Hondo's Bar

Luke Cage

Keth

I'm in season two and struggling a bit to finish. I can't say it's bad by any means, but I binged S1 in two sittings and S2 I've only finished up to episode 7 after a week. I'm getting through an episode, maybe an episode and a half, at a time before I have to move on to something else. I feel like they're really going into more CW territory with the writing this season in terms of corny melodrama elements. Most of those are coming from the Shades/Mariah (STOKES! Mariah STOKES!) story line. However, it's still got a lot of solid writing. S2E7 really felt like a mid-season finale. I'm curious to see where they go in the final 8 episodes.

Misty's story is pretty interesting so far. I had to go back and watch a bit of that last Defenders episode to refresh my memory on some things. I wasn't expecting to see Reg. E. Cathy as a character this season, and it's bittersweet knowing the actor has died. However, he's got such a great part this season and the scenes with him and Luke have been some of my favorite thus far. Another high point is this guy they have playing Bushmaster. He's got some layers and an interesting motivation for his villainy. S2E6-7 saw him do a lot of monologuing, but the actor was giving such a great performance that I didn't really mind some of these key reveals coming out as exposition.

S2E1-7 Comments

*Anyone else feel like that "surprise gift" from Danny Raynd to Misty came waaaaay too late in  the show? She should've never gone back to work w/out the prosthetic arm, but I'm guessing the writers wanted to use her trouble adjusting t life with one arm as a part of why she quit the force. This is one of the examples of CW melodrama type writing I mentioned earlier. Ditto for that scene where there are suddenly twenty people in her small office and she does the whole "get a good look at my stump" speech. 

*Loved the Scarfe flashback and how that character is still having an affect on Misty.

*That breakup (?) scene with Claire and Luke. Gawdamn! Memorable scene. Curious to see if Claire makes it back from Cuba before the season is out. Will Jessica Jones sneak back in? Eh. Doubtful. 

*I really liked how the circumstances unfolded for him to become a hero for hire. I don't even mind how the writers are emphasizing the word "hire" in super corny ways--like Mariah's final line in S2E7. RIP Piranha.  Luke ain't ever gonna see his $300k.

*Really dug the twist they put in with the Shades storyline and his snitch buddy. I did not see that coming. That wa sa great little B-plot line throughout the first half of the season.

*I did read ahead in the episode descriptions, so I know Danny is gonna show up. Eager to see these two team up again.

*Also, I hope we get some more clarity on Bushmaster's powers going forward. I feel like the first 7 episodes revealed just enough to explain how he knocked Luke on his ass, but I'd like some more backstory on how he got this healing factor, tough skin, and strength. I'm guessing Mariah's daughter is gonna be crucial in that regard.

*Also, is anyone else wanting to say "walk good" or "me gone" now instead of goodbye?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
wagwan

:lush: 1.5 eps left, but...i'm ready to put jamaican craig mack bushmaster up in the league of fisk & killgrave.  he's charismatic enough & his backstory - thin though it may be at times - is enough to keep me on board. there's  a lot going on this season, but he's still carrying a lot on his back

also agree with a lot of haku's post but

ehh season 1 (and definitely iron fist) had way more CW moments for me, misty needed time without the arm or she wouldn't deserve it, to paraphrase tony.  she's joining the daughters of the dragon, let her play out her one armed boxer era to really value the hookup she's about to get!

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished S2 a few days ago on a long flight. A guy a row over from me asked me what I thought of it and I let out a sigh. Before I could speak he said, "Too repetitive, huh?" Yep. We both agreed the final act of the final episode was intriguing though--enough to bring us back for S3. Not sure if this writing team can really pull it off, but maybe. Maybe.

S2 E8-13 spoilery comments:

* Fuuuuuck. Episode 10 and the bulk of the Defenders made me actually consider watching IRON FIST S2. Somebody talk m out of it!

* Alfre Woodard is a damn great actress, but she had a lot of great scenes muffled by the repetitiveness of the story. You pretty much knew her daughter was gonna take her out, but Cersei Lannister kiss of death was a nice way to do it.

* Tilda's character never got really defined for me this season. Who is she as a person? Her becoming a killer like her "mommy" and her anger over not getting the club seemed more like convenient story points rather than action driven by character motivations.

* Luke v Johnny Bushmaster = was + rinse + repeat. After that Bridge fight there were no real stakes left to their brawls, and the fights became kinda boring. There has to be something at risk for the characters in a fight. In the last half of this season Luke was much too like Superman and Bushmaster like Wolverine.

* No resolution with Claire? Really? Pshh.

* The Godfather II reference sin the final episode were a bit heavyhanded, but I still dug it.

* You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. There's real promise for S3 to go in interesting directions, but I hope the writers take a page from the Agents of SHIELD playbook and break the season down into two arcs: King of Harlem Luke then the inevitable realization he can't protect Harlem from crime by being a criminal and either a road to redemption as a real hero, or maybe knocking up Jessica and setting up a real "heroes for hire" business. I find the Jessica hookup unlikely though.

Man I'm surprised more folks aren't tlking about this season! I thought it was great and it made me immediately want to go back and rewatch 1(truth be told because I miss Cottonmouth).

Bushmaster was such a great villain but I feel like the series arc ended at ep 9 with a logical, if downer conclusion. Then of course because it's a twelve ep order they do three more. I did appreciate the insight into the Stokes/McIver history though, and I second Haku's submission that Alfre Woodard is a phenomenal actress. She's a lady Nic Cage IMO.

I like that Luke has appropriated Daredevil's Shadowland, effectively at the end of S2, but I'll be surprised if we see it in effect past ep one of S3

How cool would it be to combine Luke & Danny's shows moving forward(alternate between current events tying into their respective arcs), freeing up a slot for another show?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jables said:

Hide contents

I like that Luke has appropriated Daredevil's Shadowland, effectively at the end of S2, but I'll be surprised if we see it in effect past ep one of S3

How cool would it be to combine Luke & Danny's shows moving forward(alternate between current events tying into their respective arcs), freeing up a slot for another show?

^Yes! This please. More Luke & Danny crime fighting duo action.

As for spoiler comment...

I thought there was something akin to Luke going more criminal in the comic history for his character. Although now that you mention Shadowland, how fucking cool would it be if the third season of

Jessica Jones, DD, & Luke Cage all intertwined in a Shadowland-esque crossover?!?!? I mean, why not? Netflix is one of the few places a crossover like this could occur. For example, you watch S3E13 of DD, then go over to S3E2, of Luke Cage, and then finish the arc off with S3E4 of JJ. Maybe even throw in some Iron Fist S2. Maybe. (I' still not sure I'll watch S2.) Anyway, just my two fanboy cents on the subject.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

^Yes! This please. More Luke & Danny crime fighting duo action.

As for spoiler comment...

Hide contents

I thought there was something akin to Luke going more criminal in the comic history for his character. Although now that you mention Shadowland, how fucking cool would it be if the third season of

Jessica Jones, DD, & Luke Cage all intertwined in a Shadowland-esque crossover?!?!? I mean, why not? Netflix is one of the few places a crossover like this could occur. For example, you watch S3E13 of DD, then go over to S3E2, of Luke Cage, and then finish the arc off with S3E4 of JJ. Maybe even throw in some Iron Fist S2. Maybe. (I' still not sure I'll watch S2.) Anyway, just my two fanboy cents on the subject.

Purely re spoilered section and any potential crossover- If it was on CW and released weekly and concurrently, sure. But the schedules for these things mean that the story would flow like Arrested Development when it tried to by clever with the character eps. So maybe not great.

I'm just talking about combining arguably the two weakest properties on the Netflix queue right now(aside from the Defenders of course).

• 2 months later...

yeah, it's weird that people treat these as cancelled like they'd go on forever...again, i thought we'dve gone HFH after season 1.  

and i know baytor thinks combining these stories is too much/too busy, but bouncing around storylines & that ensemble cast, with good fights?  that could justify 13 eps by me

There's just too much going on too far apart for these to fit together.  Also, is a white dude with magic handguns the hero Harlem needs right now?

I think Netflix is preparong for Marvel to boot up their streaming service by shedding excess IPs.  I don't foresee a Daredevil season 4, we're definitely getting a season 2 of Punisher but beyond that I doubt it, and who's to say with Jessica Jones.  They barely came up with enough ideas for her to have a season 2.