Hondo's Bar

Legend of Conan

The NZA

source

WXd3l.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has made a deal for The Legend Of Conan, an action film that will star Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his signature roles, as Robert E. Howard’s mythic barbarian. The deal brings Conan and Schwarzenegger back with Universal, which released the first film that launched Schwarzenegger’s movie career back in 1982. Universal has world rights on the film.

The film will be produced by Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan. Malmberg is CEO of Paradox Entertainment, which holds the rights to Conan. Morgan is the Universal-based writer and producer whose credits include the last four Fast and the Furious films, along with Wanted and 47 Ronin. Morgan has hatched the story and might write the script. The caveat is that the studio wants The Legend of Conan for summer 2014, and Morgan might not be finished writing the seventh Fast and Furious installment by then. If that happens he will be a very active producer, because this is Morgan’s dream project.

He's kinda old to play Conan, isn't he? And didn't we just have a Conan movie (admittedly, I haven't heard anything that indicates that it did well...).

Arnold defies any kind of sense when reasonable questions are raised that ask "Isn't Arnold too ____ to play that role?" Particularly, "isn't Arnold too Austrian to play this role?" Why does this small town Alabama cop have a thick Austrian accent? Who cares, it's fucking Arnold! Nobody ever gives a shit how little sense it makes for Arnold to be playing the characters he does, and frankly, why should they?

It seems like today is going to be full of "WHA-?!" moments, as Deadline has now revealed that Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to once again play Conan the Barbarian in The Legend Of Conan. He'll reprise the role of the Robert E. Howard creation after first playing the character in 1982. "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make," producer Fredrik Malmberg told the site. "It’s that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he’ll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."

That means they'll be completely disregarding the 1984 sequel that Schwarzenegger starred in AND the 2011 reboot. "This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn’t touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan’s Unforgiven," adds Malmberg. There's currently no word on whether or not it will be R-Rated, but Schwarzenegger had this to say about returning. "I always loved the Conan character and I’m honored to be asked to step into the role once again. I can’t wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

This is a surprising, but undeniably interesting direction to take Conan in. Universal Pictures are apparently hoping to get the film in theatres by Summer 2014, with Chris Morgan (Wanted, 47 Ronin) expected to write the script. How do you guys feel about seeing a sequel to the original movie? Sound off with your thoughts in the usual place!

Never saw the original, but this could be interesting.