Hondo's Bar

Black Panther

1 hour ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

Maybe my favorite scene of the film:

That was fantastic! I love behind the scenes featurettes and this "anatomy of a scene" is fascinating! Man I wish I could see a breakdown of the whole film this way. I'm very impressed at his process and the significance placed on African culture, femininity, etc. I'm definitely seeing this again in the theater.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, Donatella said:

That was fantastic! I love behind the scenes featurettes and this "anatomy of a scene" is fascinating! Man I wish I could see a breakdown of the whole film this way. I'm very impressed at his process and the significance placed on African culture, femininity, etc. I'm definitely seeing this again in the theater.  

Yeah,  these breakdowns are really cool especially considering Vanity Fair has been putting them out while the movies are still in theaters. Taika W. did one for Thor Ragnarok that was great, but I’m not sure if I posted it in that thread or not. Definitely worth giving  it a look. 

And here is something else pretty awesome. Mark Bernardin  is probably my favorite film critic/analyst at the moment. He’s the only reason I subscribe to Kevin Smith’s channel on YouTube. He used to be a film critic for the LA Times but quit in order to pursue his dream as a full-time screenwriter. He wrapped up his first job on the new Hulu series Castlerock and as far as I know it’s still currently looking for another gig. Anyway, he has a keen eye for observation and analysis and is a true-blue diehard geek. I always look forward  to hearing his thoughts on a film, especially superhero and sci-fi genre stuff. 

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Link

Some other things to put into perspective:

1.  The current estimates put this weekend's haul at $108 million.  The first Avergers movie "only" made $103 million in it's second weekend.

2.  Age of Ultron is the 2nd highest grossing MCU movie.  Black Panther will more than likely overtake it during it's third weekend.

Taking the #2 spot is a forgone conclusion at this point, but folks, I think there's a strong possibility that this might eclipse Avengers as the #1 grossing MCU movie.  Despite a slightly lower opening, it's currently outpacing Avengers, crossing the $400 million barrier four days faster than Avengers did.  How crazy is this?!?  And to think I was genuinely concerned that renewed racial tensions in Trump's America would hurt this film at the box office...  

Don't be surprised if the next MCU film gets renamed Black Panther and The Avengers: Infinity War

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
  • Like 1

‘Black Panther’ Box Office Success Has Theater Owners Asking for More Diverse Superhero Movies

Shang_Chi.jpg

cmon Shang Chi!

1.  The current estimates put this weekend's haul at $108 million. 

Weekend total was updated to $111,658,835 million.

That makes it about 44% - 45% drop.

2.  Age of Ultron is the 2nd highest grossing MCU movie.  Black Panther will more than likely overtake it during it's third weekend.

It going to happen by Tuesday  or Wednesday.

BP $403,613,257

Age of Ultron $459,005,868

Edited by Newtype
  • Like 1

Don't let the title fool you, it's a takedown on others who are saying that. It really isn't a vid for anyone here, but it's kinda cathartic hearing this guy debunking a bunch of nazis. This channel has a few pretty interesting videos, and I just enjoy his voice. 

Deadline: Christopher Nolan Predicts Best Picture Oscar Nomination For BLACK PANTHER

Speaking of Dunkirk, I caught up with a very happy Christopher Nolan at the Govs Ball and showed off my lunch box. His brilliant WWII epic took three Oscars, earning him many shout-outs from winners onstage. It was the second-best haul of the nightafter Shape’s four, even though there was disappointment that Hoyte van Hoytema’s cinematography wasn’t one of them. “So what’s gonna win next year?” Nolan asked me half-jokingly. He predicted Black Panther will be among the Best Picture nominees in 2019, which would make it the first comic-book movie to break that ceiling with the Academy. I reminded him that it was because of The Dark Knight’s exclusion that the Academy went to 10 (and now up to 10) nominees to get movies like that included, but to no avail so far. A top Disney exec told me flat out that they would be campaigning not only Black Panther for the big prize but also the upcoming Mary Poppins Returns (from director Rob Marshall), which he was raving about, particularly for star Emily Blunt. who he says knocks it out of the park in the role for which Julie Andrews already has an Oscar. Lin-Manuel Miranda co-stars. and he says there are a lot of great new songs in it as well. The teaser trailer broke in the first segment of last night’s show, but we have to wait until Christmas to see if the film lives up to Disney’s early prediction. The first Mary Poppins wowed Oscar in 1964, when it received 13 nominations, winning five but losing Best Picture to My Fair Lady. Other than through its one-time association with Miramax, Disney remains the only major studio not to have a Best Picture winner of its own, yet another reason to make sure they don’t mess with Fox Searchlight’s Midas touch.

7f8.gif

Black Panther:

Domestic: $512,686,293   

+ Foreign: $408,700,000  

= Worldwide: $921,386,293 (for now)

Captain America: Civil War

Domestic: $408,084,349   

+ Foreign: $745,220,146   

= Worldwide: $1,153,304,495

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Domestic: $459,005,868   

+ Foreign: $946,397,826