Hondo's Bar

Luke Cage

Keth

I like the actor playing Cottonmouth. He was great as Remy on House of Cards. I agree Cornell becomes much more rounded after his origin flashbacks conclude, but to call him reasonable?

Okay, think back to before Luke busted up his operation and got all the Crispus Attucks money. He's unquestionably a criminal but he has a certain code of honor. Did he beat that kid to death? Yeah, after that kid murdered a bunch of his people and stole a bunch of money from him. And he was willing to parlay with Pops about Chico, he might have even let him go but his number-one guy just randomly decided to go psycho and shoot up the barber shop. Up until Pops dies he's a pretty fair guy for a murderous crime boss. He's like what the creators of Daredevil said they wanted Wilson Fisk to be but he wasn't because he was a weird psycho man-baby.

Okay, think back to before Luke busted up his operation and got all the Crispus Attucks money. He's unquestionably a criminal but he has a certain code of honor. Did he beat that kid to death? Yeah, after that kid murdered a bunch of his people and stole a bunch of money from him. And he was willing to parlay with Pops about Chico, he might have even let him go but his number-one guy just randomly decided to go psycho and shoot up the barber shop. Up until Pops dies he's a pretty fair guy for a murderous crime boss. He's like what the creators of Daredevil said they wanted Wilson Fisk to be but he wasn't because he was a weird psycho man-baby.

You indeed make a good case for Cottonmouth showing instances of restraint, but those instances all related to a gain for him. It was selfishness as much as reason associated with those decisions. To label him as reasonable though is like calling Negan reasonable over on TWD b/c he only bashes one person's head in with a bat and not two. One prime instance of Cottonmouth acting like a psycho is when...

...that thug of his is in his office and tells Cottonmouth about the book he read regarding urban neglect--I think the word was neglect--and this guy basically is saying why not leave Cage alone and see if that solves the problem. This idea was so dumb that Cottonmouth pulled a gun out and shot him through the head right in his office. You can't call that reason or restraint.

I think Cottonmouth also shot a guy in the shoulder in his office sitting on that couch, too. But that guy I could be confusing with Diamondback.

Also, on ep12 now and I may have to take back that last statement about the series not dragging out. I'll be finishing up the series tonight though, so I'll hold that final verdict until the end.

He kills the thug AFTER Cage has already pushed him over the edge. I'm talking about in the first 3 episodes, tops, before Cage starts tearing his empire apart. He's no unhinged or uneccesarily violent, he's a bad guy but he can be reasoned with or talked to. The animosity between he and Cage is mostly a misunderstanding caused by other people on both sides of the divide. He has a code of honor and keeps his word but after Crispus Attucks he just goes off the deep end. Fisk, in contrast, was obviously a violent crazy fucker from second one.

^But Fisk had way more pressure than Cottonmouth. Mo' money, mo' problems.

I'm fresh off of finishing the last episode of season one, and I'm not gonna definitively say it's the best season of MCU TV thus far, but it is definitely the least dark and brooding. It's also the only series that didn't have a lead character that annoyed the shit outta me. Jessica Jones and Matt could both aggravate the hell outta me and made binging the entire series nearly impossible for me as I'd just need a break from those characters. And SHIELD has so many episodes to go through that it's almost unfair to compare it to the Netflix series. Luke Cage, however, had a pretty sprawling cast filled with interesting characters and the pacing was pretty damned solid throughout the 13 episodes. I will say it gave too much credit to some of the B-characters (I can't speak on that much more w/out spoilers.) Both seasons of DD & JJ S1 felt bloated. LC S1 didn't suffer from bloat until the final three episodes, which definitely could've been tightened up. The show also had a few moments that stretched plausibility too far and came off, to use Claire & Luke's word, corny. All complaints aside, I enjoyed the series a lot more than I expected. It's also got the best soundtrack to an MCU joint since Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm looking forward to seeing Misty, Claire, and hopefully Luke showing up in Iron Fist S1.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an interview somewhere over the last week about why Marvel movie villains "have" to be mirror images of the main hero (more relateable in a two hour movie etc) and the netflix shows, show us what you can do with a villain when they have time to breathe and take the spotlight. Yes there's a superpowered fight at the end but that almost felt like it was an obligatory thing. I mean the series keeps going for almost an entire ep post that fight. Either way, it was awesome and I'm wondering if Iron Fist can be as good as JJ and LC

...it was awesome and I'm wondering if Iron Fist can be as good as JJ and LC

My expectations are pretty high for Iron Fist at this point. I'm looking for it to be the best MCUNetflix season yet. So much groundwork has been laid, and the IF show runners have literally been able to see what works and doesn't work in four seasons worth of MCUN shows. The pressure is on them to deliver bigtime. Edited by Mr. Hakujin

finally got a chance to tie this one up! i'm definitely glad i'm not binging these things as much, its hard not to with DD but the rest go over better when im not being unhealthy about them, i think

like most of em, 13 eps feels a bit longer than needed so things teeter off a bit by the end - im never really sure i had a grasp on diamondback's overall plan - but i really love the harlem hometown hero stuff (a method man freestyle didnt hurt) so this prolly goes above Jessica, for me. i likewise doubt either will get a season 2 but i could be wrong, and we'll be seeing them for Defenders soon!

also Misty keeping the arm surprised me, and Claire grabbing info on martial arts instruction literally has to be the link to her meeting Danny, right?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Good to hear. That first episode really bored me (all I've seen so far tho).

Same. 

54 minutes ago, The NZA said:

halfway through season 2, and it's clearly stronger than the first 

bushmaster being the shows best villain (thus far, anyway) really helps, but even shades has his moments here 

Shades? For real tho?

Im only 2 eps in and Im enjoying it WAY more than the first season. Not as heavy, and I'm already digging this villain they're introducing. Can't wait to watch more, which is something I couldn't really say for S1.

1 hour ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Good to hear. That first episode really bored me (all I've seen so far tho).

1 hour ago, Donatella said:

Same. 

Shades? For real tho?

for real, ya'll should stick with it!

and im not gonna say shades does a whole 180, it's just that he has a purpose here & i'm actually interested at times.  ill post back when i'm further along! 

2 minutes ago, The NZA said:

for real, ya'll should stick with it!

and im not gonna say shades does a whole 180, it's just that he has a purpose here & i'm actually interested at times.  ill post back when i'm further along! 

That actor is just so bad. He was slightly better in Sons of Anarchy when he played a coward. But I just don’t buy him as a “badass.” Plus, his sunglasses are dumb. But I’m glad to hear he’s better used in season 2!