Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Geoguessr contest

Jumbie

Go to geoguessr.com and play. Post your score here so we can see who's the best.

I have a modest proposal:

Technically there are no rules to the game's use of streetview so you can roam around for miles to read signs and suss out landmarks etc, but I think the game is more fun when we play static: i.e. you can look around but not leave the spot they set you on.

(Also my slow internet isn't kind to moving around so I'm kinda stuck with static anyway.)

EDIT: Seems like the consensus is that we should roam about.

I also want to suggest we DON'T use google etc to look up street names or meanings of words or area codes etc that we notice in the photos. It should be done as if you were dropped in that place with naked and had to get yourself together.

EDIT:

Leaderboard:

Jumbie 24 230

Reverend Jax 23 750

Mr. Hakujin 20 739

DOJ 15 669

ASC 14 329

FDB 12 260

Axel Napalm 11 579

C U Space Cowboy 11 444

Benz 11 268

Edited by Jumbie

Awesome game Jumbie!

Challenge

My Score

Got lucky with a couple of the locations. Found some markers in two that let me narrow it down pretty close.

Name of actual city in one, Sign in Cyrillic in another. 'E' was pretty clearly Japan so I just chose a random spot there and lucked out guessing really close to the actual spot!

Technically there are no rules to the game's use of streetview so you can roam around for miles to read signs and suss out landmarks etc, but I think the game is more fun when we play static: i.e. you can look around but not leave the spot they set you on.

I also want to suggest we no use google etc to look up street names or meanings of words or area codes etc that we notice in the photos. It should be done as if you were dropped in that place with naked and had to get yourself together.

Whoops! Followed the first part (not moving too far), but not the second (used the google for A (visible phone number) and D (name of city was visible in pic), E was all me though baby!!)

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I had a really impressive round my first go, but my browser crashed in the 5th location. Since then, I'd had a few embarrassing rounds, including placing a pin in Australia when it was South Africa, and in Greece when it was in Russia (my first hunch was Ukraine, which would have been closer). I was upset when I had a hunch about Namibia, and I decided to go to Kenya instead, and my initial hunch was right.

I am not using Google for searching phone numbers or location names, but I am roaming. I think the non-roaming rule is dumb. Sorry about your slow connection, Jumbie, but I'm not letting it weight me down.

Protip: Use the compass in the top left corner to see if the sun is in the southern or northern half of the sky. If it's clearly in the southern half, you're in the northern hemisphere, and if it's clearly in the northern half, you're in the southern hemisphere. If it's more or less in between the two halves of the sky, you're in the tropics (north of Sao Paulo, south of Havana).

Edited by Reverend Jax

Well, I've been roaming too, but not more than 200 meters since that's all I can get without banging my fist on the computer from frustration with the load speeds.

Fuck it, lets allow roaming then. Googling phone numbers and the brand names on billboards etc should be out though. If you SEE a sign that says, "Ankara" well, that's just your good luck.

I'm surprised you guys were given locations in Namibia and North Africa.

So far I've actually been playing the game with a little crutch since they seem to not have anything in South America except Brazil and nothing in Africa except South Africa.

I've also gotten nothing east of upstate NY state and nothing west of Colorado on the contiguous USA.

No British Isles.

I've gotten *tons* of Scandanavia and the Baltic states. A lot of middle Russia, a lot of Australia and a lot of Brazil.

For the far east there doesn't seem to be anything in India and China. Got one Korea, a few Japans and a few Thailands. No Malaysia, no Laos, no Cambodia, no Taiwan.

I got to the point where I just basically start with about 10 areas in mind from the get go.

Edited by Jumbie