Hondo's Bar

Captain America: Civil War

Keth

http://www.superhero...ptain-america-3

Breaking: Marking a major twist to the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s “Phase Three,” Variety is reporting that Robert Downey Jr. is close to joining the cast of Captain America 3 as Tony Stark and that the film will launch elements of the hit comic book crossover event, “Civil War” in the MCU!

The news comes on the heels of an announcement from Marvel this morning that a new “Civil War” comic book is on the way next summer.

Just last week, Downey hinted that something big was on the way, although it was briefly believed that he was referring to a fourth Iron Man film. Now, it seems quite likely that Marvel Studios has even bigger plans for Iron Man!

Anthony and Joe Russo, the sibling director pair behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier are directing the May 6, 2016 film, which features a screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and, of course, the return of Chris Evans as the star-spangled superhero.

Edited by Axels

I agree, Civil War was a last ditch effort to save a dying brand that nobody cared about anymore. I mean, it worked, but the Marvel cinematic universe isn't though of as the "Spider-Man and some other assholes" universe by bored moviegoers. It was a lazy grab for noteriety and happened to be just what things needed for a jolt of life but in retrospect it's a pretty dumb idea.

...nah. millar botched the ending but it was a fun idea & had some good character moments too - granted, Spidey's prequel stuff was an absolute highlight, but "dying brand" makes little sense since this wasn't the late 90's with no one buying avenger titles; Bendis & co had already started making those books hot again (arguably moreso than Spidey), and if you really think having big dumb superheroes slug it out over thin reasons - gimmick i question how you enjoy superhero books much at all, really.

like Walking Dead, this could be done far better than the rushed book got, and less bogged down too. i'm not saying it has to happen but acting like the same MCU that knocked GOTG outta the park couldn't get a really enjoyable flick out of this - if even just for the plot of Cap 3 - is silly.

Does anybody in the movies have secret identity?

...well, shit; yeah this is the best question yet

...nah. millar botched the ending but it was a fun idea & had some good character moments too - granted, Spidey's prequel stuff was an absolute highlight, but "dying brand" makes little sense since this wasn't the late 90's with no one buying avenger titles; Bendis & co had already started making those books hot again (arguably moreso than Spidey), and if you really think having big dumb superheroes slug it out over thin reasons - gimmick i question how you enjoy superhero books much at all, really

Prior to Disassembled if it didn't have Spider-Man, Wolverine, The Punisher, or a handful of other X-Men then it could go fuck itself. I know it seems weird that there was a time when the world at large gave no fucks about Captain America or Iron-Man but it was real and I recall it. Maybe Marvel was back in the black but I don't recall a single noteworthy Avengers storyline from that era, I mostly remember some bullshit about their mansion being located on sovereign territory and Scott Lang wanted to see his kid and buh. It was an era of twiddling thumbs and Bendis and crew stirred the pot up by making it basically The Ultimate Universe as viewed through anything other than Mark Millar's unchecked id.

And that's where the problem lay with Civil War, the reason it "worked" was because nobody gave a Bavarian pine-cone shit about anybody. It was the Watchmen affect, "I don't really know these characters but shit just got real." Which was why nobody objected when Iron-Man started acting like the villain from a 90s cartoon because who fucking cares enough about Iron-Man to know if he's acting out of character? All I wanna know is if Spider-Man is okay. Nobody bothered to question why the most Captain America-y decision of all time ("Our squabbling is hurting the people we've set out to protect, this is wrong") is the one that comes to far later than Captain America actually would. It was sensationalism and you can get away with that when nobody cares but you can't draft Iron-Man as the bad guy he was in the comics because everyone loves Iron-Man and if you try to make it more nuanced then it's just going to feel toothless. Now if they use Civil War as a fake-out springboard to something more interesting then sure, I'm game but when the thesis statement is just "Heroes vs. Heroes" (There should roughly be about 12 by the time this movie comes out, which seems a bit spare) over the right to their secret identities (which almost none of them actually have) then it sounds like a waste of time.

Prior to Disassembled

kinda my point though; Disassembled was like a full 2 years before Civil War. Warren Ellis had his Extremis story with Iron Man & Brubaker was well past Winter Soldier like a full year before said event - of course we both recall when these characters didn't sell for shit, but i think you're mixing up your timeline because people very much did care by then, not not just for Ultimates-lite stuff - we'd had good creative teams build them up for quite a while before said event.

i'd also kinda argue about things being arbitrary cause no one gave a fuck - Cap gave one of his better speeches in recent years to Parker, and Stark as pro-gov was kinda obvious for a lotta reasons tying in with his past actions/allegiances. i totally agree about Reed (specifically for the "who cares" reason you gave too) but i didn't think shit was comical until super-prison, personally. that's kinda what i meant though, i thought it fell apart later on but had some merit prior.

i likewise don't think it has to tie to secret identities, either: part of the arc was about gov't control of superhero action/deployment, which in itself would be a decent reason to get people fighting/drama for a short bit if done right. i guess i'm also thinking it'd be another neat direction to run with marvel agents of s.h.i.e.l.d. when that tank runs outta gas, too...honestly i've no idea why you guys think it'd have to be in anyway faithful; we've already seen great stories come out of divergences from past arcs, and by all accounts age of ultron will have next to nothing to do with that story arc (which is kind've a shame since i rather dug it, but again, i've faith in what they'll put out at this point).

We talk about Civil War a lot on our podcast because it's one of the last Marvel arcs that Tony and I really went out of our way to get every issue of. We pretty much agree that we were both pretty into it at the time, but the fallout of these events seem to not really matter anymore. Spider-man got ret-conned shortly after and Tony hates the fact that Stark never really got any fallout from orchestrating the whole thing from the get-go.

That being said, there were a lot of elements of Civil War I loved. I really dug the frontline series and recently Tony exposed me to agents of HATE from Civil War.

I can def see the point about Civil War. Didn't care about New Warriors, Goliath. I think the movie folks can def take the baseline of the story and get it right. Issue 3 was gem when Cap shakes Starks hand - delivers that message. Wow I was salivating at that point but ended in a lull, Cap death thing didn't help. Eh it was a good premise could be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh damn! Even more awesome than the stunt was the look on Stark's face when he realizes Cap's right. Perfection.

Also, at the end of that clip the Cap 3 film was titled "Serpent Society." Does that mean the whole Civil War script was possibly originally meant for something else?

And that's definitely Age of Ultron footage, but it's highly likely a conversation that will lead up to Cap. 3. When Robert Downey was doing press recently for The Judge, he was being playful w/ Iron Man 4 hints. He said on Stern he's contractually obligated to two more Avengers flicks after Ultron, and we know what those are. I think he was telling half truths about IM4 b/c now we know he'll likely play a substantial role in Cap 3.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

This is what Feige said about Serpent Society

"We had this great idea because Civil War's first up, right?" Feige told reporters at a Q&A after the presentation. "But we don't blow our wad on the presentation with Civil War right at the front of it. A guy named Mike Pasciullo had the idea to put Serpent Society on there, and I thought it was awesome and hilarious. A part of me thought, 'Are people going to love Serpent Society and think that'd be really cool?'"

He joked, "Now it's on the radar."

Edited by Axels

• 3 weeks later...