Hondo's Bar

20 hours ago, Newtype said:

Iron man 1 opening weekend: $98M ($102M counting Thursday showing)

Justice League opening weekend: $96M ( $83M not counting Thursday showing)

Down to just under $94M

Edited by Newtype

i keep catching myself feeling bad - i still think cahill would be great if used right, WW was fantastic, bats did a couple things i found interesting, etc - but then i keep remembering what an unmitigated disaster BvS was, and how it felt like the very week later, we were hearing they went full steam ahead with snyder's take for this film.  

there's bits like those i want kept, and i know solo flicks like aquaman can still be good, but they just need a complete change of direction.  i don't know how you mess things up this bad. 

You know... I had a good time with this. There is alooot wrong with it, but it isn't a disaster. Cyborg looks like shit (as does most of the CG. I hate Batman's suit. I jump between hating and liking Barry. And Superman is Superman. Housed some shitty writing and dialogue as well (you can pinpoint Whedon's reshoots it felt like.)

But it wasn't boring, had some decent action and Wonder Woman and Aquaman were awesome. There were alot of genuinely fun moments. 

For me, personally, so far it goes:

1. Wonder Woman (EASILY)

2. Justice League

--

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--

-

-

-

-

-

3. Man of Steel <-----> 4. BvS

DC certainly needs to be held to a higher standard with their movies, but it at least feels like they are trying here. If they can hold off on these big team ups and give some solid stand alones, then things can be salvageable. 

There's also a really fun mid credits scene and a really stupid END credits scene that barely needs to be watched. 

I really did forget about it, and considering that we see it come into the store all the time as to ensure me that I remember it exists, that's pretty bad. 

I can't believe we're in the timeline where "The best thing about the Justice League movie was Aquaman" is a true statement. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Variety: WB/DC shakeup incoming in the wake of Justice League’s stumble

Ok...so that wasn't all that bad! Axels pretty much nailed it earlier in this thread. It's super problematic but still entertaining. I thought the villain was meh, but there was lots of humor and some decent action. I took my mom who absolutely loved it and wants to see it again, but her standards are REALLY low. Haha.

The storytelling was mad erratic. I felt like the first half hour was at breakneck speed and you weren't given time to really care about any one story line or get to know any of the new characters. Thankfully I came into it with a lot of background knowledge but someone who hasn't (esp w/ the new characters), might be confused or not made to care about these people. 

One thing I thought was so ridiculous was how the League let Steppenwolf grab the third Mother Box. I mean, the whole time we're told how if the three boxes are united it means DOOM FOR ALL MANKIND. So, they use the box to recharge Supes and then just leave it out in the parking lot for Steppenwolf to be like...

giphy.gif

WHY WAS NO ONE WATCHING IT?!?! YOU ALL HAD ONE JOB!!!

So that was ridiculous. But yeah...I had fun with it! I adore Ezra Miller so Barry was a highlight for me. But WW and Aquaman were also fantastic! I wish they'd given Aquaman more screen time. He nailed the scenes he was given. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

took 4+ hours, but finished the snyder cut

this is undoubtedly both an entirely different and superior movie - way more kirby 4th world, way more character development without the time constraints. i get wanting to see more of this, even if the snyder self indulgent slow mo over some hallelujah song bits are grating 

cyborg had a story, steppenwolf clearly wasn't the big baddie you wanted to see, supes' resurrection was actually purposeful, i even got a bit about when lanterns were here - i know whedon was already buried after the ray fisher campaign, but man, seeing what was stripped down (albeit with extra filming time) really made for a superior experience, however i may feel about gal gadot, ethan klein etc

i was a little salty that early on, snyder portrayed darkseid as a silent dumb brute, but dude's an ayn rand fan so i should've seen that coming.  he got better as it went & left me wanting a fight i only got in superman TAS, so that's something

• Really Like 1