Hondo's Bar

The Flash

Keth

Kevin Smith to Direct Episode of The Flash

kevin-smith-flash-165407.jpg

Today, it was The CW’s turn at the Television Critics Association winter 2016 tour and the network made a few announcements regarding their slate of DC programming.

First up was The Flash, which The CW president Mark Pedowitz confirmed will have an episode directed later this year by filmmaker and avowed comic book fanboy, Kevin Smith. There’s no word on what the content of Smith’s episode will contain but the episode will air in May.

(source)

• 5 weeks later...

Holy fuck, that last episode. It's gotta be my favorite of the entire series so far.

All of it was just a pure joy to watch. Major feels when Barry talked to his Earth-2 mom and just the way they introduced the doppelgangers. I'm still betting that Zoom is Wally West. It's pretty much confirmed he can't be Jay at this point, and I'm pretty sure the Hunter Zolomon cameo earlier in the series was a red herring. Earth-2 Eobard Thawne/Eddie would be too cheap or easy I think.

This show is fucking amazing.

^I'm not gonna read that because that's S2E13 you're talking about and I'm only caught up to S2E12 as of now. But it's been killing me haveing this thread on blackout while I play catch up. That whole previous page was golden. I was disappointed there wasn't more discussion and/or pics of F&F Iris. And speaking of Iris, she is wearing jackets/coats in damn near erry scene this season, but Barry's mediocre blonde, CSI wannabe crush was always in skin-tight, scooped necked tops. Wardrobe department needs to get their shit together when it comes to Iris.

I agree with NZA that Zoom being Wally West would be terrible. I'm guessing Earth 2 Zoom is either Papa Allen or my long-shot, off the wall guess is he's Jay Garrick from another Earth. Speaking of Jay, he's been dying because of his lack of "speed force," and Earth2 Harrison Wells figures out a way to siphon off Barry's speed force to give to Zoom, but no one puts it together that they can use this method to possibly save Jay? WTF?!? I expected Snow to chime in with that right away in S2E12, but everyone was too busy listening to Barry's lame "second chances" speech to even put that together, I suppose.

I dunno, the whole Zoom/Wells storyline seems riddled with holes. Fortunately it's entertaining enough to keep me going back for more.

The whole Jay Garrick story has been pretty disappointing, in my opinion. When dude's helmet came through the breach at the end of season one I got so excited (not cause I'm a huge fan of the character or anything. I just love that kinda shit). The possibility of having two Flashes running around sounded so fun, but nope. Dude has been useless. Other than that, the show is top notch.

Okay, I'm all caught up with the show now!

<br />

Holy fuck, that last episode. It's gotta be my favorite of the entire series so far.<br />

All of it was just a pure joy to watch. Major feels when Barry talked to his Earth-2 mom and just the way they introduced the doppelgangers. I'm still betting that Zoom is Wally West. It's pretty much confirmed he can't be Jay at this point, and I'm pretty sure the Hunter Zolomon cameo earlier in the series was a red herring. Earth-2 Eobard Thawne/Eddie would be too cheap or easy I think.

This show is fucking amazing.

Re S2E13

Okay, I get how this show is plot first and I get how things like dialogue and direction can sometimes take wayside to the bigger picture, but as great as all the elements of this episode are, it just had some major face palm moments for me. Two in particular...

Face palm moment #1: CCPD sends just two cops and some random guy (Cisco) to take down to of the city's most deadly super villains?!? The fuh? I know there are budget constraints on a TV show, but damn, at least put in a line how Iris isn't going to wait for tactical and is cowboying it or something. Just sloppy, sloppy writing. And the direction and staging of that scene was so mediocre. It really killed the potential for greater drama & tension in the scene.

Face palm moment #2:

[Jay Garrick speed punches his helmet.]

CaitlinSnow: The V7 is working!

[Jay Garrick runs then falls.

Caitlin Snow: The V7 is wearing off!

I mean... I don't even...

And as far as Zoom's true identity goes...

...it seems my Jay Garrick theory wasn't so crazy. When you know next to nothing about Flash cannon it helps when you google names of characters mentioned, such as Hunter Zolomon; I don't think it was so much a red herring as a major clue. This show likes to be very blunt with its audience; there's not a lot of nuance.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
face palme d'or

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was no surprise about Zoom. King Shark CGI was surprisingly fantastic.

I was going through on youtube looking at Arrow recap videos to figure out what was supposed to have happened to Felicity since they referenced her in this episode [they Oracle'd her] and noticed in a clip a glimpse of a mask that had a very similar mouth piece as that of Zoom's. Any of you Arrowheads care to fill me in on said mask?

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the finale. Barry finally had his testicles descend in that last scene and now thanks to Bindy I know to go watch Flashpoint Paradox. Sorry, bindy, but I've no clue about the comics. Maybe Arch 2.0 can come in and clue us in on what that final scene in the S2 finale will mean for S3 in relation to Flashpoint Paradox. Also, is the animated film a good adaption of the comics?

The show is frustrating though in a few ways for me--characters not staying true to themselves and holes in the show logic are adding to my annoyance with the series as a whole.

I also really did like the sly lil' mini Flash (1990) reunion we had in S2E22 (Too bad they couldn't crowbar Mark Hamill as The Trickster in there somehow.) And in hindsight this brief reunion was a clue to that S2 finale about...

Jay Garrick/Pappa Allen doppleganger being the man in the Iron Mask in Zoom's evil lair. The costume was great, even if that gimmick to get him the helmet was a bit hokey. Still it was all good feels.

• 1 month later...

Damn, Newt. Tell us how you really feel.

I am liking what I'm seeing in that trailer. Flashpoint!

Except it looks like Barry still has his speedster powers in the new timeline. That's not in line w/ Flashpoint. How're they gonna non-splain that one?

Also, that looks like Jay Garrick/Barry's dad in that new Zoom 2.0 costume, which also has a very non-aerodynamic mask.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

we don't have a DC TV general thread, do we?  so yeah, here's this