Hondo's Bar

Marvel Cinematic Universe (phase 3 & beyond)

Keth

If Doom makes the transition over to the MCU - I'd see him being worked into a rebooted MCU. No way Doom would just be a FF problem.

6005811-3959937058-tumbl.gif

If the X-Men, FF are in the same reality as Disney's Avengers and Spidey...a cinematic crossover-event would be inevitable - and that would probably involve a long series of sequels and 'universe-building' / lead-up. They could probably get away w/ a decade of build-up.

I see that occurring in an all-new MCU. Unless, well - since the MCU Phase stuff (a conclusion to all this) is a thing of the past... they (X-MEN / FF) could probably be worked into the 'Avengers Jr.' universe / MCU-sequel universe.

I see a buy-out of FF / X-MEN not happening for a veeery long time. I think when that does happen, we're gonna see a whooole new MCU - incorporating everything but the kitchen sink. I see Iron Man (a rebooted Tony Stark - not sum protege or whatever), Cap (Steve Rogers) - a legit 'mutant' Quicksilver...

lead_large.jpg

And the classic X-Men characters (Professor X, Wolvie) - all rebooted.

14751320e3520293f3c55167c2175a52b607572b135403c5b5d772b3cf549945.jpg

Once Disney gets all those IPs back - I can see them just completely starting over...instead of just drip-feeding components into what's established. Again, I don't see those IPs ever returning to 'Marvel' for at least - many, many, many years.

8b28e9c0714da76a31dac33a417d34b8e7bb3cb5_hq.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 2 months later...

Vanity Fair: An Extended Conversation with Kevin Feige

When Kevin Feige sat down with Vanity Fair in his office for a lengthy chat about the last 10 years and the future of Marvel Studios, he was wearing a long-sleeve black polo, a pair of simple jeans, some sneakers, and a black ball cap emblazoned with the Thor: Ragnarok logo. It’s not an unusual uniform for a director or even the occasional studio head, but what’s different about Feige is he wore the exactsame clothing, with the simple addition of a blazer, to the glitzy Hollywood premiere of Thor later that same night. As one of his stars, Chris Hemsworth, notes, this is one of the more endearing, down-to-earth qualities of one of the most powerful men in the industry: “The fact that he’ll still have his baseball cap and his sneakers on and a sports jacket thrown over a Marvel or Disney T-shirt. If you didn’t know any better, you’d think he’s just another fanboy.”

That fanboy—who lives in a Pacific Palisades mansion that’s casual, by mansion standards, with his wife of nearly 10 years, Caitlin, and their two kids, Ella and Erik—has worked hard to maintain an air of normalcy, even as his films continue to grow and dominate the globe. (Caitlin Feige, for example, keeps renewing her nursing certification for whenever she wants to return to work.) In the interest of delving deeper into this particular Hollywood outlier, we’ve put together an expanded version of our conversation with Feige, and supplemented it with observations about the studio chief from some of the people who know him best: his Marvel family. Feige started the interview by pointing out a strange, new accessory in the corner of his office—a light-up chair that was a prop from Thor: Ragnarok—and then proceeded to start fake snoring when he, not his movies, became the center of attention.

I know you’re not going to throw anyone under the bus, but when you see other studios struggling to emulate what you’ve built, would you give any advice to them on what makes a good cinematic universe?

The only advice, and I’ve sort of said this already today, is don’t worry about the universe. Worry about the movie. We never set out to build a universe. We set out to make a great ˆIron Man movie, a Hulk movie, a Thor movie, a movie, and then be able to do what, at the time, nobody else was doing: put them together. Bring that experience that hardcore comic readers have had for decades of Spider-Man swinging into the Fantastic Four headquarters, or for Hulk to suddenly come rampaging through the pages of an Iron Man comic. We thought it would be fun for filmgoers to get that same—on a much bigger canvas—rush, because there is something just inherently great about that: seeing characters’ worlds collide with one another.

That’s what is so amazing every day on the set of Infinity War. These characters have no business being in the same room together. It’s ridiculous. Everyone within Marvel Studios just knows the individual movie trumps the overall picture. If there’s a better idea for a movie—if we were going to plant a seed in this movie that was going to be awesome and pay off three movies later, but that seed is not working and that seed is screwing up the movie, goodbye. We’ll do something else later. Make thatmovie work. The notion of sitting down going, “Let’s build a cinematic universe,” might be a little off. “Let’s sit down and make a great movie and if people are interested in that, there are ways and ideas to tie them together going forward.”

Shuler Donner: I’m not surprised—I’m just so proud. When we were developing the X-Menmovies, he and I had laid out a plan where the X-Men franchise should go. Fox picked another route. I’m not surprised he kept that aesthetic, and decided he would take the Marvel world and join them together and make five-year plan after five-year plan.

http://www.gamesradar.com/disney-confirms-that-the-x-men-and-fantastic-four-will-join-the-mcu-and-that-deadpool-will-stay-r-rated/

DISNEY CONFIRMS X-MEN AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR WILL BE JOINING THE MCU - DEADPOOL TO REMAIN 'R-RATED'

Speaking on a conference call to investors, Deadline is reporting that Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that “they’re looking forward to expanding the Marvel Cinematic Universe to include X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool.”

Talking of Deadpool, Bob Iger also addressed its R-Rated status. Unfortunately, he didn’t drop a bunch of f-bombs when speaking to 21st Century Fox investors but he did say “there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool. As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine," according to THR.

My mind is blown.  Bets on Galactus appearing post-credits in Infinity War.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When asked about the proposed Disney/Fox merger at Ace Comic-Con where he appeared alongside his Captain America co-stars Chris Evans and Anthony Mackie, Stan said "Recently, I happened to be sitting next to Hugh Jackman. I didn't know what other awkward thing I could talk about, but to be like, 'Am I going to see you soon?' I don't know, but he said a couple things to me and I'll just leave it at that. Otherwise, I think I'm going to get into trouble." He continues, "I asked him cause I kept thinking whether or not he said Logan was supposed to be the last Wolverine thing. He said to me what's probably been said out there that he's been thinking about it and it's on his mind. So, I don't know." Well, that's certainly intriguing, to say the least. 

Chris Evans: Oh Sebastian, oh Sebastian... 
Anthony Mackie: I think Sebastian... I think, huh, phone is off, please. Please, hu... can you rewind the last fifteen seconds?
Host: Twitter just broke. So let's keep that going. So the Justice League, how about you guys fight the Justice League?
Sebastian Stan: Who is that?!
Anthony Mackie: Rewind the last thirty five seconds. 

• 4 weeks later...

Captain Marvel movie is set in the 70s or 80s, since the Ultimate Marvel comic Fury that the MCU is based on lost his eye in the first gulf war he would still have both eyes back then. The Hoff Fury had a fake eye under his eye-patch along with a lock-pick sewn into the underside of the patch, bad guys took the pick but didn't realize the fake eye itself was also a bomb.

Edited by Drifter

I watched the Civil War film but didn't understand it, despite reading the book (just the main six issues). Didn't know what the Winter Soldier was, didn't understand why Spider-Man was shunned out. I couldn't hear it either. The dialogue was ridiculously low volume compared to the action scenes. I suppose I needed to see all the previous Captain American films which I've not.

I also don't understand nor like Ant-Man. I thought he was Hank Pym. Had never heard of Scott Lang. Using actual ants as an ability - not sure if that worked. They didn't bother to use the electric-fucker-upper ants in Civil War (to scum up Iron Man's electrics) either, and also decided he could transform to really big, too.

Maybe I'm just getting old but the MCU confuses the shit out of me.

definitely watch Winter Solider, might be the best of the lot!  and yeah, Lang's a later Ant Man in the books too

Civil War just kinda kept the name only for the most part, which i think worked better. Age of Ultron was worse, there was like nothing from the book there (but it wouldn't have worked either)