Hondo's Bar

Black Mirror

• 2 months later...

source

screen-shot-2018-12-19-at-4.43.17-pm-0.p

Netflix is releasing a feature-length Black Mirror film before the end of the year.

Earlier this month, a now-deleted tweet appeared to confirm the return of Charlie Brooker’s anthology series on 28 December with an episode titled “Bandersnatch”.

As predicted, it seems the series will indeed be returning – but not in the form of a fifth season. Instead, it will be an original film that will mark the show’s longest instalment to date, running one minute longer than season three’s “Hated in the Nation”. 

Keen-eyed Netflix users have been sharing a photo of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch‘s listing on Netflix, which is listed as its own entity away from the show’s existing 19 episodes.
  • Hmmm 1

Thanks Korea!
A description of the film surfaced on a Korean Media board, which was then translated by a Redditor. “A young programmer makes a fantasy novel into a game. Soon, reality and virtual world are mixed and start to create confusion,” it reads. Other details include it will be directed by David Slade, who helmed last season’s “Metalhead” episode, and will star Dunkirk’s Fionn Whitehead.

The most interesting unveiling is Bandersnatch‘s runtime is 312 minutes, which is approximately five hours long. Of course too long to be a film on its own, the only other explanation would be the the total runtime of all possible storylines in the rumored choose-your-own adventure feature.

• 2 weeks later...

...so did anyone else watch bandersnatch?  cause damn, that was good

it felt ambitious to do a choose-your-own-adventure story in this format as is, but going meta & the direction they took felt virtue's last reward/9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors meets a bit of donnie darko in the end.  i'm certain there's scenes i missed with the choices me & donny made, the bulk of it opens itself up after each ending you get without having to rewind though.  i can think of a few possibly divergent paths (depending on how wide a simple choice made of alternates, which is of course pretty brilliant for a motif built on the arbitrary paths of early 80's PC games) but sticking past the clearly guided-to "bad" end that gives you the perfect game, then the even more meta levels that follow with the information you bring...shit. 

colin's LSD fueled rants deceptively hand you more exposition than you expect as well, which was a fun way to interlace truth along with the stereotype of acid use & action.  this managed the tension of timed dramatic choices in the first half (often better than parts of say, mass effect) with the better/less convoluted bits of VLR and other stories about time & causality. 

coming fresh off of it & :lush: i may be overhyping it, but it feels like they knocked another of their movies out of the park for me, and raised the bar by adding interaction & meta shit in the process without diminishing the overarching story (easy to do with either of those factors, much less both).  don't know that i'll revisit it as much as i might other eps down the road due to the time spent with the choices, but this was a standout effort by me. 

Bandersnatch(ed away 2hrs of my life)! The way it was presented was a neat gimick, but the story was all kinds of meh. 2 1/2 stars.

Apparently I wasn't the only one less than thrilled with it. 😕 Shame Poulter was getting shit as his Ritman was one of the best things about that episode.

Poulter, who plays hotshot video game designer Colin Ritman in Charlie Brooker’s interactive episode that launched on Netflix on 28 December 2018, released a statement on Twitter, saying “I accept all criticisms” but that he felt it best for him to avoid the “inevitable negatives” that come from social media engagements.

The actor was subjected to offensive comments about his appearance on social media in the week since the episode appeared.

I had a lot of fun with Bandersnatch! I have a bunch of nerdy friends who literally sat and watched with notes and flowcharts to track their endings. It took some of them a handful of attempts to get five out of five stars (you’ll understand when you watch!) but NZA and I got that on our first attempt! My friend Marlene asked me to share my path(s) with her so I wrote down the first one we did. 

Spoiler

r918Qdi.jpg

The asterisks are the times we were sent back to try again! It was fun seeing some different paths after our first try. Nick was more awake than I was at that point and spent a lot more time with it after I went to bed but I was really impressed by the whole thing and thought it was really fun. I wonder if we’ll get anything else like this. 

Also it’s complete bullshit that Will Poulter was bullied off of Twitter by assholes. I’ve always appreciated his unique features and he’s very talented. Loved him in The Revenant and he was the best part of We’re the Millers (an otherwise meh comedy). I hope this doesn’t get to him too much!! 

Love it. Got the "meta" ending I guess? I haven't looked up the other endings but it was a fun way to spend an evening. 

by meta ending i mean the one where dudes daughter makes the reboot of the game FOR netflix. I realize this could be confused by the one where you pick the netflix option that i've heard about.

Edited by Bindusara

13 hours ago, Bindusara said:

Love it. Got the "meta" ending I guess? I haven't looked up the other endings but it was a fun way to spend an evening. 

Hide contents

by meta ending i mean the one where dudes daughter makes the reboot of the game FOR netflix. I realize this could be confused by the one where you pick the netflix option that i've heard about.

I got that one, too. I suppose I got four endings total. I'll describe them in spoilers as best I can recall.

1. Pour tea over computer instead of shout at dad. Game gets 2.5 stars, everyone lives, and no one goes to jail. Yay.

2. Follow Ritman instead of seeing Dr. Haynes. Take the acid. Choose main character to jump off balcony. Get funniest lines of the episode following landing.
3. Ask for a sign and choose "symbol" & chop up dad. Greatest game ever--5 star rating! But go crazy in jail.
4. Ask for a sign and choose P.A.C.S. & bury dad. Dog digs dad up, go to jail, 2.5 star game. (I think this is the option that also gives the "meta" Netflix ending, but can't recall for sure.)

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the ambition of this and how it could potentially influence how other films try to be inventive.

I particularly loved the soundtrack to it all

Spoiler

Especially in the ending where he goes back and dies in the crash, but also dies in the therapists office. Mindfucky as fuck is what that was.

I feel bad that Will Poulter's appearance was targeted and quit social media because of it. People are just the worst.

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, FireDownBelow said:

1st episode: Meh.  It's an interesting premise, but too many tropes. Others forthcoming.

I was worried about this after seeing all the star power they snagged for this season. I'm gonna give them a go, but I'm the least interested in this season than I have been in any others in the past. It just didn't look great initially.

2 hours ago, FireDownBelow said:

Finished the other two. My opinion is still a very solid meh.

this is a bummer, but your earlier comment about ep 1 not delivering on good concepts?  i enjoyed last season but it was totally that, with more misses than hits 

I just don't feel that any of the stories are...bleak enough. They don't have that gut wrenching sense of strangeness that the first couple of seasons did. Plus, a couple of them have happy endings and one has no discernible ending. Also, I felt the second one didn't really address the role of technology in our lives much at all. If you're bored, there are worse things to watch. But it doesn't compare to the early stuff.

episode 1: fantastic. i think it raises a lot of questions how we discuss male relationships and our own sexuality especially in an increasingly digital world where we are more free to express ourselves. 

episode 2: good, but probably the weakest. took a while for me to get into it honestly. 

3: I think this story is more engaging if you know about Mileys life and what's happened to her. Feels like this is more a future retelling of the shit she went through instead of a straight up black mirror episode. 

I'm still so new to Black Mirror, but I love that it's a show you don't have to watch in order. I've only seen a couple episodes and loved both. But I think I'm ready to jump around to some of the best episodes! If you guys have recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

(I've seen the one with Daniel Kaluuya that's like a fucked up American Idol, and the one where your contact lens thingies record your entire life. Man, that last one is one I still think about often!)

Edited by Donatella
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Donatella said:

I'm still so new to Black Mirror, but I love that it's a show you don't have to watch in order. I've only seen a couple episodes and loved both. But I think I'm ready to jump around to some of the best episodes! If you guys have recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

(I've seen the one with Daniel Kaluuya that's like a fucked up American Idol, and the one where your contact lens thingies record your entire life. Man, that last one is one I still think about often!)

Go for season 3 hands down! It pushes the substance of the series into every dark smelly crevice you can think of. Also Black Museum; it's like three episodes in one, and touches on a lot of the ideas that other episodes are dedicated to.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:51 AM, FireDownBelow said:

I just don't feel that any of the stories are...bleak enough. They don't have that gut wrenching sense of strangeness that the first couple of seasons did. Plus, a couple of them have happy endings and one has no discernible ending. Also, I felt the second one didn't really address the role of technology in our lives much at all. If you're bored, there are worse things to watch. But it doesn't compare to the early stuff.

I totally agree - there's a hopeful vibe to the latest season, which is a bit of a departure from what we usually get. I found the first ep strangely endearing, the other two sort of stale.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished season 5.

First episode is great, like I said before. Not all time great great, but really good.

Second was strong, some great acting but the "twist" if you can call it that was telegraphed really early in the episode. Overall though still good.

Third was shit. I can't believe I actually rolled my eyes watching an episode of Black Mirror. Just awful.

• Sad 1

• 3 years later...