Hondo's Bar

Keth

Not discussed anywhere that i've seen, im assuming because this falls more under rumors and speculation, is that in the commercial we see multiple systems in areas that may not have an internet connection. Does this mean that there's a "local lan" kinda option built into the system?

^that was my guess, yeah...they did a little with NFC on the WU, curious to see what they do with that kinda thing here. i still assume a big part of the tablet's cost was tech to minimize latency, but you're right that i'm most interested to see the details of how that's gonna work here.

that, and how they're gonna make some of those ports work without a dual screen. doesn't look like touch controls are in the cards, wondering if they're gonna wing it without motion too?

okay, so that was fast! looks like i was wrong about the touch screen

The “Switch has a multitouch screen” Tweets

I am VERY confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch screen is a touch screen, but that is not core to most gameplay.

— Laura Kate Dale (@LaurakBuzz) October 20, 2016

I’ll be there for menus, for drawing, for certain games like Mario Maker port etc.

I’m confident in saying that the Nintendo Switch’s screen is a multi-touch screen.

As all Nintendo Switch games need to be playable with the handheld in the console dock, all Switch games will be playable without touch.

These tweets were based on information from Source A (Nintendo). As shown above, they knew enough to know when the reveal trailer was coming before the official announcement. They know their stuff.

The “Switch dock has some additional processing power” Tweets

RE: dock, what I’ve heard is additional processing (lacking specifics atm) for when docked. However, would expect a few secs to switch.

If there is additional processing in the dock, I would expect at least a few seconds to swap handheld to console etc.

This information again came from sources A (Nintendo), B (Ubisoft) and D (Manufacturing). None could confirm whether the dock is a PlayStation VR-style processing box which helps power higher resolution play when docked, or if docking the console simply allows the handheld to overclock and provides better performance that way. All sources claim the hardware has an easier time running docked compared to when out and about as a portable.

Many on Twitter have drawn my attention to this interview with IGN where Nintendo state that “The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch… The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system.”

To that, I reply that they repeatedly use the words “main function” and “Main Console” here which still leaves a lot of room for clarity. I believe these statements were aimed at clarifying the Switch was not another Wii U style console rather than saying the dock won’t in any way alter game performance. You can’t play the dock without the handheld, but that doesn’t mean the dock won’t improve game performance.

liking a lot of that!

The “Battery Life” Tweet

To those asking about battery life on Nintendo Switch, I’m hearing “mediocre” battery life.

Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life. Source B (Ubisoft) has said a maximum battery life of three hours.

...ykes, so guess we're looking at the WU tablet's weak battery all over again, at least right out the gate. good thing i don't plan on taking this thing far!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alright, Hondo's: this board's been around since the N64 era, so let's do this!!

- $300 is pretty high honestly, was really hoping for $250. worse yet that there doesn't seem to be a pack-in game? that 1,2 Switch thing looked like the most obvious choice, or Arms or whatever, but that part's pretty disappointing honestly. Wii Sports was a game-changer, and i personally really loved Nintendoland.

- $70 pro controller is also stupid-high, i always wanna grab those things ASAP but i'm honestly hesitating, wonder if prime will knock it down a bit?

- paying for online was prolly in the cards, but ughhhhhh...thanks, MS

now that that's over with!

+ Region free, finally! here's to not missing out on the next Fatal Frame or anything else like that. i think MS mostly ditched it too? so this should be the end of that tired-ass concept finally, yayy!

+ got my BB preorder in! totally went with blue & red, because i know miyamoto said all those cool N64 colors in the day made it look like "a toy" bu that's what video games are, and i need to see more colors out there.

+ Mario Odyssey looks like the Mario 64 sequel i've wanted forever now, i know folks loved Galaxy & it was great but this one really looks exciting!

+ NO MORE HEROES 3 SHIT YEAH MANNNN

+ Shin Megami Tensei anything is nothing but good

+ so it looks like when they start charging for online later this year, the plan is every month you get one free NES or SNES game, with added online play. gotta admit, i'm super interested in new ways to play old games so i need to see what they have in mind there!

god, if the OS adds trophies too that could really make me interested, if the price is right. i really don't like paying to play online anything though, which works since almost everything i tend to play is offline

+ Xenoblade 2 & Splatoon 2 both look great, even if i've yet to play any of those series!

+ i'm so glad i slept on Mario Kart 8, i hear the proper battle mode they're adding brings the SNES maps, which i just adore

+ Super Bomberman R: he's not dead! i love this series.

i'm sure i'm forgetting stuff (the few seconds we saw of Sonic got me happy, and Nagoshi was awesome even if he can't talk about shit yet - always great seeing Suda too!), but overall pretty hyped, March 3rd is right around the corner too!

*edit oh god if Street Fighter II HD Remix Ultra or whatever is actually $40 capcom done lost their minds

I switched (heh) my preorder from neon to black BECAUSE my mild OCD is going to want to complete the set of each color if I get the neon (getting a Left in red and a right in blue) and the joycons cant be purchased individually. $80 gets you a complete set of blue or red (and/or whtever other colors they eventually release). So yea...

Although, part of me is thinking I should hold out for the Switch XL....

$300 is steep, plus a $70 Pro Controller n' a $60 Zelda - that's at least $430...for just one game, right now.

I think the only other launch title announced is that boxing game. I'm honestly on the fence - probably gonna fold...maybe...but if Zelda Wii U really ain't that much different, I'll just wait for a bundle or XL edition. It's really the price - it's $430 out the gate for Zelda.

Would still like sum mo' info regarding Miiverse and the Virtual Console. I invested heavily into the Wii U - if they are just gonna start over from scratch - I really can wait. I still use my Wii U (Mario Kart, Smash, Disney Infinity, Miiverse...free online services) - and if it can run the new Zelda, it'll just make the wait easier.

I've never played Skyrim or Xenoblade - but looks like I'll be giving 'em a shot on Switch...especially Xenoblade - it looked great. That one Atlas RPG - that had that 3D enviroment w/ 2D character sprites? Awesome! Whatever that was! Mario Oddysee looks amazing, too.

As I'm writing this - the more and more my logic circuits are telling me to just wait. I can Zelda on Wii U. I can still be seduced - but, right now - the only 'wow' is Zelda.

miiverse looks to be gone, and i don't know that i need a pro controller right at launch, though i will want one when more games start showing up!

meanwhile, here's Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake, apparently coming to Switch (as is the new Wonder Boy game!)

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-NintendoSwitch.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-06.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-09.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-07.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-03.jpg