Hondo's Bar

2012 Game of the Year

Keth

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VGA's gave it to Walking Dead...that shit was impressive, liking ep 1 so far

They also named Half Life 2 the best game of the last 10 years, based on voting on Entertainment Weekly's website. The nominees were Wind Waker, Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, Shadow of the Colossus, Wii Sports, Bio Shock, Portal, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption and Arkham City

Vice City was boring as shit, not necessarily the game, but definitely the city. I have played through GTA San Andreas about 4 times, the last was when I got 100% completion and it plays very smoothly for a PS2 era game. While Grand Theft Auto 3 will always be my favorite of the series, there's a lot of fun to be had in San Andreas.

Red Dead Redemption was a great goddamn game that kinda tailed off toward the end, gameplay-wise at least.

i don't doubt it, i never tried that.

i just know that most GTA/open world games are crazy-boring collections of mini-games with a plot barely worth coming back to after a few hours of mayhem. bishop swears IV went against that, but what i saw didn't look compelling.

i'm okay with just having a playground of a game, mind. i'm told just cause 2 and saints rows are good for this. but if i'm supposed to care enough to move along a world usually lacking any kind of interesting level of detail, that's the story's job, and not many titles manage to walk that line for me.

I might have. what i saw didn't tell me that, but i should give it a go sometime when i'm more inclined. playing a bit've just about every GTA before it really kinda reinforced the idea that the series isn't for me though, and i should stop trying to force it just because it gets hyped by a lotta people around me.

this realization happened with god of war and several other titles later on.

RDR didn't grab me, storywise and as I'd played enough of the engine through GTA IV so I was just sick of it and nothing from sidequest to story to setting could make me interested in keeping on.

Cue any of the rotating cast to come tell me what a monster I am for butchering definitions and not liking the right things.

GTA:SA I feel bad for never finishing, and it sadly didn't age well. GTA2 is probably unjustifiably my favourite of the series.

Half-Life 2 definately is the best game of the last decade. I can still remember my first playthrough and how badass it was. I think people have been jaded by the games that have come out since, but I think HL2 paved the way for all of them. The shooter aspect is TOP NOTCH, the gravity gun (at the time) was the coolest shit ever! The story was wonderful and intriguing and built into the game VERY well. All the puzzles never seemed like puzzles and were all integrated intuitively, it really was a brilliant game. I am STILLLLLLLLL pissed PC Gamer gave HL2 a 4.5 and Doom 3 a 5! Really doom 3 better than HL2?? It got a 4.5 because of STEAM nonetheless.

Best GTA was Vice City hands down. Better than SA, 4, any Stories, but Saints Row is better than any GTA other than Vice City.

having played HL2 a few years later, i can tell you that it is not without flaw.

it's a great game, and doj is right, i loved stuff like ravenholm- but it does drag at certain points. it's infinitely better than ep 1, but ep 2 went back in the right direction. i can totally see the grav gun being amazing at the time, mind you. but even my favorite games ever have flaws, and pacing is often one of them.