Hondo's Bar

Keth

• 1 month later...

NX keeps sounding crazier and crazier, in a kind of good way though.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

dByLHbj.jpg

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

So... it's basically a tablet you can plug into your tv. Honestly, it's sort of what I thoguth the Wii U was gonna be when it first came out (which just shows how confusing that marketing was).

I dunno... I mean I'm on board. It sounds cool to me and could hold alot of promise. Then on the otherhand, it's another gimmick. Granted when Nintendo does gimmicks, they work really well. The Wii sold like gangbusters, and the Wii U solidly used it's second screen for the home version DS stuff. Hardware-wise I guess I'm not too worried. Cautiously optimistic here, as I am with all of Nintendo's current efforts. This doesn't looks like it leaves a lot of room for third party support though, given the graphical specs in the article. Could be totally wrong about that however. Anyway this looks like the most solid news so far! Hopefully the official anouncement is soon!

yeah, really hyped for how this plays out - we all know dedicated gaming devices are sadly not likely for the next gen or so, this might be how they survive. my best guess is now that nintendo's using mobile in a smart way, maybe they build alongside - i.e., imagine a richer Pokemon GO with better graphics & more to do with your collection on the system proper. i wanna say i recall iwata (RIP) saying something along the lines of working with the growing mobile market rather than trying to fight it, this could be a smart way of doing that very thing.

for me, i just like the idea of consolidating team development so we get more quality titles, ideally with fewer droughts - they were doing some big team restructuring & hiring a year or two back, i'm hoping next gen sees the benefits there.

gonna be something absolutely surreal about buying new nintendo carts in 2017, but ive been day 1-ing their systems since the N64 so i'm not gonna stop now!

• 1 month later...

tons of news/rumors today!

As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.

It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.

I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.

DWSRjyX.png

One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.

Dz9fZvF.png

To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.

We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.

vnjtfzY.png

nbCErLk.jpg

nkvUJew.png

Jesus christ. Nintendo logic:

We make wii because people move controllers when they play. (great success)

We make wii u but no one gets it because its called Wii U and no one will make games for it (bombed)

We make 3ds, and everyone loves it! (great success).

A-B+C = God damn NX.

Every week on the show it feels like we are having the same discussion: We want Nintendo to be great again but god dammit this feel like they are trying to craft to trend instead of making a great console + games.

...it hurts my heart.

i mean...the GC proved to them that they're just not getting back into the big hardware game, and after sega's exit, i get it: nintendo's big, but not big in the way sony & MS can literally hemorrhage billions for a gen and gamble on making that back. this means their already strained/damaged 3rd party relations are gonna be difficult, because that adds expenses to porting to unique hardware, for a crowd that may or may not be interested.

if you're waiting for a standard PS4 rival system with big hardware & a standard controller, i think we gotta let that dream go for a while. it's been well over a decade, and they've consolidated their dev teams in anticipation of this - they saw how mobile ate up their highly-profitable dedicated handheld market, my guess is this is partly trying to go back after that? but if nothing else, first party stuff will be more frequent, so i'm happy about that.

honestly, i love my 3DS & vita too, and this is likely as close as we're getting to any of that going forward. i'm happy there's still gonna be a home for phoneix wright, strategy & JRPG's, rhythm games etc.

Oh you

^damn, hadn't even thought of that...yeah, i guess i was assuming the'd be like the WU sticks, but if they're those ones, i'm gonna be bummed!

There's always the chance that the Wii U Pro controller could be BC. That would be the smart move... but yeah we'll see. I'm still excited, but if those are joypads and not sticks, BotW is coming to my WU.

...i love my vita too ;_;

I think that overall, we know in our heart of hearts that this isn't going to be a rival for the next console generation: Say what you want, this is a new fucking console generation - no ones admitting it yet.

Nintendo has a long climb ahead of them. I think we talked about it before, and it won't happen anytime soon but if Nintendo and Sony got together to make some magic - they could be a force to be reckoned with.

I want more first party stuff but damn if the Wii U didn't burn me - and I don't even own one yet. I kept waiting for the library to get where I wanted it to be.

Guess ill just wait till the price drop.

Edited by Bindusara

The problem is, Nintendo is a freakishly conservative company at heart, the Wii and DS were a serious case of right place/right time, and the handheld market shrunk by what, 75% this gen? Not to mention the console market doesn't really seem to have room for a third viable platform. Consolidating the markets seems attractive, but unless there is a real game changer when it comes to features, I'm just not sure that the market is looking for a hybrid. And if Nintendo can't get their production pipeline sorted, they will be sunk anyway. This is a hail mary, I just don't find it being a success horribly likely. The big question is going to be price, if it can't come in under the PS4 or the Bone, it is going to have issues.

• 1 month later...

List of 3rd party partners that have come aboard

• 505 Games
  • Activision Publishing, Inc.
  • ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
  • ATLUS CO., LTD.
  • Audiokinetic Inc.
  • Autodesk, Inc.
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
  • Bethesda
  • CAPCOM CO., LTD.
  • Codemasters®
  • CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
  • DeNA Co., Ltd.
  • Electronic Arts
  • Epic Games Inc.
  • Firelight Technologies
  • FromSoftware, Inc.
  • Frozenbyte
  • GameTrust
  • GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
  • Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
  • HAMSTER Corporation
  • Havok
  • INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
  • KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
  • LEVEL-5 Inc.
  • Marvelous Inc.
  • Maximum Games, LLC
  • Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
  • Parity Bit Inc.
  • PlatinumGames Inc.
  • RAD Game Tools, Inc.
  • RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
  • SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
  • Silicon Studio Corporation
  • Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
  • SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
  • Starbreeze Studios
  • Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
  • Telltale Games
  • THQ Nordic
  • Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
  • TT Games
  • UBISOFT
  • Ubitus Inc.
  • Unity Technologies, Inc.
  • Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
  • Web Technology Corp

Lots of big names there!

oMzcsNM.jpg

day 1 like usual

I dont know man, 3DS is fantastic, especially if you throw in the DS library of games! Plus, it doesn't seem as portible as a standard handheld. Something tells me this isnt going to completely eclipse Nintendos handheld market, and they'll probably be a separate New 3DS successor to fill that gap.

ehh you think so? i saw this as Iwata's final strategy to consolidate the console & handheld development teams, so i'd love for that to happen but i'm betting against it...it's been a shrinking market and i kinda doubt they wanna spread themselves thin again for it.

that said, yeah, 3DS + DS is one of gaming's best libraries out, so getting one on the cheap seems like a good idea, i don't even see how this thing would play that library without either costing them more to keep old tech on board or worse yet, software emulation efforts like we saw them all but give up on with WU's virtual console. hold on to your handhelds, people!

also

IYeJHfk.png

*edit - shit yeah, it's region free this time too! so happy with this news

Pro controller is gonna be my go-to way to play. It's cool you can transform the Gamepad / Console(?) into a 'Joy Con Grip', but I gotta have me a controller w/ a legit Nintendo D-Pad. Plus...the thumbstick n' button placements look...off. Very uniform(?). Very cubed. I'm sure it's cuz the Joy Cons serve that dual purpose.

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg

nintendo_switch_pro_controller_thumb.png

so, Emily Rodgers (who's usually pretty good at this stuff, was spot-on with this system so far i wanna say) is confirming that Splatoon, like Zelda, is a port, not a sequel - she's saying the same for Mario Kart & Smash Bros as well

having not bought any of those yet: hype! glad i waited, a more powerful system with hopefully more players means a better game & more DLC, i'm thinking Mario Maker might be next so holding off on that as well.

for me, that just leaves DK Tropical Freeze (already fairly cheap), Tokyo Mirage and Game & Wario on the WU,