Hondo's Bar

Mickey Mouse redux

The NZA

Mickey Mouse to Star in New Cartoon Shorts with Classic Comedy, Contemporary Flair

03.12.13 – This series of 19, 2D cartoons will roll out on Disney Channel, Disney.com, and WATCH Disney Channel, beginning June 28.

031213_FS_MickeyMouseDisneyChannel_1.1.jpg

With the slapstick feel of classic Mickey Mouse, the series of cartoon shorts presents Mickey in a broad range of humorous situations that showcase his pluck and rascality, along with his long-beloved charm and good heartedness. Each cartoon short finds Mickey in a different contemporary setting including Santa Monica, New York, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Venice, and the Alps, facing a silly situation, a quick complication, and an escalation of physical and visual gags. The stories also feature genuine heartfelt and heroic moments as Mickey explores and experiences life with his comical partners: Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto.

The executive producer and director for the new Walt Disney Television Animation project is Emmy® Award-winning artist and director Paul Rudish (Dexter’s Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls). The shorts, geared towards kids and families, also include a few surprises from the production team for Disney fans of all ages.

Stories in the upcoming cartoon shorts include:

“Croissant de Triomphe”

Mickey must deliver croissants to Minnie’s cafe, battling street traffic and other Parisian obstacles along the way.

“Yodelberg”

Mickey longs to visit Minnie atop her mountaintop chalet but quickly realizes that the threat of avalanche has made the trek up the mountain more challenging than usual.

“No Service”

Mickey and Donald try to buy lunch from a beachside snack shack but are unceremoniously turned down because of the classic “No shirt, no shoes, no service” admonition (of course, Mickey doesn’t wear a shirt and Donald doesn’t wear shoes!).

Produced in 2D animation, the design esthetic for the Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts reaches back almost 80 years and borrows reverentially from the bold style of his 1930s design, but not before adding a few contemporary touches. Designs for other characters have a similar approach, favoring a “rubber-hose” cartoon style for more exaggerated animation. Background designs closely reflect the graphic design sense of 1950s and 1960s Disney cartoons. And for those true eagle-eyed Disney fans, the production team has also included the occasional homage to other icons from the storied Disney heritage.

link!

exE35fn.jpg

3Mjzfe1.jpg

daG26k9.jpg

K7pNlsa.jpg

Source: http://purplepeepbits.tumblr.com/

Damn, they've really done a number on Goofy there. I know he's always been the lovable tramp, but all he's missing is the needle in his arm.

Glad to see Pete being added more-and-more to the main character group.

Edited by Panch

I think Gooby might have killed Goofy and took his place. Goofy was always a play on the lovable drunken hobo character that Red Skelton made famous, they've kind of backed off that in intervening years in much the same way that Donald Duck is no longer a homicidal racist. Still, I'm sure Goofy will still be his usual clumsy idiotic self. The yellow eyes married with his general unkemptness and lack of pants (I don't think he's been without tem before) make him look more junkieish. I find it odd that Mickey and Minniw are being done classic, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto haven't changed at all, and Goofy is just a radically new design.

• 2 years later...

I got this on DVD a few months ago. It has 19 bite-size shorts and a making of documentary. I love it! LOL - Goofy is awesome in this - I loved his design! It's all wonderfully animated and it has that 30s spirit. The set is called Season 1, waiting for more!

Anybody seen that recent Mickey short - "Get A Horse!" It's brilliant! That's all Walt's original audio/dialogue!

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 5 months later...

That's the great Jim Cummings doing Peg-Leg Pete! This short is on the Frozen bluray - if you know anyone with the flick and bump into it...you should totally give this short a once over. It's jaw-dropping in 1080p.

get-a-horse__130902143840.jpg

EDIT: Did quite a bit of research on this short this morning - and Runaway Brain. This is archival audio of Billy Bletcher - the original voice of Pete and additional work by Will Ryan...not Cummings - I could've swore I read he had a hand in this!

I bring ah-great shame-uh...

2nd EDIT: Replaced the vid embed - the previous version got pulled.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...