Hondo's Bar

Feh. What are these, movies about people working? Lemme guess, they have relationships and there's a bunch of dialogue that's just things people talk about with each other.

What a bunch of lazy, poorly conceived shit. It just exists so the viewer can get a little reach around and nod emphatically at pop culture references. The entire idea is awful and nothing like that can be good.

Your little black and white indie movie can go fly a kite, hipster scum.

Feh. What are these, movies about people working? Lemme guess, they have relationships and there's a bunch of dialogue that's just things people talk about with each other.

What a bunch of lazy, poorly conceived shit. It just exists so the viewer can get a little reach around and nod emphatically at pop culture references. The entire idea is awful and nothing like that can be good.

Your little black and white indie movie can go fly a kite, hipster scum.

Heh. This guy gets it.

• 4 years later...

RIP Clerks III

Five years later and the official last nail in the coffin is put into this flick. Kevin Smith explained on social media the long history behind the failed attempts at sequels to both Clerks and Mallrats. Apparently, one of the "indoor clerks" flat out refuses to ever make another Clerks film. If memory serves, it was the guy who played Dante that was the hold up for the second Clerks film, but Smith wasn't saying which Clerk was the reason the third film will never get made. And the deal with Mallrats is he couldn't get Universal, who owns rights to the film, to pony up money for it or release rights. So instead Smith tried to shop it around as a TV series last year, but no one picked it up.

Now he's using the only thing he actually does own from the Askewniverse, the characters of Jay and Silent Bob, and making a film that's basically a sequel to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Skip to about the 7 minute mark for the story about the films to begin.

( OK, I'm currently posting from my phone and for the life of me I cannot get this damn video to embed. So if someone else wants to do that from either their computer or a superior cell phone then have at it.)

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Incorrect, you could pitch a handful of quarters at Brian O'Halloran (Dante) and instruct him to dance and he'd do it without hesitation. It was Jeff Anderson (Randall) who didn't want to do it for creative reasons and then he never got paid for the second film so he's likely not really eager to get screwed over by the Weinstein company again.

I can't be arsed to look all that up, so I'll just believe what Ryan wrote. That does kind of make sense because Smith did have a throwaway line in that rather long video that clerks three was a showcase for Randall.

*edit*

I also forgot to mention that in the video Smith says he's going to try and have his Clerks 3 script turned into comic book form. It sounded like he's already got a deal in motion for that with Dynamite comics.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

All the stuff about Anderson not wanting to do Clerks 2 is on the Clerks 2 DVD, both Smith and Anderson talk about it in length. I can't find an official channel on the pay thing but it's been floating around the internet for a while. Also Smith said the movie would be "all about Randall" so if Anderson never signed on then it would pretty much torpedo the movie.

Yes, now that you mention it that does sound familiar about the commentary on Clerks 2--back in the day when I used to actually listen to commentaries for movies. I used to really enjoy listening to those commentaries, in fact for a lot of the films in my library the sole reason I bought them was for either special features and/or a director's commentary. But nowadays there are so many geek/nerd websites that people will listen to those commentaries for you and put up highlights on YouTube or write an article about it. Do you still find time to listen to commentaries? I'm sitting here thinking back, and I believe the last time I actually listened to the commentary for anything the whole way through was season two of Game of Thrones.

I rarely do commentaries anymore but that's largely because of the triple threat of having an 11-day workweek, a small child, and a "job" reviewing movies devouring my free time. The last one I listened to (which was the first in years) was actually for a review movie. I still buy movies for commentaries but I just tell myself I'll watch them later, which I probably will if I get in an industrial accident or something.

There was actually a mini-documentary (a type of special feature that is a truly decadent waste of time for me now) on the Clerks 2 DVD that goes through the entire making of the movie and the Anderson stuff is largely mentioned there.

Fuck Clerks 3 and just gimme a Clerks 2 Blu-Ray, goddammit!

This.

Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 completely...utterly unnecessary.

I don't mind Kevin Smith returning to the Askew universe - but with a new story set in that universe. Of course, I would want it littered w/ references and easter eggs - and be a celebration and a massive reunion of sorts...but a new story / theme w/ a new set of characters could be great.

He's touched on work (Clerks), youth (Mallrats), religion (Dogma), relationships / heartbreak (Chasing Amy) and...dumb fun? (Strike Back).

Maybe he should tell a tale on the theme of 'industry'? Film industry, video games, comic con...the rapidly evolving technology / consumerism? Not from the perspective of Clerks - but, the other side.

EDIT: A comedy about competing companies just made me chuckle. Trying to one-up each other and get ahead of the other sounds pretty funny.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I recall grizzling about Clerks 2 like sequels were still an intrinsically bad thing, but I figured out that it's too late because I'm emotionally invested in these characters and will watch Smith ride the franchise off the rails if he decides to, especially after getting moist eye at the revisited Chasing Amy characters in the Jay & Silent Bob reboot. 

Lawsy, the difference on the thumbnails between regular and HD for this trailer is unforgiving though. 

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Visitant said:

I never did watch the Jay and Silent bob reboot. I should do that. 

Same. After Fanexpo, I really want to. Just haven't been in the mood for a Kevin Smith film in the last ten years, but here we are