Hondo's Bar

Black Panther

Yeah - the forest / jungle scene looked way too artificial. Just too prestine. (0:38 - 0:52) Sucks if that's what 'the jungle' is gonna be like.

Wish they did something w/ the filters - I think the opening to Age of Ultron made you feel like you were out in the snow. They should've set the filters to '80s Predator' / 'out in the jungle' vibe - felt like it was set to 'out in a hermetically sealed set'. (shrugs)

Ah dunno why, but lately I'm just not digging the aesthetic(?) w/ these things - same w/ Dr. Strange, everyone looks like they just got up off the make-up chair. The sets are so fucking meticulous...LOL - it's actually starting to take me out - feels too much 'like a movie' - if that makes any sense. Cool eye candy - but, eh. My two cents.

Anyway - this did less than nothing for me, unfortunately. Redbox.

Didn't Spidey: Homecoming get a major CG upgrade as it got closer to its release date? Yeah, really not worried about it.

Yeah, true - this flick is like, 8 months away from being 'done'. There's a good chance this isn't visually going to be final product. God, I hope.

Maybe it's because of the steady stream of MCU / Iron Man sequels - that the ultra-clean aesthetic is just starting to wear on me. (perfectly clean costumes, prestine sets, perfect hair) I look forward to the flicks - but I'm really starting to notice an - extremely uniform 'look'...(nevermind plots) and it's boring me. Yes - that's the kind of animals these movies are - impressions, nonetheless.

I'd love a different visual vibe when it comes to a Wakanda flick...all the 'green screen...green screen...green screen' - shouldn't be slapping me in the face - coming from a bottomless wallet production house. Jungle Book was all green screen - but holy shit, did the locales feel real. That jungle fight in the trailer made me wince - 'No, no, no guys...spend the money.'

Tell you what - I'm gonna flip my shit if a legit Klaw shows up in a trailer. I love that character's design so hard - feel in love w/ it way back when the Avengers arcade game was a thing.

klaw_by_robshalda-da22oyh.jpg

klaw.jpg

• 1 month later...

yeah - i was let down a bit by ultron, but i've got more faith in the russo brothers to carry things...even if we're talking about the culmination of dozens of flicks so loaded with cameos & roles that it could very well be awesome, but could easily get lost in the weight of its cast & moreso its huge existential crisis. we know it won't go like infinity gauntlet but: will thanos live up to being one of the MCU's great villains? cause if not, all that star power might feel a bit flat to me

panther should be much smaller scale (gem aside) and the cast we've got here just keeps sounding more incredible. the dora mijale, zuri, killmonger, shuri, klaw - all the pieces are here for a really great movie, and everything looks like they're doing it right. i'm so hyped.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So these seem positive then.

DUwWBl0VwAAbSyY?format=jpg&name=small

#BlackPanther is exceptional - the James Bond of the MCU. You've seen nothing like this in a superhero movie - it's bold, beautiful & intense, but there's a depth & spiritualness that is unlike anything Marvel has ever done. It's 100% African & it is dope af.

DUwY3NMU0AAPcYR?format=jpg&name=small

The best part of #BlackPanther is how it unravels this deeply emotional & complex story about family ties & protecting your tribe. While lots will tout Michael B. Jordan as the stand-out, my favs were Danai Gurira & especially BP's lil sis, Letitia Wright

DUwbW36VwAAHQCl?format=jpg&name=small

Lastly, #BlackPanther is an audience movie. See it with a crowd cause they will be loud. It is a very proud movie & a female first movie, and I hope it crushes at the box office, paving the way for a future full of much greater representation

DUxHI3BVwAENqj_?format=jpg&name=small

Black Panther is the best MCU movie ever. I was blown away from start to finish and I’m not even being biased. This was by far the best marvel movie to date. Thank you, Ryan Coogler! #BlackPanther

Shuri was a breath of fresh air. It was so awesome to see a young black girl be the brains of the team. She had great comedic timing as well. ???#BlackPanther

BLACK PANTHER is like a Marvel movie, but better. the action is predictably awful, but this is the first MCU film that has an actual sense of identity & history & musicality. Wakanda is alive. whole cast is great but the women (and the war rhinos) steal the show — Danai Gurira!

BLACK PANTHER is incredible, kinetic, purposeful. A superhero movie about why representation & identity matters, and how tragic it is when those things are denied to people. The 1st MCU movie about something real; Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger had me weeping and he’s the VILLAIN

DUwlcLdUMAAZXlB?format=jpg&name=small

#BlackPanther: I never wanted this movie to end, and as soon as it did I wanted to go back. Solid action, smart story, tons of personality. Shuri is my new fave, Nakia is everything, Killmonger is incredible, T'Challa deserves to rule the MCU. Coogler has done it again. ???

Ok, 1am. Social Embargo lifted. Oh??My ??Fuckin ??God ??#BlackPanther was fantastic. Believe the hype. #carryon.

Black Panther is crazy impressive. Little slow at first, but fantastic world building, great performances. Most stand alone Marvel movie since first Guardians. More a drama than an action movie which is a good thing.

Black Panther is crazy impressive. Little slow at first, but fantastic world building, great performances. Most stand alone Marvel movie since first Guardians. More a drama than an action movie which is a good thing.

Letitia Wright is the huge surprise in #BlackPanther she steals every scene she’s in

Also, great speech from T’Challa that talks about building bridges and not walls (or something like that). Subtle jab at Trump #BlackPanther

Black Panther looks, feels and sounds unlike any Marvel film to date. A visual feast. Wakanda is amazingly realized, the antagonist actually has an arc with emotional motivations. Marvels most political movie. So good. #BlackPanther

Ryan Coogler knocked it out of the park, some great sequences presented in a “single take/shot.” If this movie isn’t nominated for costume, art and production design awards next year, I would be seriously shocked. #blackpanther

BLACK PANTHER is just astonishing. Ryan Coogler has harnessed the superhero movie — and a really fun one! — to explore profound ideas and create vivid images of black excellence that so rarely ever make it to a giant Hollywood movie. Wow wow wow!

BLACK PANTHER is just astonishing. Ryan Coogler has harnessed the superhero movie — and a really fun one! — to explore profound ideas and create vivid images of black excellence that so rarely ever make it to a giant Hollywood movie. Wow wow wow!

Oh, and Danai Gurira needs to headline her own action franchise RIGHT NOW. #BlackPanther

Soooo I went to an early screening, and #BlackPanther IS A MASTERPIECE. Period. End of story. Excuse me while I gather my thoughts and feelings... ??????

The nuances and details in the #BlackPanther storyline are impeccable. I didn’t feel pandered to, stereotyped or turned off. I felt incredible pride at every turn and these are fictional characters. Like, that’s a real accomplishment.

— Natasha Alford ?? (@NatashaSAlford) January 30, 2018

If you don’t understand the power of representation, imagine growing up never seeing a superhero who looks like you. When American Girl dolls came out I always picked Addy who had to escape slavery. But now kids have #BlackPanther’s Nakia, Shuri and Okoye. Dope on many levels.

DUxGe24W0AEE1wO?format=jpg&name=small

Marvel Studios continues their streak (and then some) with #BlackPanther. One of their best looking and sounding films. Oh and this is 110% a Ryan Coogler film.

#BlackPanther is unlike any other Marvel Studios film. Seriously. When I call this one "fresh", I mean it in so many ways.

Michael B. Jordan kills it as Killmonger. Pun intended. Shuri is going to be a fan-favorite character. That soundtrack...wow. #BlackPanther

#BlackPanther has a message and does not f*** around telling it. At. All.

DUxIhIMV4AAhVaK?format=jpg&name=small

#marvel does it again with 'Black Panther'. Very impressed with the story and filmmaking. @michaelb4jordan absolutely kills it as the villain and is the best one since Loki. Also @DanaiGurira kicks so much ass and I loved every second of it. Going to make serious $.

DUxO7b-VoAAHu3t?format=jpg&name=small

Something else I love about 'Black Panther' is Ryan Coogler found an organic way to talk about important real world issues without it feeling preachy or fake. That's hard to do in any movie but to make it work in a big #Marvel movie is even more impressive. #LongLiveTheking

DUxGZqkVMAAmjoB?format=jpg&name=small

BLACK PANTHER is black as fuck and I love it for it. Y'all don't understand how good it feels to see. I want to live in Wakanda. #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger is the MCU's best villain thus far. His comments on colonialism as well as his motivations defined on imperialism...yo... #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

Letecia Wright as Shuri is gonna be everyone's favorite character. I need her and the Dora Milaje in an A-FORCE movie (female Avengers) with She-Hulk, Black Widow, and Captain Marvel ASAP. #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

Ludwig Goransson's score is so dope. African chants with hard-hitting 808s. Cotdamn! #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

The whole cast brings weight to their characters you're sucked in. The drama is just as compelling as the action. Ryan Coogler da Gawd did the damn thing. #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

I hope Rachel Morrison is nominated again next year for Best Cinematography. Her work her is incredible. #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

To all my black folks out there so up and often. This movie is important and so damn good to let it fall to the wayside. I'm making sure my whole family see this. #BlackPanther #BlackPantherSoLit

Wow. Black Panther is the best MCU movie ever. I’m not even being biased. This was by far the best marvel movie to date. #BlackPanther

#BlackPanther is hands down my FAVORITE @Marvel movie so far! Also, the women in this movie KICK ASS!!! Freaking spectacular!

DUxGyCjVQAAIHjB?format=jpg&name=small

You guys aren’t ready for #BlackPanther. It may be the strongest film in the MCU since The Winter Soldier. Ryan Coogler has made something so firmly fresh and new within the confines of the Marvel universe. Boseman and Jordan are just phenomenal, and I need more Wakanda now.

I still can’t believe this movie exists. Coogler did something so unique, different, and important for not only the MCU, but superhero films in general. Also, the action is just outstanding. I’m just floored by what was accomplished here. This is a cultural event. #BlackPanther

So much love for Black Panther. The exploration of Wakanda is phenomenal, Erik Killmonger is unquestionably one of Marvel's best villains, and manages to be both fun and dramatic. Can't wait to see it again!

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

I could review #BlackPanther or I could let the moment where Danai Gurira throws her wig speak for itself

The MVP of #BlackPanther is Letitia Wright's hilarious, ebullient Shuri. I want a Shuri supercut, I want a Shuri spinoff, I want a capsule collection of Shuri sportswear at Opening Ceremony, and I want these things now!

I'm coming out of watching #BlackPanther thinking that it may be the best #Marvel movie yet. Wow!!

DUxHEmqXkAAtlxJ?format=jpg&name=small

#BlackPanther is simply awesome. Extremely bold and as touching as it is thrilling, it boasts GOT-style intrigue, crazy innovative action and a deep bench of memorable characters. Top 5 all-time Marvel movie, easy. More later.

DUxHdUQXkAAzpWx?format=jpg&name=small

(Also, sorry Loki, Rocket, Groot, et al. Letitia Wright’s Shuri is gonna be everybody’s new favorite Marvel scene-stealer.)

#BlackPanther is everything we all wanted it to be. A smart, emotional, well-told story. And just f'ing beautiful.

I don't know if I would have pegged Phase 3 being when Marvel decided to unpack the legacy of colonialism, with surprising amounts of success, but here we are.

That said...
*The crowd lifts Todd aloft*
I had...
*They put him in a wicker man*
Some third act issuuuuuueeeees...
?????????????

The cast is GREAT, tho, and Ryan Coogler is a wonderful image maker, and Michael B. Jordan is the best Marvel villain (not even just by default). This movie has a lot on its mind, and I was mostly enthralled.

DUxGWEuVMAUJgnU?format=jpg&name=small

Can’t say too much about #BlackPanther. What I will say is it’s action and adventure is nothing compared to its story and soul. I loved it. Can’t wait to see again.

Can’t say too much about #BlackPanther. What I will say is it’s action and adventure is nothing compared to its story and soul. I loved it. Can’t wait to see again. pic.twitter.com/TGFKqNGo9N

#BlackPanther is an instant classic people will watch decades from now. Coogler deserved his standing-o when he introduced the cast up top

Coogler does it again! 3 for 3 #blackpanther is thrilling, emotional and has one of the best villains in the MCU. Every character has purpose and it’s a pure ride from start to finish. Great movie.

BLACK PANTHER is not screwing around. By far the most political Marvel chapter, to the point I had to remind myself this is a Marvel movie. BLACK PANTHER is a movie with a lot to say.

Also, Michael B. Jordan ... damn

OH MY GOD YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO #BlackPanther ITS SURREAL HOW AMAZING this film is !!!

Like OMG I'm in tears from the beauty the music the score this is an EVENT. Go see #BlackPanther WHEN IT HITS THEATERS. I watched GROWN MEN go in tears.

@michaelb4jordan as Erik Killmonger is everything you wanted in a villain and more. A reason for his hate and a pain you sympathize with. The trailers do not do him full justice of the essence of his character.

#BlackPanther is so kick ass. The female characters in it are amazing. Both physical forces and intellectual badasses. Yes!

#BlackPanther also has as great villain, which can been tough for superhero movies to get right. Actually, I cared a lot about many of the characters.

DUxZstPU8AAWtEr?format=jpg&name=small

#BlackPanther is a powerful new way to explore the comic book idea "With great power comes great responsibility." It's everything you hope - and still manages to surprise.

#BlackPanther is way more topical than I anticipated, but also timeless in a way. It asks all of its characters what they stand for besides themselves. This is the kind of fantasy that inspires real heroism.

DUxbswZU8AAN4a_?format=jpg&name=small

Also, wow, #BlackPanther is a beautiful movie. The people, the tech, the costumes, the landscapes, the dreamscapes... Marvel and dir Ryan Coogler have created a superhero movie that looks and feels like nothing else.

BLACK PANTHER is fantastic. Beautiful, soulful, thoughtful and of the moment. Ryan Coogler knows what he’s doing. Long live T’Challa!

black panther was beautif

Edited by Axels
Holy moly thats long
  • Like 1

^i love what i'm reading, even if it's a mess!

my favorite take so far:

• Like 2