Hondo's Bar

Best Metallica Album

Reverend Jax

What is the best Metallica album?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like how the intensity builds as the song continues. Then it gets faster and faster! Yes, crunching guitars! fat fast riffs! banging drums! It sounds awesome! It's a very sad statement on the state of hard rock that Metallica return after a long hiatus and rules rock radio! It towers over every other current rock song. Step off the throne you rock n roll posers, THE KINGS ARE BACK!

I CANNOT WAIT TO BUY THIS ALBUM!

Are you serious? The last two minutes sound promising, but the rest of it is utter wank. I mean, the music is weak by comparison to what they've put out before and to say it towers over every other current rock song is a lie, an absolute lie.

I'd almost rather listen to Thunder. Seriously, check out Backstreet Symphony, the album. More specifically, english man on holiday.

Edited by the division of joy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? The last two minutes sound promising, but the rest of it is utter wank. I mean, the music is weak by comparison to what they've put out before and to say it towers over every other current rock song is a lie, an absolute lie.

I'd almost rather listen to Thunder. Seriously, check out Backstreet Symphony, the album. More specifically, english man on holiday.

I will check those out, I was referring to FM radio stations in the States, and yes it does tower all of the music played on FM radio stations in the States. This is the first song from Metallica that combines the introspective songs of the 90's, with the bone crunching of 80's Metallica. You must admit this one song is better that ALL of St. Anger.

I fart better than st anger. I'd rather listen to the Load or ReLoad than have to wait until the sixth minute of a song for anything resembling metallica, musically. Lyrically, its on par with st. anger. I really haven't got high hopes for the album. I'd say you'd agree with my point thought that the lyrics are a let down on what metallica have done in the past.

and i wouldn't check out thunder if i were you, that was a joke. they're a terrible terrible band.

And on the st. anger point, musically, the song itself, st anger, was very good. Raw, gritty, fast paced and pulsatingly thrashy. I'd rather listen to an instrumental of st. anger than that new video.

Edited by the division of joy

I fart better than st anger. I'd rather listen to the Load or ReLoad than have to wait until the sixth minute of a song for anything resembling metallica, musically. Lyrically, its on par with st. anger. I really haven't got high hopes for the album. I'd say you'd agree with my point thought that the lyrics are a let down on what metallica have done in the past.

and i wouldn't check out thunder if i were you, that was a joke. they're a terrible terrible band.

And on the st. anger point, musically, the song itself, st anger, was very good. Raw, gritty, fast paced and pulsatingly thrashy. I'd rather listen to an instrumental of st. anger than that new video.

I knew thunder was a joke, LOL I was actually thinking about what that album would be called.

There are elements of St. Anger that are really strong, "Invisible Kid" is a good song. I kind of see St. Anger as a catharsis to work out the demons, this really makes sense if you see "Some Kind of Monster" excellent film about the inner struggles within the band. Its like a jamming therapy session.

As far as great lyrics, yeah they are not "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". Those days sadly are gone In the nineties songs like "Hero of the Day" and "Mama Said" had excellent lyrics. James is not the same guy he was in 1985, he does not relate to that person anymore. Their song structures have become very simple and straight-forward.

Alot criticize how they changed in the 90's, at first it bothered me. Then I realized they had to evolve, if they didn't they would become relics. As much as I love Exodus and Slayer they are no longer on the musical map because did not try new avenues of music. When I saw them in concert on the "Load" tour I worried that they would not play the songs that made me a fanatic in the first place. Happily they proved me wrong. They will play those classics because they know that is what made them. These later albums are artistic expressions that evolve from elements of those early albums.

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

and also, megadeth have fantastic lyrics

:2T::ohface: :ohface: :ohface: :ohface: :ohface: :ohface:

funniest thing anyone has ever said

I'd rather listen to the Load or ReLoad than have to wait until the sixth minute of a song for anything resembling metallica, musically.

so true

why would metallica

break the mould like this?

Ride The Lightning

1. "Fight Fire with Fire"

2. "Ride the Lightning"

3. "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

4. "Fade to Black"

5. "Trapped Under Ice"

6. "Escape"

7. "Creeping Death"

8. "The Call of Ktulu"

Master Of Puppets

1. "Battery"

2. "Master of Puppets"

3. "The Thing That Should Not Be"

4. "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"

5. "Disposable Heroes"

6. "Leper Messiah"

7. "Orion"

8. "Damage, Inc."

...And Justice For All

1. "Blackened"

2. "...And Justice for All"

3. "Eye of the Beholder"

4. "One"

5. "The Shortest Straw"

6. "Harvester of Sorrow"

7. "The Frayed Ends of Sanity"

8. "To Live Is to Die"

9. "Dyers Eve"

Death Magnetic

1. "That Was Just Your Life"

2. "The End of the Line"

3. "Broken, Beat & Scarred"

4. "The Day That Never Comes"

5. "All Nightmare Long"

6. "Cyanide"

7. "The Unforgiven III"

8. "The Judas Kiss"

9. "Suicide & Redemption"

10. "My Apocalypse"

But hey, what'd i know.

not a lot apparently

Edited by alive she cried

Asc, i like how you read what i said, quoted it, and didn't pay attention to it, just because i strongly disagree with you doesn't mean you doesn't mean you have to get all pissy about the subject. It appears you have misunderstood what i put forth as simple english. The song musically isn't great until the last 2 minutes. The song lyrically is a shambles. To highlight the song alongside fade to black, one and welcome home makes You look rather foolish, not i.And megadeth have some great lyrics, just a dodgy vocalist :2T:

I knew thunder was a joke, LOL I was actually thinking about what that album would be called.There are elements of St. Anger that are really strong, "Invisible Kid" is a good song. I kind of see St. Anger as a catharsis to work out the demons, this really makes sense if you see "Some Kind of Monster" excellent film about the inner struggles within the band. Its like a jamming therapy session.As far as great lyrics, yeah they are not "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". Those days sadly are gone In the nineties songs like "Hero of the Day" and "Mama Said" had excellent lyrics. James is not the same guy he was in 1985, he does not relate to that person anymore. Their song structures have become very simple and straight-forward.Alot criticize how they changed in the 90's, at first it bothered me. Then I realized they had to evolve, if they didn't they would become relics. As much as I love Exodus and Slayer they are no longer on the musical map because did not try new avenues of music. When I saw them in concert on the "Load" tour I worried that they would not play the songs that made me a fanatic in the first place. Happily they proved me wrong. They will play those classics because they know that is what made them. These later albums are artistic expressions that evolve from elements of those early albums.
I can't disagree with that first paragraph. Its nothing but truth.Mostly the same with the second, except that exodus are still around and their last three albums are three of the best metal albums i've ever listened to. Tempo of the damned is absolutely brilliant, in my opinion. I think this album may have been overhyped in my opinion before it got going. I've had friends hyping it for months, wiki making it out to be great, shit like that, it makes it easy to dislike when the day comes along when you hear something from it that really isn't what I personally would call "good metallica". But i thank you for your mature approach, unlike the poster below you.

ASC you reminded of one of the best moments in my life so far. Two years ago Metallica were playing Dublin and to mark the 20th anniversary of both the release of Master of Puppets and Cliff Burtons death they played every track of Puppets LIVE!!! I never thought id hear Orion live as well as Damage Inc. One of the best fucking moments ever.

I think the last 10 years for metallica haven't been great, but you have to get them credit for trying! And to say they aren't good at what they do is way wrong. They use to be one of the greatest metal bands of all time. You can't say that Ride The Lighting is a bad album. I don't even think you can say Load is a bad album for a band like Metallica to to an album like that so different from what they were doing at the time. And it still being a good rock album says a lot, because their is a difference between metal and rock. And they do both pretty well. They have made mistakes, but I think mistakes they can get out of. They still rock I don't care what anyone says.

I've remained silently diplomatic in this shit for pretty much, ever because 1) it's been way too long since I listened to anything pre-Justice and liked anything post-justice and therefore have all the perspective of ______, but after a *ahem* calm & reasoned discussion with Crim last night I realised I probably am still about even with you damned whippersnappers.

Metallica can be blamed very hard for trying, in fact I hope one day for technomancers to give us Hell-o-vision that shows the terrible fates that await 'artists' who either go off the deep end ala Yoko, or just sell out so goddamned hard they need a kilo of blow and bag of hundred dollar bills just to get through a fucking album. Me, I enjoy television and gaming a whole lot, but can't wait to see James Hetfield flailed with the razor-edged skeleton of one Fred Durst by a 90-something German Housefrau while Lars Ulrich laps up the aged mess leaking out of her back end as she gets more and more excited. :mad: to whoever works Jason Newstead into that image somehow, and the sound knowledge that Cliff Burton, one of Hell's higher-ranking overseers will look kindly on you.

Seriously, my deep prejudice prevents me from even listening to anything post-Reload(although I acknowledge Justice as the last good album) which as stated, really limits the effect of my hate but christ, I don't need to go in and watch Calista Flockhart blowing donkeys in TJ as advertised to know she's past her prime.

I've remained silently diplomatic in this shit for pretty much, ever because 1) it's been way too long since I listened to anything pre-Justice and liked anything post-justice and therefore have all the perspective of ______, but after a *ahem* calm & reasoned discussion with Crim last night I realised I probably am still about even with you damned whippersnappers.

Metallica can be blamed very hard for trying, in fact I hope one day for technomancers to give us Hell-o-vision that shows the terrible fates that await 'artists' who either go off the deep end ala Yoko, or just sell out so goddamned hard they need a kilo of blow and bag of hundred dollar bills just to get through a fucking album. Me, I enjoy television and gaming a whole lot, but can't wait to see James Hetfield flailed with the razor-edged skeleton of one Fred Durst by a 90-something German Housefrau while Lars Ulrich laps up the aged mess leaking out of her back end as she gets more and more excited. :) to whoever works Jason Newstead into that image somehow, and the sound knowledge that Cliff Burton, one of Hell's higher-ranking overseers will look kindly on you.

Seriously, my deep prejudice prevents me from even listening to anything post-Reload(although I acknowledge Justice as the last good album) which as stated, really limits the effect of my hate but christ, I don't need to go in and watch Calista Flockhart blowing donkeys in TJ as advertised to know she's past her prime.

Quoted for trufax. You can't silence or ignore me Metalifags. :P