Hondo's Bar

Keth

saturn & dreamcast were amazing machines with badass libraries, so i'll take either one

I'm more asking if Nintendo is pretty much done or if this is the stopgap they're doing before they release one failure too many and are then done. (and what on Earth was in the Saturn library that was amazing, I think I have literally only ever heard Nights and Panzer Dragoon mentioned in a good light and nothing else)

...i'll say this: vita had one of the best post-dreamcast launch libraries i've seen

i tend to get 1 game at launch anyway, but that one was impressive

I'm more asking if Nintendo is pretty much done or if this is the stopgap they're doing before they release one failure too many and are then done. (and what on Earth was in the Saturn library that was amazing, I think I have literally only ever heard Nights and Panzer Dragoon mentioned in a good light and nothing else)

oh, well they sell stuff at a profit and have $ so they'll be around i figure, i don't have stock in the company so i'm not too concerned but they don't look like they're going anywhere, which is nice

and it took me years to get into the saturn's library, but we really could do a whole thread on that. a lot of its expensive now, but the working designs RPBs were cool, the entire Panzer series is amazing, and the lion's share of the action/SHUMPs/fighters/etc stayed in JP so its a heavily-improrted system. also guardian heroes is easily one of the best beat-em-ups out there.

if you came up from or otherwise cared about the arcade scene, the saturn was an absolute treasure. if you didn't care about that scene: well, i guess that's okay, because that's what the dreamcast was about too and clearly not enough people around 2000 were checking for that kinda quality, sadly

Yeah but how long can Nintendo really keep up releasing new complicated systems with a small handful of decent titles every few years? They're boxing themselves in and really lagging behind the competition, they have further to fall and they haven't made a mistake of 32X/Sega CD caliber yet but that goodwill they've built up won't last forever.

The software they showed at their presentation helped soften the unknown of the new hardware, even if that new hardware is basically the incestuous lovechild of the systems that came before it.

By and large, i think they'll last around two more failures. The wiiu may not have sold well, but it's not as though the market sees itself flooded with unsold skus, and more of their exclusives sold to expectations than didnt, even if nothing approached system seller status.

My impression of nintendo remains that of "sensible innovators," where they take the chances they want to without going too far down the deep end. If your question is meant to ask "will this be its last system or its second to last system," my highly opinionated gut says neither.

Not to shit on a console I WILL eventually be getting - BUT:

I need me some launch titles. I got Wii U - DAY ONE - along w/ Nintendo Land (part of the console bundle I got), New Super Mario U, ZombiU, Arkham City n' Epic Mickey 2. I still pop in Arkham City every now n' again. Holds up sooo damn well - a freakin' launch title! LOL!

I'm still amazed there's no backward compatibility - some games are still goin' strong: Hyrule Warriors just got DLC 'bout a month ago(?), Splatoon still gets serious play on my end...I already mentioned Mario Kart n' Smash. I'm nowhere sick of my Wii U. I want VC details - I also invested (too much) in the VC. I want to know prices - plans to get a bigger library, that online intergration that was mentioned...how and more importantly IF digital purchases / System Transfers are gonna work.

Nintendo - SELL ME!!!

Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey & such seem like good releases to me...so far, Mario Kart 8 is the only 'new version" isn't it? and 1080p sounds nice for that one

Yeah but how long can Nintendo really keep up releasing new complicated systems with a small handful of decent titles every few years? They're boxing themselves in and really lagging behind the competition, they have further to fall and they haven't made a mistake of 32X/Sega CD caliber yet but that goodwill they've built up won't last forever.

i mean, if it's that or take a big risk on hardware on the level/better than the competition (mega corporations who've both shown they can literally hemorrhage billions in the short run to profit later), yeah, i think they're done with that model, and i don't honestly blame em

i don't know what's complicated about the concept of a hybrid, though - it's clearly built more like a ballder handheld than just a lower-end console, but the truth is they're not likely getting much of that 3rd party support back without offering system parity & hoping that ease makes ports happen more, so yeah, i imagine they're gonna stay in this lane they've been in for over a decade now & keep taking safer chances at something more like the Wii's #'s than the WU's.

i mean, if it's that or take a big risk on hardware on the level/better than the competition (mega corporations who've both shown they can literally hemorrhage billions in the short run to profit later), yeah, i think they're done with that model, and i don't honestly blame em

i don't know what's complicated about the concept of a hybrid, though - it's clearly built more like a ballder handheld than just a lower-end console, but the truth is they're not likely getting much of that 3rd party support back without offering system parity & hoping that ease makes ports happen more, so yeah, i imagine they're gonna stay in this lane they've been in for over a decade now & keep taking safer chances at something more like the Wii's #'s than the WU's.

That's fine so long as people are willing to buy a system for about 10 games. Anything that's not an exclusive is only worth buying if you don't have one of the other systems is on, the virtual marketplace is a fucking shitshow, and even their individual properties don't get the love they deserve. If they want to go lower power that's fine, quit with the fucking gimmicks and just make a system with a strong lineup of exclusive titles. Yeah, the prerequisite Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda games are great but how about putting out a lot of properties. The wii was a nonsensical success but most people just use it for exercise and to watch Netflix. The SNES didn't need a gimmick to be great, neither did the N64 or the Gamecube. Stop trying to revolutionize the way we play games and just give us the games we want to play. Both Sony and Microsoft owned their console cycles by putting out a murderer's row of beloved games, I can literally fit a list of all the Gamecube, Wii, and WiiU titles I want on a single post-it note. Their safe chances are losing people every cycle and the "family" gamers are a fickle lot at best. Splatoon is the first new IP Nintendo has really committed to since Poke'mon (and let's be honest, those bastards are what really keeps the company afloat) and though it seems fun, it's just a cash-in on the team shooter fad which will come to an end eventually.

so, you haven't played a nintendo system in like 10 years, but you have opinions on their libraries, i guess? well, okay

honestly, your post is a mess that ignores tons of things that have changed since the 90's that we can get into if you really want, but you sound like you've arrived at a conclusion on "gimmicks" and such and don't really need interaction there. if that changes, lemme know - meanwhile? i've got just about as many WU titles i enjoy as PS4 so far, but don't let that ruin a good narrative.

PS N64 didn't meet their standards, and GC wasn't at all success. it's weird how many people front & show love to the latter for being the last big hardware push, despite those of us owning one at launch seeing literally quite the opposite about everywhere it mattered

...okay so that was a bit snarkier than it needed to be, i'll blame the booze but mostly just the usual cycle of NINTENDO IS DOOOOMED every new hardware reveal kinda gets me down. it feels like so many who don't seem like they wanna mess with their software want them to either compete directly with playstation/xbox on a hardware level or go 3rd party, and the former is something they've not done for quite a while now, and the latter strikes me as something terrible.

without system parity, a lot of 3rd parties aren't gonna bother with ports - and even then there's a strong argument that it's not likely. i always said it made no sense to consolidate their 2 revenue streams (handheld & console) but the market doesn't really have a lane for dedicated handhelds anymore, so i think them finally keeping their dev teams all on the same page probably makes sense...though i hope that translates to a busier release schedule.

i'm excited for it, i want the console space to be weirder, not all uniform.

so, you haven't played a nintendo system in like 10 years, but you have opinions on their libraries, i guess? well, okay

honestly, your post is a mess that ignores tons of things that have changed since the 90's that we can get into if you really want, but you sound like you've arrived at a conclusion on "gimmicks" and such and don't really need interaction there. if that changes, lemme know - meanwhile? i've got just about as many WU titles i enjoy as PS4 so far, but don't let that ruin a good narrative.

PS N64 didn't meet their standards, and GC wasn't at all success. it's weird how many people front & show love to the latter for being the last big hardware push, despite those of us owning one at launch seeing literally quite the opposite about everywhere it mattered

Yeah, it was a bit much but I'm used to you getting weirdly defensive when I complain about anything related to Nintendo. Just remember I'm not on their board of trustees or anything so if I'm wrong the only person suffering from it is myself.

I do have a Wii and a DS so while I'm not on the cutting edge of Nintendo technology, I've checked in. 3Ds and WiiU were strongly considered purchases but I ultimately just didn't find enough games for either system to justify the purchases. You have to understand, I don't consider gimmicks to be inherently bad. Some Wii games managed to work well with those controls and I've heard a couple of WiiU games use the screen well, and just about every non-Zelda game for the DS worked just fine. I don't really care about keeping up with the competition or pulling in third-party (though I feel like Nintendo could rule the indie-game scene if they threw their hat into that arena and opened an Xbox Live/Steam-esque marketplace which is carefully curated.) I'm aware the Gamecube shit the bed on sales but that was a console generation that was heavily dependent on going big with processing and graphics, we've now reached a point where graphics increases are largely incremental so there's a world to play in there. There are plenty of angles Nintendo could approach games: people have been clamoring for a proper console Poke'mon game for ages, a new Metroid Prime game actually featuring Samus Aran (or a regular Metroid game that isn't made by Team Ninja) would be a more than welcome addition, and stuff like Bayonetta 2, No More Heroes, and Madworld are great. And I too like weird games but I'd rather have weird creative games on a boring system than boring games on a weird creative system. The Gameboy Toaster design is fine but Nintendo has been prioritizing hardware over software for a decade now and it's starting to catch up with them. They're not going to go under (again, that Poke'mon bubble isn't bursting anytime soon) but they're certainly shedding fans and the reason people keep assuming they're going to be going out of the console market every generation is the wrongheadedness of the last 2 consoles. Is it too much to ask that they focus on games rather than the medium through which we play them?

Edited by Iambaytor

I mean, i doubt dead rising will leave microsoft exclusivity to bring itself to the switch.

yeah, for real - nemo, you really would be better off going with a PS4 or XBO if you want those games. Switch is shown to run UE4 so a number of those are possible, but i'd be really surprised to see a single one - while either choice will give you that library & more.

though I feel like Nintendo could rule the indie-game scene if they threw their hat into that arena and opened an Xbox Live/Steam-esque marketplace which is carefully curated.)

to be honest, the more i hear about non-exclusive/2nd party i guess? indie development on consoles, the more i wonder why some of them even bother. the difficulty, arbitrary caps, royalties etc seem fucked.

yeah, you'd think this would equate a world where nintendo opens itself up to ease of development on the one front that could see you on the ground floor of the next big thing, but honestly, i hope i never strike you as too weirdly defensive to acknowledge that nintendo's gonna nintendo here

I'm aware the Gamecube shit the bed on sales but that was a console generation that was heavily dependent on going big with processing and graphics, we've now reached a point where graphics increases are largely incremental so there's a world to play in there.

see i acknowledge they learned the wrong things from the GC - whose 2nd biggest fault was showing up a year too late, 1st simply not being the PS2 when said system was just steamrollnig everything anyway...but part of me wonders if seeing their former biggest competitor (sega) bow out & the new kid (MS) literally bleed billions to stay in the game and figured they had to abandon that standard model. it's been a theory of mine, anyway

people have been clamoring for a proper console Poke'mon game for ages,

well, depending on how you define the switch, this one's coming at least

a new Metroid Prime game actually featuring Samus Aran (or a regular Metroid game that isn't made by Team Ninja) would be a more than welcome addition

i hear you - but to quote another:

This is the real problem.

Retro is done with Metroid.

Sakamoto is done with Metroid.

Nintendo R&D1 is gone.

Tanabe isn't done with Metroid, but after the flop of Federation Force I doubt Nintendo will humor him.

So who's left?

this leaves them almost absolutely outsourcing it, and we all saw how Other M went - which is shitty, because on paper & early builds i think it looked great. i liked what they were going for - trying to reincorporate the acrobatics lost in the Prime series - but holy hell, so very much after that (and including some of the controls) went terrible and clearly buried things for a while.

gotta figure they've a solid relationship with Platinum at this point, and fuck knows i'd be open to that.

and stuff like Bayonetta 2, No More Heroes, and Madworld are great. And I too like weird games but I'd rather have weird creative games on a boring system than boring games on a weird creative system.

...Is it too much to ask that they focus on games rather than the medium through which we play them?

no, but i think they've been developing the games around the hardware forever now - at least since the unique controls of the N64 & GC, i wanna say. and clearly they've gone laterally to do something different with the lower-powered, lower-risk hardware. the WU didn't resonate with many cause the idea of playing off a tablet was prolly something revolutionary if it'd happened around the time of the Wii, you know?

i think i'm optimistic here cause as you've said, they're kinda doing an apple-like thing, but the handheld bit is said to be a fantastic screen, and 720p with however many hours of battery life you get out of it sounds alright - but besides what i said about them consolidating teams, consider this: while the Wii & especially WU saw little to no 3rd party support, the DS & 3DS absolutely did, and those developers now kinda fall onto the Switch (i'm honestly hoping the lack of sony's handheld presence means Vita devs too). at the very least, weird japanese shit should still have its home here

and for my end, that's what i thought the problem was - the first party games were almost always quality, there just weren't at all enough of them (in enough genres) to get by the lack of other stuff. i don't rightly know if this'll bring more fans back on, but at the very least, we should have a much more round library as it goes.

I mean, i doubt dead rising will leave microsoft exclusivity to bring itself to the switch.

I don't think they're exclusive - they ported the first one over to the Wii - and I'm pretty sure Dead Rising is also on PS4. Is the latest one exclusive?

They should've just ported the bonanza of HD remakes out there over - which are now considered 'old': Bioshock...they're doing Skyrim, RE, Dead Rising, DOTT...if the machine can handle it - I don't get how these names at launch could hurt in moving consoles. If they had those titles at launch - it would've been huge.

yeah, for real - nemo, you really would be better off going with a PS4 or XBO if you want those games. Switch is shown to run UE4 so a number of those are possible, but i'd be really surprised to see a single one - while either choice will give you that library & more.

If they seriously ain't coming over...

tumblr_mlo5pgOKlR1sonquko1_500.gif

...and I'll just hafta submit n' invest in next-gen.

id love to see the SCUMM games come over (they should've on the Wii, emulating them there was awesome) but i seriously doubt Skyrim is gonna put up #'s at this point. it can't hurt to port last gen stuff like that & bioshock, sure, but one of the reasons you don't see as much of that (aside from system specs) with the newer titles is the perception that on nintendo hardware, you're competing with nintendo software - with a crowd that, even when the Wii was on fire, no one seems to know exactly what they're after, so it's more of a risk.

HD re-releases of zeldas & such seem to do alright, but i can't see any of the other stuff really being "huge", unless it's a whole new take like REmake was on GC, personally.

So while I think people have been kinda harsh on the system, it isn't without its criticisms. Jim Sterling's show today was mainly about the online service, which is looking to be pretty upsetting. With games that expire after a month, whether you are paying or not, is very shitty. It would have to have a lot more incentives or be way cheaper than psn or Xbox gold. Nintendo needs to up their game on that part.

As for the launch lineup, which seems to be another point of contention, it's fine. Name me a system with a killer launch lineup in recent memory. Zelda is always a system seller, and with it out of the gate, it's probably the best game to come out with a system. However the problem with this is that it will also be out for the Wii U. Soooo yeah, ok, that may not be a great move.

As for the gimmicky part I think it sucks that Nintendo is still stuck in their ways with wagglin, but if the 3rd parties were really that impressed by it I can trust them to put out some cool shit. Nintendo can market their tech demos while people like Suda and Platinum come aboard and give us shit like NMH and Bayonetta 3.Hopefully Nintendo can open their eyes to what they are doing wrong. In the meantime I'm going to concentrate on the good stuff to come. Not ignoring what's going wrong here, but certainly not worried about it.

i still think not bundling a title - particularly one to show off what the system can do - is a mistake. i paid $300+ for a WU with more HDD space & Nintnedoland, and might've done the same here, but it really would've appeared better to people at that price with a game like ARMS or 1,2 Switch or something.

paying for online sucks (and i literally have no idea why they're not letting people keep the VC games with online past their given month, i'm assuming they're trying to make events out of them) but i am curious how much they're gonna charge...if its around the amount of PSN & XBL, i imagine they'll rightfully catch more shit.

haven't watched Sterling's latest, does he mention the high cost of accessories? Sony used to be the worst about that for me, but these are even higher than a dualshock 4. i know there's heptic feedback or whatever but fuck, $70?

I already preordered BotW on Wii U.

Unfortunately and sadly, I won't be on the DAY ONE journey w/ Switch - I'm gonna let the Switch sort itself (maybe around Mario Odyssey / Holiday). I've been DAY ONE since Gamecube - even managed to get a Wii DAY ONE...so this is extremely odd for me - not to be frothing at their new 'console'.

I'll be onboard the Switch-train once it becomes a no-brainer. I've been looking at stuff, it just ain't grabbing me as a 'right now' thing. I think I'm gonna nab a PS4 Slim - I'm currently rockin' a Wii U n' a 360 (as my 'best-of-both-worlds' console) - that's how 'up-to-date' and 'with it' I am..and the Switch looks like it's gonna be leaving me feeling like I'm missing out - 3rd party-wise. Not to derail the conversation, but - Panch: you got a PS4 or was it a PS3? To put it back on topic: ur thoughts on Switch?

the-nintendo-switch-has-arrived-and-it-is-the-console-we-have-been-waiting-for.jpg

NZA if Baytor got you riled up, this will be worse. 90% of it rags on the Online stuff. He only briefly touches upon some of the other things like the controller price and whatnot. I feel like he is a bit unfair to certain things like the launch lineup, and Mario Odyssey (which looks fucking awesome in my opinion. I don't have the Sonic shit to go by so I don't care about that.)

He also talks about shortages and supply of the console which he is totally right about there. Anyway, it's a little over the top with the vitriol, but it's also Jim Sterling so it isn't to be taken that seriously.