Hondo's Bar

Your Top 12 Films of 2012

There can be only one!  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^^Fair enough, Jax. I remember liking the book as a kid and also the animated short, but the film was kinda just meh for me. The songs were a bit of an endurance. You're right on the air ad being funny stuff though.

DOJ's list is another surprising one as well. I thought he was fucking around by picking Ice Age on the polls. I don't think I've seen the third one, so this latest one I didn't even pay attention to. Also read mixed things on Killing Them Softly; maybe I'll have to DL watch that one after all.

I realize that this is going to hurt some of you, but I haven't seen a good portion of these movies so of the ones I have seen from worst to best

12. The Expendables 2

11. The Dark Knight Rises

10. The Grey

9. Chronicle

8. Wreck-It Ralph

7. John Carter

6. The Hobbit

5. Cabin in the Woods

4. The Avengers

3. Cloud Atlas

2. Django Unchained

1. Seven Psychopaths (let arguments commence!)

And for those keeping score: I haven't seen Looper, Life of Pi, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Raid, or Dredd

DOJ's list is another surprising one as well. I thought he was fucking around by picking Ice Age on the polls. I don't think I've seen the third one, so this latest one I didn't even pay attention to. Also read mixed things on Killing Them Softly; maybe I'll have to DL watch that one after all.

I'm a really big fan of the Ice Age films. This one wasn't as good as the others, but I still liked it.

^^Fair enough, Jax. I remember liking the book as a kid and also the animated short, but the film was kinda just meh for me. The songs were a bit of an endurance. You're right on the air ad being funny stuff though.

I love the Seuss aesthetic so much, that if you pretty much just don't fuck it up too much (like the two live-action ones), I'll be pretty easy to win over. Looking back, as best as I can determine, I've only seen 15 films made in 2012. I started watching Beasts of the Southern Wild based on your high placement, I'm about 40 minutes in, will get back to it, maybe today. I have a few more from 2012 in my queue, including Chronicles, 21 Jump Street, Cloud Atlas and Moonrise Kingdom.

You enjoyed John Carter more than Wreck-It Ralph? I heard it was pretty bad.

I've heard that it got a bad rep and is underrated. I saw an online top 20 films of 2012 list based on public voting that put it at #18. I'm more surprised that Baytor hasn't seen Dredd than I am that he put John Carter on his list.

I realize that this is going to hurt some of you, but I haven't seen a good portion of these movies so of the ones I have seen from worst to best

12. The Expendables 2

11. The Dark Knight Rises

10. The Grey

9. Chronicle

8. Wreck-It Ralph

7. John Carter

6. The Hobbit

5. Cabin in the Woods

4. The Avengers

3. Cloud Atlas

2. Django Unchained

1. Seven Psychopaths (let arguments commence!)

And for those keeping score: I haven't seen Looper, Life of Pi, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Raid, or Dredd

I'm glad to see Seven Psychopaths topping your list! I liked the writer/director's previous film, In Bruges and wanted to catch Seven Psychopaths in the theater, but unfortunately never got to.

Fun Fact: Was curious if this guy had done any other films. A quick check of writer/director Martin McDonagh on IMDB has revealed that while Seven Psychopaths is only his sophmore feature, the dude does bear a striking resemblance to singer/songwriter Sting!

sting-3_zpseb283be6.jpgMV5BMTU3Nzg3NTM2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEyMDY1OA__V1__SX640_SY937__zps739e20e4.jpg

I saw Seven Psychopaths tonight and I can see why it made Baytor's list. It came off as trying a bit too hard in some places and not hard enough in others for me. I'd probably give it a B+, and it falls somewhere in the place of films like Cloud Atlas for me. That is, being a film that really tries for a great, unique perspective but falls short in execution.

...I started watching Beasts of the Southern Wild based on your high placement, I'm about 40 minutes in, will get back to it, maybe today...

Hmm. Not a good sign if it didn't hold your attention past 40 minutes. I'm still curious to know what you think of it when you finish the film. I saw it in the theater and it took me by surprise; it really connected w/ me on a personal level I hadn't expected. I immediately bought the soundtrack and had it on repeat for weeks. However, I almost don't want to watch the film again lest that emotional impact I felt on the initial viewing be somehow diminished. (I'm not sure if anyone can relate to that kind of feeling though.)

. . .I remember giving John Carter a "they don't see how special you are" vote. Seriously underrated film.

Ditto. I saw it in the theater in 3D and really enjoyed it; it's a very fun sci-fi action flick. It was a victim of mainstream media bullying, for lack of a better term. One person said it sucks, worst.movie.ever. And everyone just latched on to it. It was like "Box Office Bomb" became the first three words in the film's title.

It was a victim of mainstream media bullying, for lack of a better term. One person said it sucks, worst.movie.ever. And everyone just latched on to it. It was like "Box Office Bomb" became the first three words in the film's title.

The movie had terrible buzz for months before there was a cut of the film for anyone to have seen, before principle photography began. It went through rewrites and Disney changed the title from the original book's title A Princess of Mars because they had market research showing that young men wouldn't go see a movie with 'Princess' in the title. Then when they started marketing John Carter of Mars, they got research showing that women weren't interested in a movie with the word 'Mars' in it. They they changed the name to John Carter and the research showed people didn't know what the movie was about. So because the movie had gone way over budget, they went into panic mode and made a lot of bad decisions that got the ball rolling on a media narrative that they had a dud in the can.

Hmm. Not a good sign if it didn't hold your attention past 40 minutes. I'm still curious to know what you think of it when you finish the film. I saw it in the theater and it took me by surprise; it really connected w/ me on a personal level I hadn't expected. I immediately bought the soundtrack and had it on repeat for weeks. However, I almost don't want to watch the film again lest that emotional impact I felt on the initial viewing be somehow diminished. (I'm not sure if anyone can relate to that kind of feeling though.)

Finished watching it. It was alright. I was able to respect it and admire it, but I was never really immersed in it and I was never really enjoying it. The actress playing the main character did a great job and deserved her nomination (this year has both the youngest ever best actress nominee and oldest ever). I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on, since it was part of her imagination, but it bothered me that the aurochs were represented as giant boars. Aurcohs were bovine, not swine.

I also watched 21 Jump Street. Though it was fun and I enjoyed it, I wouldn't change my Top 12 list to include it.

Edited by Reverend Jax

The movie had terrible buzz for months before there was a cut of the film for anyone to have seen, before principle photography began. It went through rewrites and Disney changed the title from the original book's title A Princess of Mars because they had market research showing that young men wouldn't go see a movie with 'Princess' in the title. Then when they started marketing John Carter of Mars, they got research showing that women weren't interested in a movie with the word 'Mars' in it. They they changed the name to John Carter and the research showed people didn't know what the movie was about. So because the movie had gone way over budget, they went into panic mode and made a lot of bad decisions that got the ball rolling on a media narrative that they had a dud in the can.

I remember me and a few other people agreeing that John Carter of Mars would have been a better title. As for the female dollar, I thought bare-chested Taylor Kitsch was enough to get the ladies interested. Sexist, maybe? Seen as a surprising proportion of my female friends go to see movies they wouldn't otherwise be interested in "because there's a hot guy in it", no I don't think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished watching it. It was alright. I was able to respect it and admire it, but I was never really immersed in it and I was never really enjoying it. The actress playing the main character did a great job and deserved her nomination (this year has both the youngest ever best actress nominee and oldest ever). I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on, since it was part of her imagination, but it bothered me that the aurochs were represented as giant boars. Aurcohs were bovine, not swine.

Yeah, if the fake aurochs are bothering you then you weren't' really catching on to the film's vibe at all. Did you tear up during...

...the scene where her dad died? It got me. Bad.

Yeah, if the fake aurochs are bothering you then you weren't' really catching on to the film's vibe at all. Did you tear up during...

...the scene where her dad died? It got me. Bad.

Well, if she was talking about dinosaurs and they were a bunch of gorillas, I'm sure it would have bothered other people too. Again, I get it that it's in the mind of a 6-year old. I know it not a "the filmmaker didn't do his research" thing. I get it. I'm just saying I couldn't get out of my head about it.

And

not really, her dad's death didn't really get to me. I just wasn't invested. I'm sure I would have been if I could have synced up with the movie early on, but I never did.