Hondo's Bar

Black Panther

A blip in the entertainment news section has a rumor that the Alt-right is trying to trash the Rotten Tomatoes score for Black Panther. Not sure what to make of that headline; is it a couple of loosely affiliated trolls or is it a concentrated effort by a sizable body of the hate-machine; but it's stupid, bigoted and petty so I sure as hell wouldn't put it past them.

• Sad 1

On 2/2/2018 at 9:38 AM, Drifter said:

A blip in the entertainment news section has a rumor that the Alt-right is trying to trash the Rotten Tomatoes score for Black Panther. Not sure what to make of that headline; is it a couple of loosely affiliated trolls or is it a concentrated effort by a sizable body of the hate-machine; but it's stupid, bigoted and petty so I sure as hell wouldn't put it past them.

This is the type of annoying shit you want to ignore, but it's just so upsetting. It's so stupid but infuriating. Rotten Tomatoes has already come out and said they'll block anyone who writes hate speech on their site, but I don't see how they can stop people from just leaving it bad ratings. Ugh. I'm so irritated!

If pre-sale ticket sales are any indication, this film will do amazingly well, and word of mouth will likely take care of the rest after opening night. Hopefully it'll be a critical success as well. I wonder if there are any counter-campaigns to bump the score back up if this shit takes hold. I've never left a user rating on RT, but I would this time!

• 2 weeks later...

Black Panther is a good superhero movie with tinges of some very relevant social commentary. It tiresomely retreads some MCU themes (fathers & sons; dealing with power) but overall it delivers on what you'd expect from an MCU film at this point. (Well, with less overt attempts at humor.) It also gives Wonder Woman a run for its money in terms of number of heroines on screen. Danai Gurira, Forest Whitaker, & Sterling K. Brown all also give great performances. SK Brown was phenomenal actually. He's in only two scenes, but they're pivotal. And his performance is just so pure and real. 

Chadwick Boseman does a good enough job in the titular role; his T'challa is very diplomatic, contemplative, and understanding. But that danger and gravitas that the T'challa I know from the comics (Illuminati T'challa) just doesn't come across on screen for me. Now, someone might say that this Black Panther is lacking in those departments due to his newness in his position as king; however, I saw a much more fearsome and formidable Panther/T'challa in Civil War than I did in Black Panther. So I know the character and actor is capable of delivering on screen more than I saw in this film. And that's frustrating as a moviegoer and MCU fan. Bottom line is it's a great addition to the MCU and definitely worth seeing on the big screen. 

easily the finest MCU piece since Winter Soldier, and does a lot more character/world-building as well.  it was a supehero flick with a lot of great social commentary & made room for a 007 lane as well, while continuing the trend of delivering higher-tier villains in this phase than before. 

the Dora Milaje were spot-on (in all functions), and the king & his sister shuri's exchanges were a highlight as well, they just played off each other so well & made for such likable characters.  marvel's full of kings (black bolt, namor etc) and they really need good character interactions like that to humanize them & make them interesting - shuri would've been a success for me if she simply did that; what i got was a character i'd watch another flick about.  

i can't really think of a thing i'd change - more kendrick & staples joints on the soundtrack?  just fantastic, so glad this delivered. 

curious that we didn't see the last infinity gem, i keep thinking Thanos is gonna Namor up Wakanda to get it & force T'Challa to the field

• Really Like 1

Loved every minute of this, even the slower more dialogue heavy scenes. I usually zone out during action scenes or car chases but there was some truly original stuff happening here that kept it interesting! Coogler did an excellent job of making me care about every character, even the villain. I had an absolute blast with this and may catch it again before it leaves theaters! 

Edited by Donutella
  • Upvote 1

BOX OFFICE: BLACK PANTHER May Now Be Heading Towards A Mind-Blowing $205 Million Weekend

BOX OFFICE: BLACK PANTHER May Now Be Heading Towards A Mind-Blowing $205 Million Weekend

Black Panther just keeps on exceeding expectations at the North American box office because the latest figures are in and analysts believe the movie could top $200 million! Hit the jump for details!

Josh Wilding | 2/17/2018
Filed Under: "Black Panther" Source: The Hollywood Reporter

BP1.jpg

There must be a lot of celebrations going on at Marvel Studios this weekend because The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that Black Panther is set to make history at the box office to score a four-day opening weekend of $205 million. The movie has generated an A+ CinemaScore from audiences and after earning $25.2 million in Thursday evening previews, it made an estimated $70+ million Friday.

Disney is erring on the side of caution by predicting that the movie will debut with $190 million - $205 million but it's entirely possible that Black Panther will top The Avengers ($207.4 million) to become the biggest superhero movie of all-time. Whatever it ends up making, though, it's a huge hit for Marvel Studios and has exceeded expectations in a way literally no one could have imagined a year ago

• Like 1
  • Really Like 1

1 hour ago, MetalHeart said:

Prebought tickets for today at 11:30am. Get to theater. Buy $5 plus change drink to share. Get settled in reserved seats. Family comes up with same seats in same screen as us. Realize that the tickets were for Monday, not Sunday.

:(

Gonna try to catch this next weekend...

Nooooo!!! I would've been so upset! That sucks but it will absolutely be worth the wait!

• Upvote 1