Hondo's Bar

Your Top 12 Films of 2012

There can be only one!  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What were your 12 favorite films that were released in 2012? Here's a link that may help you make your list.

My list:

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  2. The Avengers
  3. The Grey
  4. The Master
  5. Chronicle
  6. Prometheus
  7. The Dark Knight Rises
  8. Django Unchained
  9. Argo
  10. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  11. Cabin In The Woods
  12. Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Raid: Redemption, Amazing Spider-Man, & Cloud Atlas need to be in there somewhere, but I’m not sure what I’d take out. Possibly 11 or 12, but both of those films had such great qualities as well. Meh. Lists.

Some well reviewed films released in 2012 I haven’t seen yet:

A Late Quartet, Amour, Bernie, Bully, Central Park Five, Compliance, Flight, Hyde Park on Hudson, The Impossible, Killer Joe, Les Miserables, Moonrise Kingdom, Paranorman, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Rampart, Samsara, Searching For Sugar Man, The Sessions, Seven Psychopaths, Silver Linings Playbook, To Rome with Love, Zero Dark Thirty.

Damn it was a good year for movies. I always do these from the top of my head, so in no real order (aside from Django) here they are

1. Django Unchained

2. The Hobbit

3. Chronicle

4. The Avengers

5. The Amazing Spider-man

6. Looper

7. Paranorman

8. Wreckit Ralph

9. The Cabin in the Woods

10. The Dark Knight RIses The Grey

11.Dredd

12.The Raid: Redemption

Alot of honorable mention too- Rise of the Guardians was probably my 3rd best animated pick. The Man With the Iron Fists gets an A for effort from the RZA. Not as great as I hoped, but still a damn fine outing for a first timer. I really did like Prometheus, Lindelof hate aside. I just am really glad he won't be coming back for a sequel.

Man I didn't realize how behind I was on Documentaries too. Chimpanzee got my vote cause it was the only one I had seen from 2012.

I knew I forgot one. The Grey knocks off Batman. I liked Batman alot, but the more I think about it, the lower it got.

Edited by axel_napalm

My list:

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild
  2. The Avengers
  3. The Grey
  4. The Master
  5. Chronicle
  6. Prometheus
  7. The Dark Knight Rises
  8. Django Unchained
  9. Argo
  10. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  11. Cabin In The Woods
  12. Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Raid: Redemption, Amazing Spider-Man, & Cloud Atlas need to be in there somewhere, but I’m not sure what I’d take out. Possibly 11 or 12, but both of those films had such great qualities as well. Meh. Lists.

Some well reviewed films released in 2012 I haven’t seen yet:

A Late Quartet, Amour, Bernie, Bully, Central Park Five, Compliance, Flight, Hyde Park on Hudson, The Impossible, Killer Joe, Les Miserables, Moonrise Kingdom, Paranorman, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Rampart, Samsara, Searching For Sugar Man, The Sessions, Seven Psychopaths, Silver Linings Playbook, To Rome with Love, Zero Dark Thirty.

8. Wreckit Ralph

Haku, your list doesn't have Wreck-It-Ralph, nor is it in your Honorable Mentions or you list of "other well reviewed movies." Did you not like it?

1. Django Unchained

2. Life of Pi

3. Beasts of the Southern Wild

4. John Dies at the End

5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

6. Brave

7. Cabin in the Woods

8. The Avengers

9. Cloud Atlas

10. Moonrise Kingdom

11. Rise of the Guardians

12. Wreck it Ralph

/edit - Accidently put Brave up there twice, hehe.

Edited by sinestetici
  • Upvote 1

Haku, your list doesn't have Wreck-It-Ralph, nor is it in your Honorable Mentions or you list of "other well reviewed movies." Did you not like it?

Eh, not really an official "honorable mentions" in the spoiler. There were probably five or six films I struggled to put in the last two spots. That second list was movies I haven't seen yet. I saw Wreck-It Ralph. Liked it. I'd put it in my top 20, maybe even top 15 if I put some thought in to that list.

I liked Batman alot, but the more I think about it, the lower it got.

Same here, unfortunately. I've seen it three times, and the scenes and conceits that I disliked the first time I saw it I now outright loathe.

Also, what was your favorite sequel that wasn't on the poll?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
I needed to know axels favorite sequel!!!!

Yeah, ASC, less TV and more movies.

I think I counted The Avengers as a sequel.... If that doesn't count then definitely TDKR. Avengers felt like a sequel of sequels though.

Yeah, I almost put Avengers on the poll because I suppose an argument could be made it's kind of a sequel. However, I felt that it's technically not a legit sequel like the other choices. It's kind of in a category by itself; no other franchise has really done what Avengers did.

It's kind of in a category by itself; no other franchise has really done what Avengers did.

Well, not well anyway. Freddy Vs Jason, Alien Vs Predator, King Kong Vs Godzilla.... Certainly Avengers has been the first time it was not a gimmick, and it was actually planned, so that previous films set up the events of the crossover.

I find it interesting that Danny (JunkerSeed) voted Skyfall as his favorite movie of the year, but voted for The Expendables 2 as his favorite sequel of the year (which should theoretically be a subset of all the year's movies).

I didn't mean to add it twice. The second one should have been "Rise of the Guardians", I'm fixing it now. But...yea Brave was pretty great :D

Indeed. Fuck you Logan! You aren't in charge of our membership cards! ...And I only dye with the blood of my enemies... it adds that extra color.

:2T:

Jax, you're doin' a lot of jabberin' in here, but still no list. Throw one up, meng! Similarly, the unnecessarily surly DOJ should give us his faves of the year as well.

Well, not well anyway. Freddy Vs Jason, Alien Vs Predator, King Kong Vs Godzilla.... Certainly Avengers has been the first time it was not a gimmick, and it was actually planned, so that previous films set up the events of the crossover.

Ah, yes. You've got a very good point there w/ those first two. I guess Avengers technically isn't unprecedented then. I wonder why they never did another Freddy vs Jason; it was technically a "hit" if memory serves.

I find it interesting that Danny (JunkerSeed) voted Skyfall as his favorite movie of the year, but voted for The Expendables 2 as his favorite sequel of the year (which should theoretically be a subset of all the year's movies).

Eh, maybe he just really liked both and wanted to show them both love. Skyfall was definitely the most solid sequel for me this year in that it lived up to it's previous films the best and was the most entertaining. Expendables 2 outdid its predecessor though I found Skyfall slightly more enjoyable, so I had to give it my vote.

I had a similar dilemma w/ best re-boot. Dredd was by far a better film than the Stalone original. However, even though Spidey 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man film, I thought Amazing Spider-Man was a better franchise reboot once you factor in Spidey 3. So I had to give ASM my vote.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Freddy vs. Jason delivered exactly what it promised and I would be happy to see another campy sequel. And if you don't pay attention to the acting, AvP is a fun movie.

I realize how strange those two statements are next to each other

Jax, you're doin' a lot of jabberin' in here, but still no list. Throw one up, meng!

There's still several movies from this year I want to get around to watching, but based on what I have seen.

1. Django Unchained
  2. The Avengers
  3. Wreck-It-Ralph
  4. Cabin in the Woods
  5. The Hunger Games
  6. Ted
  7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  8. Looper
  9. The Dark Knight Rises
  10. Brave
  11. The Lorax
  12. The Amazing Spider-Man

Honorable mentions to Skyfall and How to Survive a Plague.

Edited by Reverend Jax

There's still several movies from this year I want to get around to watching, but based on what I have seen.

1. Django Unchained
  2. The Avengers
  3. Wreck-It-Ralph
  4. Cabin in the Woods
  5. The Hunger Games
  6. Ted
  7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  8. Looper
  9. The Dark Knight Rises
  10. Brave
  11. The Lorax
  12. The Amazing Spider-Man

Honorable mentions to Skyfall and How to Survive a Plague.

The Lorax made your Top 11? Truth?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

The Lorax made your Top 11? Truth?

Yeah, like I said, I haven't seen a lot of movies this year, and I have a lot of nostalgia and affection (as I'm sure many people do) for Dr Seuss, and unlike the two live-action abominations, The Lorax may have its flaws, and may have had to stretch out a thin story into a feature-length film, but overall, there was enough there that I enjoyed watching it. I haven't watched the feature-length Horton Hears a Who, but I assume I'd feel the same way about that movie too. But honestly, the bottled air commercial within the movie cracked me up, and was such a funny 30 seconds that it tipped the movie from 'meh' to 'thumbs up' for me.

Also, Danny DeVito's voice is just fun.

Edited by Reverend Jax