doc on Hulk's impact in wrestling, pop culture...all that, w/ him in it.  Maybe it's too late for that.

0oSUlrz.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly