Hondo's Bar

Keth

yeah, they rolled out the online deal this week (too lazy to post details) and it included online play for a bunch of really old NES games...i think it was kinda obvious they wanted to marry their classic library & accessing it to a paywall, sadly

again though: looking at the minimal effort they put into it last gen?  this doesn't bother me nearly as much as back in the wii days when it was an impressive library 

nso.png?w=540&h=344

20 bucks a year to use their online servers is fine...the smartphone app is dookie...so is paying for the ability to back up your save.

Only thing I'm interested in - is online play w/ sum classic titles.  These are all First Party.  The NES has very, very few couch-coop games...

1_May_8_10_10_21.jpg?resize=696,389&ssl=

Ice Climbers...Balloon Fight...Dr. Mario?  Um, kaaaaay...

The rest that I'm seeing here is really turn-based coop...Super Mario Bros 3...Donkey Kong.  Guessing Zelda will be all about Leaderboards?

I want shit like Online NES Contra!  I'll say it: Online NES Rescue Rangers!  Maybe when the SNES shows up - the service could explode w/ online coop beat-em-ups?  Like Turtles in Time...Final Fight...(sigh) we'll never get those.  What the fuck are they doing?  This isn't really exciting.

5hXk3w3.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay, I get to spend more money!

Diablo III - Eternal Collection announced for Switch with a 2018 release date:

Never played this on PC (though I know I should have) but now I have no excuse. I'm super excited about this on the Switch for some reason.

Also the next Doom game is gonna be on Switch and I want it so bad...

Man I waited to play the last doom on switch- by which I mean I slept on the game until I had the switch and it made sense to buy on that platform for convenience-and having finished it immediately rebought the vr version,  which is also a tonne of fun. 

It's a shame the first wolfenstein didn't get ported to switch too because I happily would have kept up the momentum playing on the go through 1 & 2 but ah well. 

• Upvote 1

Just picked up Stardew Valley and I'm falling into that rabbit hole...again. The only game on my steam account that has over 100 hours in it, and I pick it up for the most portable gaming system I own. This semester will be a fun one.

In all honesty, I feel like this will be a great game to take to school with me for breaks here and there between classes/homework. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

That's why I love the switch.  It's such microtransactional fun.  You can just pop in and out of shit with a spare minute.  

I too have star Dew valley but bring honest it's too complex for the reward for me.  I guess I'm just not an agricultural guy.  I'd give an incisor for a solid colour matching game like gems of war though. 

Hey what's your friend code?  ( :lush:)

I dunno, it's a super relaxing game for me (and I minmax the shit out of it), but my wife gets really frustrated at how tedious it can be at times.

That being said, I generally make sure my farms are as automated as possible  [actual spoilers]:

Spoiler

(sprinklers, Junimo gatherers, etc)

so I don't have to deal with all that.

Edited by Stilly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo has been clear that, at present, Virtual Console will not be coming to the Switch. They have instead pushed the NSO as its counterpart on the Switch. How will that work when they're only offering NES games?

Nintendo stated that they were still considering SNES games for the paid service however we now know that SNES games are not included. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo: new NES games coming every month to NSO, list for October through December

[IMG]

Nintendo has revealed the next batch of games coming to Nintendo Switch Online - NES

SP = Special version in EU for some reason. 

Launch titles:

• Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong™
  • Mario Bros.™
  • Super Mario Bros.™
  • Balloon Fight™
  • Ice Climber™
  • Dr. Mario™
  • The Legend of Zelda™
  • Super Mario Bros.™ 3
  • Double Dragon
  • River City Ransom
  • Ghosts'n Goblins™
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Gradius
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Excitebike™
  • Yoshi™
  • Ice Hockey
  • Baseball

October:

• Double Dragon (SP)
  • Gradius (SP)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Solomon's Key
  • SUPER DODGE BALL
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)

November:

• Dr. Mario (SP)
  • Metroid (SP)
  • Mighty Bomb Jack
  • Super Mario Bros. (SP)
  • TwinBee

December:

• Adventures of Lolo
  • The Legend of Zelda (SP)
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • Wario's Woods

As long as you remain a member, you'll have access to the full line-up of games at any given time.

*Active Nintendo Switch Online paid membership and periodic online check-in required.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...nt-System-Nintendo-Switch-Online-1434614.html

in light of all the online details we now know: 

Shockingly enough, Nintendo Switch Online is a full regression from the Wii U

To me, the shocking thing about the Switch Online service isn't just how bad it is (it's very bad)- it's how much of a regression it is from the Wii U's Nintendo Network.

Nintendo Network on the Wii U was not the best. It was behind in a lot of ways. But in spite of this, the online offering on Wii U was miles ahead of where we are at now with the Switch in every way but one:

• It had native voice chat on the system
  • It had video chat support
  • It had integrated communities (such as Miiverse)
  • It had messaging for friends on the system
  • It used usernames, and not Friend Codes

This actually was a service they could have gotten away with charging $20 a year for- not more than that, because, as noted, it was still lagging behind the competition in substantial ways, but $20 a year for this would have been fine (especially once the "perks" like cloud saves and "free" VC games were thrown in). Right now, we have an online system with no messaging, no native voice chat, no integrated communities, and a regression to Friend Codes.

honestly I'm gonna do the free trial & see if it's something i use (VC wise) but there's no denying that for actual online use, this feels like a step backwards 

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of authenticity, that thing looks hack AF and the bezel looks more cumbersome than carrying around an Atari Lynx.

Stop me if you've heard this before but an ideal pro unit would be about the same size as current and hold all the additional power in the dock- hell make that thing big as an OG xbox for all I care, just leave the portable aspect portable.

I begrudgingly got Online.  Only because I have to.  My gf needs Splatoon - and I keep in touch w/ sum folks via Smash (not local).  W/ Ultimate nearly here - gonna need the Online.

Got the Family Plan and fumbled through google - trying to set all the accounts up.  It's not intuitive or self-explanatory AT ALL.  Prepare to google on how to activate and register accounts to the 'Main' account.

1321.gif?w=320

I tested NES Online - can't join strangers - you can only play w/ registered Friends.  I'm in Georgia State - tested it w/ sum folks WAY out in Washington state.  The connection wouldn't last more than a few seconds.  Once a game was started - the session would just end,  we get booted...it just kept disconnecting.  Unplayable.  Like - the definition of unplayable.  It's a Peer-to-Peer set up - no dedicated servers...so it's wholly reliant on just youz guyz connections.

Abysmal experience.  So mad.  A few days later, (Sunday) - we tried again.

We toggled 'Turn Latency Mode OFF' - in the NES Online Settings (which can only be accessed once an online session / connection has been established) and it fuckin' held.  For hours.  Flawless.  Not choppy or laggy...like, scary-smooth.  I really felt like couch-coop - again, scary!  LOL  Noticeable slight-lag found only in Super Mario Bros and SMB3...totally workable, doable, playable...but subtle moments of 'yup, I felt it...'

Jumped in and outta games - no prob.  Played coop Mario Bros Arcade...totally flawless.  After the shit-show that was my intro - it all ended up impressing the hell outta me.  Like, big time.  Really floored.  'Old hat' to sum, I'm sure - (online NES emulation) - but, to me...WHOA!!!

The experience of...

200.gif

...will not be forgotten.  I could not shut up about how amazed I was.  It's a cool 'thing' to do on the Switch w/ a bud online...bite-sized entertainment.  Everyone who has Online...has NES Online...a round of Mario Bros Arcade...Dr. Mario...a fun 'something to do'.  You'll be bored after half an hour, but - it works...and it's there.  (shrugs)  'Dodgeball' comes out t'morrow.

OH!  Forgot to mention - you can use the right-stick to move a cursor 'hand' about the screen:  it's also fun to purposely fuck up jumps n' such for the 'other player' in SMB (and other turn-based stuff)...by totally covering their character-sprite or distracting them as they precision platform - while you wait your turn.  Lotta laughs...and something to do while you wait.

63510043.jpg

• 3 months later...

man, the last few months have been monster boy, katamari reroll, golf story, dev story, travis strikes again...i don't even have smash but my switch is getting more play than even the year before with zelda BOTW & mario odyssey (both of which were fantastic)