Hondo's Bar

Should Hondo's have a history forum?

alive she cried

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, for a while we've been bitching at Nick for a history forum. As far as I remember, Nick's arguement (apologies if I'm putting words in your mouth) is that we don't need it. We can just post those threads in existing forums (Politics?). And you want to keep Hondo's as uncluttered as possible.

I understand where you're coming from (if you're still coming form there). But for me, I find the lack of History forum and (for me) a legitimate place to post them, just pushes me to forgo posting them at all.

So from now I intend to make a conscious effort to post the History threads I've always wanted to post, BUT I will also tag every thread with "History forum" so that when you eventually cave, it'll be easier for you to find the relevant threads to put in it. :D

Edited by alive she cried

I don't really care if history has it's own subforum. I post what I want just whereever I think it's appropriate. If Nick or someone with admin powers doesn't like it, they can move it. That being said, if it's such a big deal to others though, I don't see why we shouldn't have one. If Hondo's is anything like the Knoll, creating a subforum isn't that diffcult.

(You didn't include a who cares option so I felt that I had to justify my vote.) Will people really post that often in a history forum though? I think that's what should be put to vote. I mean...it is history after all. What is there really to discuss? "Hey, didja hear about that Archduke guy that got hisself shot?"

If we do get one, I think it should go in politics, but I think if it does, we need to drop the word Politics from that forum and keep it Current Events. For me personally, seeing the word politics in a forum name immediately makes me NOT want to go in there. It overshadows the Current Events part. I think a good amount of current events and news gets posted there, it's just my initial reaction to seeing it.

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely for changing Politics to Current Events and adding History as a sub forum.

What is there really to discuss? "Hey, didja hear about that Archduke guy that got hisself shot?"

Well, I'm interested in posting some threads particularly regarding Irish history (since we've so many Irish Americans here). And there's a lot of debate still on why and how certain events happened, that can lead to interesting discussions in my experience.

Ok, granted the search function does not work all that great...

Irish history? Ok, sure. When you were talking history I just immediately thought world history. Very general stuff like WWII, Charlemange, Alexander, and Egypt. Gotta be honest, I'm Irish about two generations back but I know next o nothing about Irish history. Unless you count the folklore. I got a decent grasp on that. And I love shepherd's pie and soda bread. But I guess that isn't really history either. Damn, I'm ignorant.

tumblr_me4tq8lnwr1qdrbtoj9.gif

Ht1Fizw.gif

okay maybe

here's the specifics:

- My general stance against subforums is that - loathe as i am to admit it - once in a while, Jumbie's right, and they're often forum ghettos that no one remembers to visit. that's not to say that every corner requires constant hits/moderation, as long as it serves a function...

but i always give the same answer here: can you currently point to a good 5-10 healthy threads that you'd want in there & would be relevant? cause if not, it doesn't make sense.

- Amber's right that it's not difficult to make one, but i have to find a new skin, code a few mods to make them apply universally, etc...and every single upgrade, that's one more forum to do so, where we already have i think 25 or so

you'll notice its often around this time i look to consolidate a few of the dead/dying ones. so, if you guys wanna try it, i'm all for it; but 9 months later if it's still in the same forgotten shape, i'm not gonna feel bad deleting it & tossing its threads into say politics (sometimes i'll ask, mind you, and people will defend Pimp Hand like outta nowhere)

- If you guys want Politics just called Current Events, that's fine too. make a poll & pretend it's democratic! whatever works, it don't bother me none.

TL;DR show me some history threads, and E-$ if you're serious, make a name for it & elect another mod. also don't you think that karaoke couple at the gas station sings rather well

yeah, but some don't fly...history of games, art etc more belongs in their respective forums, lest we fall into

Technically like... Everything is history... Man!

rest seem legit, though...i think history of DD belongs in Suggestion Box but it's not something that gets read much either way i guess

Tulip is indeed a good nom too, she pushed for this before too but didnt have her trusty political machinery with her

I would have added Epic Rap Battles of History, but there should be something in the Lyricists Lounge.

yeah, but some don't fly...history of games, art etc more belongs in their respective forums

Nah, nah nah. Nah. I made those specifically to go in the inevitable History forum. It is the history of all things.

C'mon man, I've got Comic Book and Stand-Up Comedy history threads ready to rock 'n roll.

yet you don't want that one archived like Hondo's Inc for some reason

that makes no sense! people go into video games to talk about video games, history for historical shit. no one goes to a history forum and is like "oh cool, here's all those sports and comic book things i don't give a hoot about "