Hondo's Bar

Luke Cage

Keth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Link

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big beats. Bigger beat downs. Check out the music behind the series. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LukeCage?src=hash">#LukeCage</a> <a href="https://t.co/dT2rl0XDgS">pic.twitter.com/dT2rl0XDgS</a></p>— Luke Cage (@LukeCage) <a href="https://twitter.com/LukeCage/status/770975706675224577">August 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Musical influence from Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest and Ennio Morricone. It's like they made this just for you Nick.

Edit: So I guess Twitter still hates forums.

Edited by alive she cried

• 3 weeks later...

Is that the same character from Civil War? 'Mariah Dillard' - the bereaved mother who wants to know 'who's going to avenge her son?' Oy - Civil War...(slow-mo, extended eye-roll) I've seen it a several times since buying it on blu - it's actually worse than my initial first viewing.

So her character hates the Avengers because her son was killed as they were trying to save him? I'm guessing her 'hate-on' is going to extend to vigilantes in general...because lives won't be lost if there is federal oversight. Maybe she'll try to make some waves in the political arena? 'Politics is where the power is.'

We are on episode six now. It's not bad, but not great. Probably my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows so far. I love Mike Colter so much, I am just bored by everything happening around him. Luke is interesting enough to keep me around, hoping the rest of the season gets better.

4 eps in and I'm with Donatella. It's definitely not bad, but almost every time Luke isn't on screen, I lose interest. Or when they start talking about sports or some shit. Takes me out completely. Loved the origin ep though. I'm also thoroughly enjoying Frank "Smart Motherfucker, say what again" Whaley in his role.

I'm digging it, we just tied up ep 6 and he's really growing into the harlem hometown hero thing. i was cool with cottonmouth but hope for more in the latter half, we've not yet seen diamondback yet so that should be cool - black mariah & co were fun, i swear hearing a kid named lonnie in the barber shop kept making me think of tombstone somehow too.

origin ep was a highlight so far, yeah!

I like the show, but it's probably my least favorite Marvel Netflix show thus far. I'm on ep9 now, and Lou from Rescue Me showed up, so that's pretty cool. The origin episode for Luke was my favorite so far (You look like a damned fool!) and I also liked the origin flashbacks of Black Mariah and Cottonmouth. They're not as interesting villains as Fisk but still interesting enough. Misty is well cast, and her character is growing more rounded with each episode. Frank Whaley is also good in his part, and Rosario Dawson returning as Claire Temple is a nice connective thread even if her character is so far rather one note. Juice walking around wearing shades as discount cholo Neo is laughable.

Frankie Faison played his part as neighborhood patriarch well, and his performance really helped convincingly set up that Cage would come out of hiding (RIP Pop.)

Diamondback showing up in ep. 8 was great. I read the Marvel wiki on Cage, and apparently they're changing the origin a bit. Luke's brother and Stryker were different people in the comics, but it makes sense to combine the two for the show.

That acid bath shit at the end of ep9 is bonkers and so very comic-booky. I loved it. I'm eager to see how it all plays out int he last four episodes.

I'm only five episodes in but I'm liking the characters and slower story a lot more than all the wheel spinning Jessica Jones and Daredevil did with Elektra and Nuke. Luke Cage is doing more to justify 13 episodes than those shows did. I like that Cottonmouth is actually a pretty reasonable guy up until Luke pushes him over the tipping point, his motivations are understandable and a lot more interesting than how overwrought Wilson Fisk was.

...Luke Cage is doing more to justify 13 episodes than those shows did. I like that Cottonmouth is actually a pretty reasonable guy up until Luke pushes him over the tipping point, his motivations are understandable and a lot more interesting than how overwrought Wilson Fisk was.

I like the actor playing Cottonmouth. He was great as Remy on House of Cards. I agree Cornell becomes much more rounded after his origin flashbacks conclude, but to call him reasonable?

mvp-d-onofrio-1.jpg

I'm about to start episode 11 now, and I'm thus far inclined to agree with you that S1 of Luke Cage is more justified in its 13 episode run than the other three seasons of MCU Netflix. Jessica Jones came close, but I do recall feeling like there was filler in there. Nuke's storyline from JJ-S1 could pay off more as world building than wheel spinning...

...if the program he's involved with turns out to be linked to Seagate prison. I forget, was the truck full of chemicals that gave Jessica her powers connected to that program, too?

I've a feeling Reva's hard drive will come in to play with that possible connection to Nuke's program in the future. Hopefully the connection will surface in the last three episodes. There's no way Dr. Burnstein is finished. Speaking of the doc, kudos to the show's creator for casting another great The Wire supporting actor in this series. I don't remember his name, but I know he was the lawyer for Stringer and his successor(s).

Also, I feel after ep10 Claire Temple is less one note. She's now two note--she's a brilliant physician and she's thirsty for that LCD. Bad jokes aside, Netflix, needs to let this woman get her damn M.D. already. That'd be a good arc for her. I forget if it was DDS2 OR JJS1, but it was brought up before that she go to med school and she shot the idea down. Maybe this Dr. Burnstein encounter will prompt her. If she really wants to be a super hero physician, she will need more training.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin