Hondo's Bar

I'm talking about Marvel Omnibuseses, DC Absolutes, that sort of thing. Big, nice, oversized (expensive) hardcovers. Over the last year or so, these have become a bit of a passion of mine. So here's a place to talk about them.

I like the idea that many of these books will easily outlive me without extreme precautions being taken. 30 years into a comic collection, I'm becoming acutely aware that there's a definite lifespan for poorer quality reprints.

I'm always trying to keep up with what's coming out, because there's often a small window where you can get them for a remotely reasonable price.

There are some, however, that will never be reasonably priced.

Wolverine: The Adamantium Collection

UixDRus.jpg

stands over 1 ft. tall and weighs in at 16 lbs!

720 pages, cover priced at $200. Available now for $125, but that's still too goddamn much. This seems bordering more on a coffee table book than the sort of thing I'm interested in. Still pretty cool though.

On the other hand, the Animal Man Omnibus reprints the entire Grant Morrison run and you can pre-order it for $42. That's a fine price for what will surely be an impressive book.

After looking into and seeking out books like this lately, it have even more appreciation for your stuff.

Dude, I could pick 3 or 4 of your books and they would probably be worth more than my entire collection. You have some shit that's practically impossible to find for less than rent.

I was hoping you'll say yes just so we can some witty banner going just to reach the point were we started making fun of the nza for his books.

I have never picked up an issue of the Invisibles. What is the book about and what makes it stand out?

Yeah, pretty much. It's a really hard thing for me to put in a nutshell. It's about a group of special folks who fight against forms of tyranny. There's a lot of conspiracy stuff, time travel, aliens, psychic oppression etc.

It's a weird book, but it's damn entertaining.

• 1 month later...

You would think so, huh? But no. These things are clearly bound with reading in mind.

A lot of trades have a glued binding, because it's cheaper and all that they figure is necessary with something of reasonable size. This, and most books like it, has a sewn binding, which allows each page to open fully without causing damage. I can open it to any page and lay the book completely flat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Thrizzle:

Click

Wow. How is this only 55 bucks. Thats a friggin steal. I'm tempted, even though I love me my Absolutesses.

RASL - The Complete Series

As of right now it's going for $28. That's quite a bargain, if you ask me.

So glad I hesitated on ordering the soft covers!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Cal McDonald Casebook Volume 1

Features all the stuff from Criminal Macabre omnibus volume 1, plus the original story Hairball, and the first of the 3 Cal McDonald print novels. It's on smaller paper than the average comic but it's easily readable and it's a thing of motherfucking beauty. Also it's less than $25 right now. My only gripe, it doesn't feature the original Cal Story "Big Head" but at least it features Hairball and the Savage Membrane novel so there's a little bit of a lead-in for Criminal Macabre unlike the previous omnibus editions.

This will also be the thread where I brag about getting a copy of Hellboy Library Edition Volume 1 for $30. So yeah, I did that thing.

Logan can go ahead and give that extra copy to someone else for Christmas.

Sweet.

I'm glad you got it, because I think you needed it. They're really nice reprints, and I dig the extra shit in the back.

I wish they would make matching BPRD Library Editions. The current hardcovers are pretty neat, but I'm sitting on it and keeping my fingers crossed.

I didn't say I owned volume 2

I was kind of bummed about the bprd books, but aside from having dust jackets they're really pretty perfect. Dark horse does the best most reasonably priced hardcovers on the market. Every time I look at my hellboy, bprd, cal McDonald, beasts of burden, or the creep books they make me happy. Now if only they'd give the mask and dr. Mcninja the same treatment.