Hondo's Bar

Cleansing fire of admin incompetence II: Die Harder

The NZA

tumblr_nbwwitEfDn1rq7z94o1_r1_400.gif

For those who missed it on facebook: after 4+ hours of downtime last week wednesday (9/10), I did some digging & found us a new server. I wanted to run a full backup of the site before transferring us over (in case something went wrong) but of course couldn't log in, so I requested our tech support issue me a temp password to the control panel whenever it was up again. After a few of the ones they provided failed, I was told my "DNS had been fixed", and to my horror, our site was as you see it - back to October 2013.

I spent the last week trying to have them fix this, but every backup they'd kept brought us to the same point. Amazingly, they have since "lost" even those backups - anyone who's inclined to leave a terrible yelp/etc review for host4geeks, please feel free. I'm writing a letter tonight to see if we can at least recoup on some of the service fees since they failed us so terribly.

I, however, did not do my due diligence in both maintaining & testing manual backups, and looking back, we've been with this company for a year of increasingly worse service which has kept a number of you from reliably accessing the site, and I'm sorry for both of these things. I'm really hoping this new server doesn't keep any of you out, so consider the next 3 weeks a stress test - I agreed to pay for 1 year of service up front (at a much lower rate) but we have 30 days to get that money back if we run into similar issues. Sadly, the first week was spent trying to fix things, but I figure we need to get back online, in whatever state.

Where we go from here

1) I understand there's sites for archives/internet wayback machine etc, so any thread in a forum viewable to the public - mostly the entertainment ones - we hopefully should be able to see elsewhere from the many bots/search engines we have floating about; i encourage any of you to look these up & feel free to start some threads back up again! I myself will be doing just that soon enough.

2) I'm aware of certain minor issues, and here's the thing: I'm gonna run some diagnostics to keep us stable but not put a lot of effort into fixing this, as IPB (our forum software) is set to release some big changes in version 4.0 later this year, and loathe as I am to admit it, we're overdue for an upgrade. By all accounts, none of our current skins or plugins will work, so i'm extracting logos & the stuff we can carry over but the rest of the coding itself is gonna be short-lived anyway!

Really, some of the biggest losses I can recall are some of the great posts you guys had recently in the "how the fuck are you doing" thread, but I hope this doesn't discourage you guys too much. Please post & help me get things caught back up, and let me know any issues you have at all!

Back.png

• Upvote 4

I hope you're not beating yourself up too bad over this. Thank you for all the time, money and effort you put into this place. A full time job and a compulsive video game addiction and you still manage to devote a hefty percentage of your free time to keeping this place afloat.

And future me may or may not have sabotaged the backups to erase potentially embarrassing details about my personal life.

• Upvote 1

thanks guys...not gonna lie, i did beat myself up over this a bit, really hate letting people down. your words mean a lot.

so i lost the new threads I put up last night, but fortunately kept some form of backups (i was uncertain we'd completely switched over), everything's looking & running great on my end but again i need you guys to tell me at the first sign of any trouble, especially logging in/etc, here or FB or wherever - we have until Oct. 10th to keep a 1 year contract with siteground, and for the rate they agreed to I'm really hoping it works but don't want us settling again, so keep me informed of any problems!

I have witnessed first hand the shitiness Nick/ Hondos have gone through these past few months and especially this week; I can say that Nick has tried his best in keeping this board up. It sucks that data got lost, but the important thing is that Hondonians made connections this past year and are more than happy to return to continue those social links. HOly shit, I've been playing way too much Persona 3.

Anyway, glad to see people around. Let's give this new server a chance and hopefully no more tears of sorrow or loneliness from Hondonians! Let's us rejoice in community and drinks!

Cheers to all~

you do know nick it's cause your irish, if your people had just voted for independence today this wouldn't have happpened(I think thats the worst thing I've said today)

I suppose I'll keep posting, sucks i lost so much of my work from the last year ;)

Also I good hardy FUCK YOU to the old hosting company, people like that need to go work in fast food not guarding people's memories.

i think he knows, he's just a monster

No, that was on Firefox, I couldn't log in on Chrome at all (still can't. Have cleared cache and still unable to log in).

ah, this is troubling, man - what exactly happens when you try? i keep looking at the images you posted and it just looks like the first post is oddly blown up & overlapping the later ones, that's not a problem i can emulate over here so i don't know how yet to fix it. you're not having that particular issue on other sites as well are you?

well...why not

side note: ahahaha, there's no way they're not being petty now

1) my strongly-worded letter has not been responded to by legal or any other dept yet. Coincidentally, turns out the possible owner/admin is the lead tech guy who kept telling me the data loss was possibly our fault for that oddity he found in the logs (the one which turned out to be a backup Yahve made in august 2002). can't imagine i'm on his christmas card list.

2) better still, even though i put in an immediate cancellation request a day or so back, their automatic billing company just took a month out of the card I had on file. I'm literally just waiting for the charge to post to reverse it, because getthefuckouttahere

555322240.gif?

really tempted to reverse charges for the last few months before that as well, really gotta get around to writing up some pleasant reviews for this joint

i think he knows, he's just a monster ah, this is troubling, man - what exactly happens when you try? i keep looking at the images you posted and it just looks like the first post is oddly blown up & overlapping the later ones, that's not a problem i can emulate over here so i don't know how yet to fix it. you're not having that particular issue on other sites as well are you?

That overlapping issue seemed to be a once off, it only happened once and only in this thread. Hasn't happened since then. I can also now log in on Chrome as well. Seems to be smooth sailing for me now.

Fucknuggets. You mean all my posts for the last year are gone? Both of them?!

Nah seriously, that is some fucked up shit from the hosting company. Rest assured that a company selling server space that "loses backups" will not stay in business very long.

Fear not. I see like the end of Fight Club. Tear it all down and rebuild. It's liberating.

That overlapping issue seemed to be a once off, it only happened once and only in this thread. Hasn't happened since then. I can also now log in on Chrome as well. Seems to be smooth sailing for me now.

really glad to hear this, sounds like everything's on point so far!