Hondo's Bar

Iron Fist

true, but even with that plot: imagine the fight choreography from daredevil here. there would've been no argument about this being better than luke cage...but as it stands, i think luke may've had the better show, even with the flaws baytor pointed out

Stylistically and in regards to stunts, Iron Fist failed but it had a stronger and better-paced story than any of the shows. Daredevil had the best stunts, Cage had the best visuals/lead, Jessica had the best villain, and Iron Fist had the best story and I would argue the most sympathetic character, Danny's immature but not as much of an asshole as everyone else.

• 2 months later...

season 2 announced, new showrunner!

EW has learned the Marvel superhero drama will change showrunners for its next round. Scott Buck (Dexter) is stepping down from the top writing gig on the show with Raven Metzner (Sleepy Hollow, Falling Skies) being hired to fill the top slot.

don't know how much of an improvement that is, but at least it's not Buck again

ePgbzz6.gif

sJPosvc.jpg

• 11 months later...

"Old school kung fu," Barber explained. "That's what we wanted to do, we wanted to turn this thing into a punk rock song and that's what we did. You're really going to enjoy it."

Barber then went on to reveal an inspiration for the kung fu-style fighting this season.

"Of course, Jackie Chan!" revealed Barber. "That's what we went off of, that's why we're calling it old school."

dude apparently did fights for blade, creed & panther so I'm way more excited now!

• Upvote 1

yeah...that was my # 1 thing.  i wasn't sold on this dude as danny, but i came around to him (he was better in luke season 2, i thought).  they kinda chumped colleen by making her originally a duped member of the hand (...) and absolutely wasted a great storyline with the bride of 9 spiders bit, but my single biggest gripe was that my boy matty had some next-level fight choreography, and scott buck's mess of a season 1 had CW-tier fights (if that) for a character who's supposed to be the best of the bunch at it.  losing buck & whoever did that is a huge blessing.  

side note: i'd love, love, love a shang-chi show at some point with the fights done by the into the badlands folks 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

literally everything there looked better than last season - fights, production, villain, all of it. feels good to be excited about this 

minor gripe but i rolled my eyes at the trailer trope of i didn't ask for the iron fist..." BRUH YOU FOUGHT LIKE A FOOTBALL TEAM OF DUDES AND A DRAGON FOR IT, COME ON GUY

On 8/16/2018 at 11:03 PM, The NZA said:

literally everything there looked better than last season - fights, production, villain, all of it. feels good to be excited about this 

Hide contents

minor gripe but i rolled my eyes at the trailer trope of i didn't ask for the iron fist..." BRUH YOU FOUGHT LIKE A FOOTBALL TEAM OF DUDES AND A DRAGON FOR IT, COME ON GUY

Agreed on all of it (especially the spoiler). But S1 did me so damn dirty...I...I'm just not sure I'm ready to forgive it...yet.

yeah, i feel you. newt is the only person i know that's a bigger fan of the comics and he straight bailed around bride of nine spiders, which i understood.  

i just know that i literally can't not watch actual garbage like ABC's Inhumans so even if this was somehow scott buck again (UGH) at some point i'd subject myself to it.  so the fact that it's not has me way more excited! 

On 8/17/2018 at 12:03 AM, The NZA said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I had the same reaction. And this is a symptom of my overall dissatisfaction with the show They seemed set to tell a story about a character who just happens to share the name and get him wallowing in angst that isn't very Iron Fist-y. You have a problem with CW-level fight scenes, but my big problem is the CW school of drama-creation and characterization that they seem to be following since Season 1. They could have done the inverse of what the trailer did and used this as a moment of pride.

Spoiler

"I worked hard to have the Iron Fist!"

And then whatever drama they were trying for, whether it was him saying he was tired of the duties or he was going to make sure he took his duties seriously or he was going to take on the job of making corner of the world a better place, it could have been attached after and still been a pretty dramatic statement of character but with a big tonal difference that would have separated Iron Fist out from all the woe-is-me figures on TV superhero shows. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just finished up - 10 episodes felt a lot better here, wasn't sure how they were gonna drag on past that

this was a much better season - again, from fights to character and villains - but still rough at parts 

- watching them build up the daughters of the dragon was fun here, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing what colleen does with her power, however weird the choice first felt. we've not really seen someone competent with it

- ward continues stealing a number of scenes he's in and just developing as an interesting character

- true to the books, joy's motivations aren't always clear and her plotline feels weak/messy at times (especially after ward breaks down & explains what a monster their dad was)

- mary likewise came into her own, and based on nocentti's original DD story, i really don't see how it would have worked here so this take was fine. i like that we set her up by the end to be full typhoid soon as well 

- i know some folks still don't like the dude playing danny but from season 1 to defenders to here, i dug some of the character arc he's had 

that said? the final scene was weird - we namedrop a big character, then inexplicably illustrate his powers?

honestly I'd love to have the plotlines here tied up elsewhere and toss danny & luke together for the inevitable heroes for hire (rather than a respective 3rd season for both) but that still doesn't feel super likely yet 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...