Hondo's Bar

Daredevil (Netflix)

If you were looking for a perfect snapshot of the late-capitalist dystopia that is media consolidation in 2018, it’s this: Last Man Standing, a show canceled by ABC because it wasn’t Disney property, was revived by Fox because it was owned by 20th, which will soon be a Disney entity.

yikes

a whole lot more going on here, i guess we just wait & see what disney does with these properties 

anyone father along in season 3 though?

:lush: ...yeah

ep 3: oh man this is so good, what is disney gonna do with this?  i hope it keeps going, this is a solid portrayal of miller's vision for matty/fisk and i'm not sure how much closer we'd get without it being needlessly verbatim in a way that doesn't work, because the limitations of the superhero genre (when removed from the suspended disbelief afforded in comics) juxtaposed with mid 80s nihilism and mazzuchelli's incredible noir sensibilities and a character basically rooted in dated swashbuckling archetypes, when coupled with the dichotomies inherent in irish catholicism are a tall order that feels like more effort than a limited series warrants, you know?  really, matty represents 

ep 4 THIS IS THE BEST GODDAMN SHOW ON TEEVEE

That whole season was outstanding. For some reason about halfway through I got it in my head we were going to see Echo(Maya Lopez)'s dad turn up somewhere as an easter egg. Maybe I heard the Name Willie Lincoln in there somewhere?

In hindsight Echo would have been a great replacement for Elektra in Season 2.

• Upvote 1

Wrapped this up a while back, and it was damned good. Great origin for Bullseye and I love how they showed Kingpin pulling all the strings. We finally get a seaosn where Matt has a major arc that isn't second fiddle to another character! Not that the other character arcs were bad (weakest was Foggy, but his still was decent), but Matt's was just so damned good! I especially liked Karen's storyline this season, too. The biggest complaint (other than the season finale kinda fizzling there) is the mediocre direction. That finale especially had me wishing for some better direction and camera work.

All in all, I'd say this is tied w/ S2 in terms of overall quality. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12298561

s02 was front loaded with punisher, and the latter half - though i enjoyed - hinged on matty + elektra, a dynamic the show failed to set up adequately for those of us not reading books on doctoral theses about how frank miller ended modern heroism with daredevil

s03 was born again + bits of guardian devil, having none of that weight.  

yeah...i really wish the 2nd half of the season had been stronger.  it's straight miller - stick & stone, adepts, elektra infatuation & night of a zillion ninjas.  i don't think either matty or elektra were bad casting, but they didn't seem to click & not enough was there during their college/etc time to show how liberating she was for him (to justify how he basically ditches everything else when she's around again).  

even her death & revival felt kinda hollow. it was so uneven, for essentially starting the season on ennis' welcome back, frank arc and just knocking it out of the park.  

So, do we think there will be a DD S4? My guess is since Disney announced their streaming service the relationship soured between the companies and Netflix likely wants viewers to put eyes on the Millarworld shows and movies that'll be dropping in 2019 and beyond.

Jessica Jones S3 & Punisher S2 are in production or wrapping up, but Netflix seems to be culling their Marvel shows. At this point I think the best we can hope for is a Defenders movie to maybe wrap up all these Netflix iterations of these characters. (Preferably one where they all scramble to save people in NYC from a giant spaceship then turn to dust at the end. Final shot is Foggey with a broom & dustpan while Jessica chugs a bottle of Jack.)

Finished this last night (had to let NZA watch without me because I didn’t have time and wasn’t gonna make him wait). But holy shit. That was a very satisfying season! 

Season two started out AMAZING with Punisher but ended horribly with Elektra. I hated every moment she was on screen. So I came into season 3 looking for redemption and I got it. 

Spoiler

I knew Wilson Bethel, the actor who plays Bullseye, from a CW show called Hart of Dixie, where he played a lovable bartender in a small town country bar. So seeing him go full American Psycho here was fucking me up!! He was so good, though. 

And we got Fisk back! I’m a huuuge D’onofrio fan so this was great. He is such a formidable villain, physically and mentally,  with his ability to be a few steps ahead of everyone at all times. Love him! 

I thought the final three-way fight was a little clunky and I hated the way Matty resolved it with Fisk, even though that’s what had to happen. But even still, I thought the season as a whole was very enjoyable and if it’s the last one we get, it was a very strong ending!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...