Hondo's Bar

Daredevil (Netflix)

...yeah...it's not perfect, but it's improved, i think!

there's a dark shot in that trailer that someone elsewhere brightened a bit & it looked way more solid red, which i'd love to see...gives the feeling that it's an ongoing thing. for me, honestly, my biggest gripe at the moment is the nosepiece; can't help but think it'd look better with an open nose, like in the books.

frank, though:

he's on about revenge for his family, so my guess is we either jump right into his family's execution, or flashback to it & either way, he evolves across the season (the same way matty & fisk did) to actually make this thing his war, so people complaining about the lack of skull on his chest as of yet make no sense to me. we know it's coming, just wondering if they'll do it like the jim lee 80's origin mini-series thing, or something that works better.

gonna be honest here; DD's my boy, but castle could very well steal the season, or half-season, whatever they give him. literally can't see him not taking off into his own show after this, he just looks so great in that trailer. the "no half measures"/"one bad day from being me" stuff should be so tired/cliche but i just loved the shit out of it there

can do! first up, promo stuff

Cbno8J4WIAAzIWP.jpg

Cbno8QiW4AEXAD3.jpg

7PNc7Bt.jpg

Nls7dNI.jpg

56cba8ab98a28.jpg

and finally, the best i could find for haku's request (upped brightness/toned down contrast to see what looks like another revision of the suit):

JGX43jh.jpg

i don't think we're getting the white eyes anytime soon, but again, i'd happily trade it to lose the nosepiece #freethenose

First reviews hit.

Variety

After a mostly top-notch debut on Netflix, Marvel’s Man Without Fear begins season two on an uneven note, occasionally feeling as if he’s taken a detour from dark and gritty into the realm of Sam Peckinpah movies, complete with slow-motion bullets and blood sprays. Stick with it, though, and the show blossoms, featuring a few terrific action sequences while introducing into this grim world seminal characters the Punisher and Elektra – both mostly victimized by earlier feature adaptations. So far, the Marvel/Netflix collaboration has brought a nifty dimension to both parties.

Den of Geek

The bad news is that Daredevil season 2 fails to address some of season one’s weaknesses. I can't really say that there's a supporting character who has emerged to take the place of Vondie Curtis-Hall's Ben Urich, so that's a presence that feels a little missed. The pacing, handily season one’s biggest flaw, hasn’t improved, and there’s no shortage of overwritten, overwrought dialogue, often delivered in long chunks. Sometimes it’s expository (which is little excuse), and other times, well, it feels like these characters just want to hear themselves talk.

Nerd Repository

Fans should be quite pleased with this extremely faithful incarnation of the [Elektra] character, as Yung is visually ripped from the panels of a Frank Miller comic. She looks the part and plays it with confidence, seduction and dangerous intrigue. Oh, and she can kick ass too. Naturally. There’s real, palpable chemistry between Yung and Cox, and whenever they’re onscreen together there’s an air of danger along with a feeling of a loss of control – for both characters.

liked this bit

Are you worried that a red-costumed Daredevil would somehow detract from the street level vigilante justice of season one? Don’t be! This is the most effective and practical superhero costume I've yet seen in live action. Daredevil moves better than any big screen Batman has managed to, and the attention to detail in the action sequences is all in place. It even looks like Daredevil's fighting style has evolved to account for his heavier, more protective gear. Those fight scenes are every bit as spectacular as you would hope (although one, clearly an attempt to one-up the incredible corridor fight from season one, feels a little self-conscious in its intentions...it’s still damn cool, though).

• 2 weeks later...