Hondo's Bar

Miami Dolphins

The NZA

I'm a big fan of Tannehill. He's good when he gets the right protection. I think he was the 'leader' at sacks taken last year.

But I feel icky supporting a team with Suh on it. He's up there with people like Vick or Roethlisburger whose personality/history is too big an obstacle for me to enjoy the game on their side.

Edited by Jumbie

Clearly he's not at the same level of scumbag, but he's enough of a malevolent prick that he has the same effect of shutting down my support for his team. Same reason I can't ever support Payton and the Saints, even with liking Drew Brees. Bellichek and the Patriots are on the list too and that's just for regular ole fashioned cheating. I root for Nick Kyrgios to lose ever tennis game he plays and that's just for being an asshole.

And I think you're underplaying what Suh does. He's not just dirty. He is literally trying to maim someone out there and pass it off as accidental.

Edited by Jumbie

Oh please, it's not a high horse. I said I feel icky not that I opposed his inclusion on principle or something. You forget I was the one that supported Vick getting his job back in the NFL. I don't have a high horse. I just can't cheer for someone who's despicable to me, at whatever level.

Look man, you took your cheapshot already in this thread. You don't need to keep misrepresenting what I said.

As for Ray Rice, when I actually read the trial reports etc it seemed the worst he did was try to keep a friend out of trouble for something that stemmed from a nebulous confrontation.

Not a good thing, but not a big deal for me in terms of enjoying the guy's work on the field. Loyalty is one of those things I know can get a person twisted up out of honorable motivations so I'm more forgiving of it.

I'm not sure how the Saints/bounty thing was bull. Care to explain?

The incentive was for hurting people, so I'm not sure how you can say it wasn't a measure to go hurt people.

I doubt other teams were doing this at the level that the Saints were, because there's no way to keep stuff like that secret once the scandal hit. Whistleblowers gonna blow, you know?

I hear the defence coach who ran the program is out west now (KC?) but I'm not buying the Payton took the fall thing. Money was being paid and an NFL team doesn't have money moving without accountability. The team powers had to know. I suspect that if Payton had tried to fight using the 'I didn't know' card in a lawsuit or something it would have quickly come out that he did, so he just said he didn't know while he took the responsibility so he got a PR victory out of it.

The more this moves into the past, the easier it is to not hold it against the team. Plus it's hard to hate a team when it's sucking and not a threat to get any accolades.

And sometimes a good player can turn you around on a team. I was rooting against the Seahawks at the start of 2012 because a couple of their players got suspended for PEDs. But after a few games of watching the Legion of Boom, Lynch and Wilson in action, I really really liked them to the point that they were my favorite team by the end of the season. Plus Lynch interviews just make you like him even more.

• 3 months later...