Hondo's Bar

Marvel Cinematic Universe (phase 3 & beyond)

Keth

• 6 months later...

The Alternate Marvel Cinematic Universe

Iron Man

Nicolas Cage was attached in 1996.

Tom Cruise was going to develop it as a starring vehicle for himself in 1998.

Clive Owen was considered.

Sam Rockwell was considered.

Hugh Jackman was offered the role.

Timothy Olyphant screen tested for the part.

Thor

Director

Sam Raimi was attached in the 1990s.

David Goyer was attached in 2004.

Matthew Vaughn was attached in 2005.

D.J. Caruso was considered in 2008.

Kenneth Branagh declined to direct the sequel.

Patty Jenkins was originally hired to direct the sequel but negotiations broke down.

Captain America

Sam Worthington and Will Smith advanced to the “talks” stage.

Garrett Hedlund, Channing Tatum, Scott Porter, Mike Vogel, Sebastian Stan, Chris Evans, Wilson Bethel, John Krasinski, Michael Cassidy, Chace Crawford and Jensen Ackles were shortlisted.

Kellan Lutz, Ryan Phillippe, Dane Cook, Kevin Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Alexander Skarsgård auditioned.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Peter Quill

Joel Edgerton, Eddie Redmayne, Jensen Ackles, Lee Pace, Wes Bentley, Jack Huston, Cam Gigandet, Sullivan Stapleton, Logan Marshall-Green, Garrett Hedlund, Chris Lowell, James Marsden, Jim Sturgess, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Aaron Paul, Michael Rosenbaum, Glenn Howerton, and John Krasinski all auditioned, screen tested or were considered.

Rocket Raccoon

Adam Sandler, David Tennant, Sharlto Copley, Jim Carrey, and H. Jon Benjamin were considered as the voice.

Gamora

Gina Carano, Rachel Nichols, and Adrianne Palicki auditioned.

Olivia Wilde declined.

Drax the Destroyer

Jason Momoa declined due to scheduling conflicts.

Isaiah Mustafa, Brian Patrick Wade, and Djimon Hounsou were considered (Hounsou landed a different role).

RDj on his future as Iron-Man

“Everyone says to me it’s like a glove that fits so well. I have to start over every time but I am starting over with a pretty solid base. I just never want to blow it for the last six or seven [MCU Movies] I have done by dropping the ball because I decided to go to do it one more time.

“I just want to hang up my jersey before it’s embarrassing.”

He'll be there till the end. Money talks.

It would be insane if he / Iron Man doesn't make it to the very last MCU film / the wrap-up film.

LOL - question is: how many MCU films are left?

I don't think an end is in sight, I think three genuine box-office bombs in a row could kill it but anything else will, at most, just slow it down.

Well, they've announced there will be two more spider-man sequels, so figure that will take us to 2023/2024. Seven years, three movies a year, AT LEAST 21 more films.

'21 more...Iron Man sequels?!'

simpsons_family_with_milhouse-670x378.jpg

Yeah, I think I'll retract my last statement of Iron Man making it to the end. Well...maybe he could? Cameo appearances till the finale? Why did I think Infinity War was the end of all this?

I don't think an end is in sight, I think three genuine box-office bombs in a row could kill it but anything else will, at most, just slow it down.

So it's just...keep going till they don't make money no' mo'. That's crazy. Maybe Infinity War will be some sort of 'reboot' or starting over point...maybe a giant closing of a chapter that started w/ Iron Man? That'd be a point for Tony / RDJ to bow out.

But what we have to ask ourselves is, what do they do to keep it fresh? The obvious answer lies in the success of Logan. Simply put, super hero movies don't have to be pop corn action films anymore. As long as they can continue to tell compelling stories, we won't get tired of them.

..now we just see if DC can play catch up in the meantime.

honestly, let's pretend the whole cast of avengers quits after the final part of infinity war or whatever (despite evans saying he'll stay etc) - panther & co are gonna lift up the next wave, and they clearly built a model to start ushering in newer avengers, so i'd think it more likely they start building up the rest: sam wilson, kamala, jane foster (gonna have to redo that one a bit), miles at some point, etc.

...really wish we'd just skip carol & go straight to kamala

That kinda makes sense.

I can see the ending of 'Infinity War' being a huge 'reboot point'...or like, an intro for the 'next gen'...'passing the torch' point at it's end. Yeeeeah, Marvel could totally keep pumping in 'solo films' into the 'cinematic universe' that launched in 2008...w/out it revolving around those initial principal players...culminating in another 'Avengers' event.

It's just insane that...I mean, this whole superhero 'shared universe' thing is a new concept. Not shared cinematic universes - I mean, the incredible...game-changing success 'Avengers' was. We still haven't seen any signs of the mold beginning to cool.

It's gonna be insaaaaane that the 'whole journey' could encompass like, 40+ fucking films. That's like, 'bwuuuuuuuugh?!'

Here's what Feige said recently about Spidey and the future of the MCU in general.

"We are looking at a five-movie storyline — Civil War, Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, untitled Avengers, Homecoming 2 — or whatever we end up calling it — as an amazing five-story journey for Peter Parker. In the way that the events of Civil War directly inform the opening of Homecoming and his state of mind as he goes back to high school, so too will the events of the next two Avengers movies as he continues with high school. This original 22-movie arc ends with the untitled Avengers in May of 2019 and then two months later it will be Peter and Spider-Man that usher us into the aftermath and how things proceed from there."