Hondo's Bar

Do WB Have A "Nolanverse" Set GOTHAM PD TV Series In The Works?

84995.jpg

ThinkMcflyThink are on a roll with the Bat-related rumors. This time the site report that Warner Bros. have a tv series in mind which would be set sometime between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Read on for more.

Follow Mark "RorMachine":

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 8/7/2013

gotham-pd.jpg

DC and Warner Bros. may be done with the Batman movie universe created by Christopher Nolan, but According to ThinkMcflyThink they are looking to keep it alive on the small screen. Word is the studio is currently looking for a writer to bring them "a Gotham PD inspired television show that would essentially take place between the aftermath of The Dark Knight and before the return of Batman in The Dark Knight Rises." Apparently Jonah Nolan is involved with the project which would offer a glimpse into the efforts of the Gotham City Police Department to keep a handle on crime in Batman's absence. Now this isn't actually the first time a show like this has been rumored, so obviously we'll have to keep that grain of salt at the ready, but what do you guys think of the idea anyway?

Read more at http://www.comicbook...GcPecwlLQ7dx.99

Edited by alive she cried

Was the world asking for a Batman TV show without Batman?

Seriously though, I would put money on Gary Oldman NOT being in this, and if that is the case, I cannot see a reason why I would want to watch a Gotham PD show without Commissioner Gordon, especially during a period that was described in TDKR as an period of low crime.

Seems to me that WB believe Agents of SHIELD is going to be a smash hit and they want to get a competing show out ASAP, so they are working to develop this so if it is a hit, they can have this Gotham PD airing by SHIELD's 2nd season. If SHIELD bombs, then they can just scrap this Gotham PD idea.

Agreed all the buzz surrounding the SHIELD TV show is what likely prompted this rumor to crop up. If they can't get Oldman as Gordon it'd make more sense to set it up taking place between Batman Begins and TDKR. Maybe S1 could start with Batman first showing up then you could see how they were bought off, the rise of Harvey Dent in the IA dept.,the aftermath of the Joker's human goon bomb, etc. Basically, there's potential for good stories here. It's just very unlikely it'll happen that way.

Seriously though, I would put money on Gary Oldman NOT being in this, and if that is the case, I cannot see a reason why I would want to watch a Gotham PD show without Commissioner Gordon

Gotham Central was one of the best batman books of the last 10 years or so, and despite baytor, the most obvious candidate for a great show. no idea why it'd be set between those two films but i'd hope that would just be a selling point at best...seriously, ya'll should actually read it (it's sadly not a long series) before saying this stuff.

Why the hell does it need to be in that universe? A Gotham Central show sounds awesome on it's own. Setup its own standalone world and have fun with it. They don't have to link everything together as a desperate attempt to try and one up Marvel.

I'll take Animal Man if that falls through tho

sarcasmo really has lost his edge over the years

i mean yeah obviously you want that hook, but actually reading the source material before saying things is helpful here because you can kinda see why bruce's absence would help a bit early on, but later it'd be troubling - no that they have to stay verbatim but while the majority of the book is about that specific unit, bats does play an important background role

Haha, it could happen too! He doesn't seem to be pinned into an exclusive film career. It would give them incentive to up the standards of the show instead of some shitty CW thing. (I know Arrow has been getting good press an all, but still. ) Why can't network TV have AMC quality programming?

Playing Batman as an urban legend could work while the show focuses on the real cop stuff.

yeah, that's half the fun of the book - only problem i think you run into is

when big names like joker/freeze etc that the MCU can't handle show up & bats isn't there to take them down at night, it feels like bats is napping on the job

then again if this is between 2 and 3 in the nolanverse i guess that take joker & two-face off the map, which is a shame since some of the better stories came from them

i mean yeah obviously you want that hook, but actually reading the source material before saying things is helpful here

Actually, in understanding why WB would want a TV series set in the Nolanverse, having read the comic provides absolutely zero insight, because WB is not interested in making a panel-by-panel adaptation of any goddamn DC books. Look to the Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel to see how much any DC books served as signposts for WB. They have the rights to use the name 'Gotham Central' and they have a wildly successful cinematic universe that they can't continue on the big screen, at least for now, so fuck it, why not start preproduction work on a TV series, and if Agents of SHIELD pulls in big numbers, they'll have already done the groundwork to move forward quickly on a competing series. This TV show (if it happens) will share a name with the book, and probably little else. If they are feeling generous, they will give their TV show characters, which will have nothing to do with the characters in the book, the same names as some for the book's characters. The similarities will end there.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Downvote 1

Gotham Central was one of the best batman books of the last 10 years or so, and despite baytor, the most obvious candidate for a great show. no idea why it'd be set between those two films but i'd hope that would just be a selling point at best...seriously, ya'll should actually read it (it's sadly not a long series) before saying this stuff.

See, I have no problem with the concept of a Gotham Central TV series, the comic was pretty good and there's definitely room for growth... but not in the Nolanverse. Continual exposure to the Nolanverse is a bad thing as it puts at risk everyone realizing how fucking silly it all is and also because all the names associated with it have pissed off. They'd be lucky to get a Cillian Murphy cameo, let alone a Gary Oldman or Joseph Gordon Levitt. It would be a good lead-up to a new Batman movie but it's just going to be an empty torch the studio's carrying for the old Batman movies that aren't going to get made anymore. They're closing the barn door long after the horse has left and they just need to let go and move on. Start a new series with no ties to the Nolan-verse, tie it to the Man of Steel universe and introduce us to Batman as an Urban Legend, introduce familiar faces by new actors. THAT would work gangbusters, but WB is still woefully inept at figuring out how to market these extremely marketable characters. It's pathetic.

I thought about that when I first read this and remembered how you gave it your endorsement. I still haven't gotten around to it yet; it's in my "to read before I die" folder though.

Possibly they could mix stories/plots from the GC comic w/ the Nolan-verse. I still think what I would like to see most out of any GCPD themed drama is Aaron Eckhart reprise Harvey Dent and show his rise in the GCPD Internal Affairs Department.

And why does it have to be the BIG baddies? They'd be best to focus on regular crime bosses and or bottom tier Batvillains.

YES! Killer Moth, Mad Hatter, The Riddler, Hugo Strange, Killer Croc, even The Penguin. These would all work better for a show than just rehashing Joker/Bane/Catwoman/Ra's Al Ghul.

pretty sure he's serious, and that'd work better too. also i'm totally with ryan on the nolan verse kinda being exposed if it stays as a default for too long.

Actually, in understanding why WB would want a TV series set in the Nolanverse, having read the comic provides absolutely zero insight, because WB is not interested in making a panel-by-panel adaptation of any goddamn DC books.

you're losing track here: i was commenting on your previous ignorant statements seen below

Seriously though, I would put money on Gary Oldman NOT being in this, and if that is the case, I cannot see a reason why I would want to watch a Gotham PD show without Commissioner Gordon, especially during a period that was described in TDKR as an period of low crime.

you asked questions on why you/anyone would want to see this, i was trying to remind you how silly that is when you don't even want to take the time to check out a short and excellent book that it's about. if you wish to sidestep that and instead discuss the box office/sales-age #s you prefer, feel free to do so, but i'm about as interested in that as i am continuing down this road of your childish cussing/snark, honestly.

• 1 month later...

Fox Moving Ahead With GOTHAM TV Series; Will Focus On "Detective" Gordon Before BATMAN

87604.jpg

We're all extremely familiar with Commissioner Jim Gordon and his relationship with the Caped Crusader, but a new television series being developed by Warner Bros. and aired on Fox, will explore his time as a detective in Gotham long before he ever met Batman. Read on for details!

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 9/24/2013

24892048782980490.jpg

Just minutes after the first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. aired on ABC, Warner Bros. have released a piece of news - via Deadline - which should have little to no trouble in stealing the spotlight! In what is being described as "one of the biggest drama deals this season", Fox has nabbed the rights to Gotham and have already given the show - from Warner Bros. and Mentalist creator Bruno Heller - a series commitment. However, rather than focusing on Batman (who will NOT be a part of the series) or any of his superpowered allies, the show will tell the story of a young Commissioner James Gordon. While it's likely that we'll see some familiar faces from the DC Universe, Gotham will feature a young Gordon as a detective before he meets the Caped Crusader and takes control of the police department. The seemingly official logline states that it will tell, "the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous" So, who wants to bet that this will be somehow linked to Batman/Superman? Sound off with your thoughts below!

Read more at http://www.comicbook...DPkM7rEdssyt.99