Hondo's Bar

Best Metallica Album

Reverend Jax

What is the best Metallica album?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is more of a hard rock sound, at least in comparision to their older work (And Justice for All and all other previous albums). the solo at the end of The Day That Never Comes is missing from the album, or at least the version I heard. I do need to give it another listen, but I'm going to wait until it comes out so I can hear it as it's ment to be played.

Re-listened to the album, and i'd honestly say, its lyrically worse than st anger. Parts of the music are ok, but i mean. Its not metal, i'd rather them do something like load or reload than try force something that isn't there anymore with them. Its a massive massive dent in their now flailing cred.

Your all a bunch of elitist arses. Metallica were at the top of their game for damn near 20 years. They have produced some of the best music in their genre. Yes they are stuttering musically and creatively lately but fuck it we live in the age of mediocrity. Metallicas recent stuff is better than half the godawful shit out there at the moment.

Your all a bunch of elitist arses. Metallica were at the top of their game for damn near 20 years. They have produced some of the best music in their genre. Yes they are stuttering musically and creatively lately but fuck it we live in the age of mediocrity. Metallicas recent stuff is better than half the godawful shit out there at the moment.

I'm not elitist, i just think that if a band hypes up its own album so much, they should at least live up to it. And their recent stuff isn't better than some of the stuff out there. I've listened to st anger 4 times in my life, and i don't think i'll go much further than the 3 listens i've given death magnetic. And none of those 7 listens were enjoyable.

I think metallica are in the "old dog" phase. Yes, they started off great, enthused, energetic. Like a puppy. Now though its lost its energy and its going blind and it needs to be brought out back and put down

Edited by the division of joy

I have been listening to it all day. Letting soak in all day, on the these sweet Skull Candy Metallica headphones, that came with a download of the album.

Picture4.png

I highly recommend picking them up.

I must say I like Death Magnetic. Welcome back to Kirk Hammett's soaring solos and (thank god) a tight snare drum. It is an interesting mix of James Hetfield current bluesy singing and some much missing moments of true thrash mixed in with hard rock. True, it is not Ride or Master, but then again they are not that band anymore. You cannot expect a band to reproduce their hit albums again. I think Metallica has continued to grow musically they have not been afraid to show that they are master musicians, even if that means sometimes turning down the decibels. There are really really good moments of mayhem that harken back to before the Black Album. I could see how if the listener did not like the 90's Metallica they would not like parts of this album. I like the range that James displays with his voice, true the lyrics have become more simplistic, he is no longer the guy that felt he had to write Fade to Black. But, the new music shows that James still has old demons that he deals with through song.

The bottom line its hard to complain about a great album, it can't be too bad when the worst complaint many people have had is that it's just not a epic as early albums from over 20 years ago. The band has changed since then and so have we.

This album is better than most of the stuff on American Rock Radio. Its good to have the kings back. I cannot wait to see them add these songs to their classics and take Death Magnetic to the road. :)

I have a big soft spot for Metallica and its refreshing to hear someone enjoyed the album. I have yet to hear it but I prefer to see the glass as half full. The leaked songs ive heard so far sound pretty damn good.

Yeah Metallica I've listen to since middle school! Many things in my life have changed, but I will defend my boys in black. You seem to have the same affinity for them as me Crim. I am positive you are going to enjoy the album, particularly if you maintain a positive attitude towards it. To me they are making a bold statement with this album, they know what brought them here, and they can still produce excellent sonic mayhem!

Yeah Metallica I've listen to since middle school! Many things in my life have changed, but I will defend my boys in black. You seem to have the same affinity for them as me Crim. I am positive you are going to enjoy the album, particularly if you maintain a positive attitude towards it. To me they are making a bold statement with this album, they know what brought them here, and they can still produce excellent sonic mayhem!

I've felt similar towards metallica too, but i feel their last two albums were just slaps in the face, in my opinion. And i like crim had optimism for both of the albums and was spectacularly let down each time. I just don't particularly get what they're trying to do. I mean, i get he's not the same guy he was 20 years ago, but to come out and say this album is a missing link between justice and black makes me think its going to be something spectacular, which, in my opinion, it wasn't.

I just feel like i'm coming across as a naysayer here...

ps, skull candy earphones rock, i have a set myself, but they're the in-ear buds

lucky me, the guy working next to me decided to play the album on an endless loop for the twelve hours I was at work yesterday. I didn't catch all the song names, BUT I am impressed with Unforgiven 3, so there's that. It is WAY better than St.Anger, but it just goes to show their 'glory days' are over, at least for me.

I'll do a song by song review just as soon as I have time.

*waits with bated breath*

Crim & I had this long, drunken discussion the other night about the fundamental core philosophy re his blind-eye toward Metallica and my opposing view and we came to this concensus: Shane will help a war vet across the street and help clean his/her mess when they get senile and start flinging their poop at loved ones they belive to be 'Charlie' or 'Sour-Krauts' whereas I, upon seeing said War veteran will rub his/her nose in his/her own poop because years of dedication and goodwill are no excuse for acting the fucking fool now, and you best believe if you need help crossing the street, I will push you in front of a bus.

Having said that, I have loaded Shane's entire metallica backcatalogue onto my Ipod and will listen to all that i've missed in order to make a better constructed argument and make him cry a little more.

I will cry none sir and those vets are fuckin heroes belive you me. Theres a not-so-secret conservative in me.

About 60% into Death Magnetic and I really don't see the negative with it. It's better than St Anger (i actually didnt mind that album, dont hurt me. better sound than most of the [insert obscure modern metal subgenre] albums out there at the moment) and its got some fucking good riffs in there.

My ultimate opinion is I Love The Shit Out Of It. 8/10 with points docked for being ever so slightly derivative of previous albums. Overall its very worth the money. This is Metallica evolved and not a soul can convince me otherwise.

I guess most of unconditional love for them stems from seeing them live. Say what you like about em but those old farts can still get the crowd going better than most of the snot-nosed whippersnappers out there who view a live show as an excuse to whine about that bitch in the 12th grade who wouldnt go down on them.

• 3 months later...