Hondo's Bar

Star Wars Rebels

Mr. Hakujin

I can't believe we don't have a thread solely dedicated to this series yet! I never got in to The Clone Wars series, but this had me hooked right away. It's a great cast of characters and I love how they trickle in key players from "The Original Trilogy."

The S2 midseason trailer just was released and it looks epic!

Ezra tempted by the dark side? Daaaaaaamn!

I was invested in the Clone Wars tv show since the animated micro-series.

Hell, I was invested in the Clone Wars mythology since it's inception. Loyally bought every TPB Volume as they came out - there were 9. (before the show came out...they had a bad-ass Dark Horse Clone Wars series that began it's run soon after AOTC hit theaters - which the show immediately crapped on). But - despite the fact that I felt hussled, it's such a great show. It really gets good around the 3rd Season - when it gets closer to ROTS. Freakin' criminal that they cancelled the show at it's current state.

I caught the movie/premiere of Rebels online - I think it was 3 episodes. It didn't grab me - at all. It was really Disney. The animation alone felt aimed at a younger audience - such a step back from what the Clone Wars was and it just felt like it was shooting for 'mass-appeal' w/ the main cast. (Mind you, I've only seen the premiere)

Now I'm sitting here watching Clone Wars - and I want more animated Star Wars. I've decided I'm gonna get Rebels Season 1 on blu - from the latest footage I've seen (a Vader fight and this Season 2 trailer) I'm super interested in knowing what's going on.

I'll check back once I have Season 1 under my belt.

tumblr_mlh96kFE0z1r8xr82o1_500.gif

The premiere is okay, but it's all uphill from there, Nemo. It really took me most of S1 to really like the main character of Ezra, but I'm hooked now. S2 had some great growth for the character and once you catch up, you'll see how mindblowing some of the things in that S2 mid-season trailer are. Or, ya know, just watch it now and spoil it for yourself.

Also, Rebels is not afraid to kill off characters. This is definitely a kid-friendly show. But it's nothing like the kids shows we had in the 80s where there were no consequences for characters and every episode was almost like a reset button. No, this is some truly great episodic television here, folks.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Okay - I finished it up last night aaand I'm watching it again this morning...I like the classic Trilogy atmosphere - the show itself is not horrible - but man, it really is geared toward a younger audience - it is sooo damn soft. No grit or bite.

Who are these people? Why are they dedicated to risking life and limb to just being a nuisance to the Empire? Just 'cuz the Empire sucks? How did they all meet up? I never find out who these people are.

The entirety of Season 1 just set up a thief being chosen to become a Jedi and his journey toward owning a lightsaber. Nothing else really happened - except in the last episode:

Ahsoka shows up to let the group know that they aren't the only group out there being a nuisance. I mean, they make a living sticking their nose in Imperial business and they never caught wind of a report of other trouble makers?

On the bluray - there are some pretty sizable special features, including a huuuge sneak peak at Season 2. THAT shit got me pumped - that looked like a Rebellion against an Empire. THAT got me excited more than anything in Season 1...I'm grabbing that sucker when it goes blu.

I wanted to know who these characters are and why they do what they do - looks like Season 2 will actually have depth. Clone Wars had some really thought-provoking episodes - I'm sorry, but the entirety of Season 1 doesn't hold a candle to even one good episode of Clone Wars...in regard to, 'wow, that was good'.

It's great to see classic Stormtroopers, Tie-Fighters n' Star Destroyers nicely rendered and fully animated ('cept, is it me - or does Kanan and Ezra's...well, most humans' skin and face textures look like...felt? Like, soft n' fuzzy? Also, what a weird color for Ezra's gloves...his fingers look like latex.) Clone Wars had this great oil painting look to it - this looked like they went w/ a chalk-outline look on most things - looks cheap and pixely.

It sucks it took a whole season to set up a premise that I thought was going to be Season 1 - but, I'm completely onboard - 'cuz I feel the potential of this show. At the end, they set-up something exciting. I can't wait to see this thing pick up steam and get into some territory w/ content. (Aren't there citizens who are happier and feel that their lives are safer that the Empire is in charge instead of the 'corrupt' Republic?) I want to see more of the denizens that they are 'trying to save' and 'need to be saved'.

On one of the Rebels Recons (a lot of the episodes have a companion doc that goes behind-the-scenes) they explain that it was a hologram of Luminara Unduli - not a Force ghost - that Kanan found on Stygeon Prime...but it was her corpse.

Also - it was Paul Reubens who voiced the RX droid, piloting the transport ship in 'Droids in Distress' - reprising his role from Star Tours. (Nerd-gasm!)

IMG_3194.JPG

RX-24-Rebels.jpg

My over-analytical and hyper-opinionated ass will be back w/ more nit-picks. J/k - I do dig the atmosphere and I'm enjoying familiarizing myself w/ this new universe...thumbs up for potential.

C1-10P is a real dick, btw. LOL - I officially want him, Wall-E and BB-8 running around my apartment.

BL4ItTz.gif

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 2 months later...

I have no idea where Season 2 is right now - or where Maul fits. These could be Season 3 promo pics for all I know. I'm being careful on S2 spoilery stuff, m'self. Just bumped into a blurb about Maul being in Rebels and a pocket of the internet freakin' out.

Neg away - I should've 'spoiler'd that...and my S1 'review', for that matter.

mvx3w9.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...

You're in for a treat if you haven't seen S2 yet, Nemo. Dat finale!

And the bonus features on this include Rebels Recon, which you can also see free online at StarWars.com. This supercute fangirl named Andi hosts about each episode (usually around 10min or less) with the creators and sometimes voice actors, of the show. This is all canon stuff in the series and Pablo Hidalgo always answers a fan question which usually reveal interesting facts on not just the series but the SW universe. I recommend watching each RebelRecon episode after each corresponding REBELS episode and not in bulk.

Yeah - Season 1 on blu had those Recon featurettes, too. They are pretty informative! Clone Wars had some excellent featurettes on blu, too.

I'm gonna marathon season 2 and then jump into the behind-the-scenes stuff...then marathon the season all over again - like I did w/ Season 1. (shrugs)

original.gif

LOL! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to S2. I've seen some pieces that hinted at more character stuff - so I'm looking forward to getting to know the crew a little better. (I thought Season 1 was really, really lacking in that.)

• 4 weeks later...

S3 Clip starts around the 3:30 mark. It's a long clip and we see Ezra has changed his look and attitude after dat finale in S2. Also, after the Rebels clip there is a great interview outtake with Rogue One director Gareth Edwards on his Star Wars fandom--my man, he ain't no joke. I'd rank him a Level 5 Fanboy Blackbelt.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

I just finished Season 2. I ended up doing all the Recons when I finished and watched it all over again. (lowers head in shame)

Season 2 recovered nicely! It got me back in. I felt like it went back to that place that made Clone Wars great. Adventure and relatable / relevant themes - it got a bit more...well, less kiddie than Season 1. Having Vader in from the start was needed. Having his presence felt during the Season was awesome. Making the Empire's shit-list and getting caught is going to be a very bad thing. That ending w/ Maul blinding Kanan - wtf?! WHOA! I felt like I took the hit! Unexpected! Ahsoka and Vader. My eyes honestly, straight-up welled when Vader had his mask split and Ahsoka whispered, "...Anakin..." and you could see Anakin peering out...

200_s.gif

Ezra opening that Holocron - that end-note...woooooo! Hey - that's what I'm talking about.

Episodes had variety, we got much-needed character backstory / defintion (which Season 1 was devoid of) and it felt like it has some direction - like, it's going somewhere. Exciting!

@nemo Dat finale! I told you, son!

I just finished the Lego Star Wars Freemaker Adventures series and loved it. It was a nice change in tone and a fun series to get a SW fix from while we wait on S3 of Rebels. I never saw the LSW Yoda Chronicles, but I liked this series so much I'm gonna go back and watch it. If you like the Lego video games then you should like this, which has the same kid friendly tone and sense of humor.