Hondo's Bar

Cowboy Bebop....

Why wasn't I warned of the feels? It was indeed very very good. It took awhile for me to actually get invested (right aroud Ed's entrance), but I finally got through it. Fuck. Alot of different emotions right now.

I need to watch Samurai Champloo again.

[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • 4 months later...

Fullmetal Alchemist: is it any good? I know next to nothing about it. My backlog is kinda deep right now though. I'm in the middle of like 4 or 5 different shows.

Skip Fullmetal Alchemist (Pacing/story issues)

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Better pacing/story)

Yo, Axel! You ever start/finish Another?

Started it! I'm 4 eps in. It's quite the slow burn so I need to break it up with other stuff. But I am digging it. That 3rd episode is the hook for sure. I'll stay on it!

Skip Fullmetal Alchemist (Pacing/story issues)

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Better pacing/story)

Ah, what I missed while I was away. Now listen here young'n...

You've got some good basics covered but I have some short series for you to try-

Dominion Tank Police - Masamune Shirow before Ghost in the Shell; complete with THE quintessential cat-girls

Record of Lodoss War - if you want your anime Dungeons and Dragons fix

Bubblegum Crisis - 1987 hard sci-fi mecha anime OVAs: the original girls in power armor with a Blade Runner vibe

The Legend of Black Heaven: Hard Rock Saves Outer Space - self explanatory; bit padded but the ending literally rocks (unleash the Zappa!)

Grave of the Fireflies - a brilliant masterpiece and must-see art film guaranteed to give you depression

Saikano - Robotic Sailor Moon meets Grave of the Fireflies

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still - a retro-future anime with all your favorite 70s anime characters plucked from multiple series and re-imagined into an operatic tale of epic proportions that took almost a decade to finish 7 OAVs

Wow, I need to re-catalogue what I actually own, most of it is still in the basement.

• Upvote 1

Some of those have been re-made, try to find the originals; example: Bubblegum Crisis was an 8 part OVA in the late 80s that later had a 3 part sequel and a spin-off 3 part prequel titled AD Police. Then in the late 90s there was a re-imagined 26 episode TV series titled Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 that re-booted the characters and setting, and the AD Police spin-off got the same treatment. It wasn't bad but the original was so much better... so try to go old-school if you can find them. I believe Dominion and Lodoss War both had the OVA-then-TV-series treatment.

Edited by Drifter
  • 2 weeks later...

forget if i said so, but one of my earliest animes (while i was on a classic Final Fantasy kick & loving Xenogears) was Vision of Escaflowne, and i loved it.

Some of those have been re-made, try to find the originals; example: Bubblegum Crisis was an 8 part OVA in the late 80s that later had a 3 part sequel and a spin-off 3 part prequel titled AD Police. Then in the late 90s there was a re-imagined 26 episode TV series titled Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 that re-booted the characters and setting, and the AD Police spin-off got the same treatment. It wasn't bad but the original was so much better... so try to go old-school if you can find them. I believe Dominion and Lodoss War both had the OVA-then-TV-series treatment.

damn, ive been meaning to watch more Lodoss War (love the dreamcast game) and Bubblegum Crisis forever now - good to know i should stick to the originals, unlike say Helsing.

damn, ive been meaning to watch more Lodoss War (love the dreamcast game) and Bubblegum Crisis forever now - good to know i should stick to the originals, unlike say Helsing.

Lodoss War's OAVs were very much like Hellsing in that they had their own version of the final story arc and didn't follow the manga, the TV series was more faithful to the original material and had a spin off called Legend of Crystania. That's not to say that the OVA is a waste, I actually enjoyed that non-canon ending, but it was more intimate and wrapped things up in a nice little emotional bow making followup material feel superfluous.

• 2 months later...

Just finished Princess Mononoke (finally) and I'm gonna get shit for this, but it was kinda underwhelming (or overwhelming depending on your interpretation). Possibly from all the build up. I just think it dragged on too long and had too much stuff going on. It wasn't bad by any means, and I can certainly see why it got all the praise it did, but it just didn't do it for me.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. It's probably one of my all-time favorite Miyazaki films, if not my all-time favorite. I am biased though because it was my first MIyazaki film.

I also have a very vivid, nostalgic tie to that movie. I remember reading all about it on a message board and being unable to rent, borrow, or DL a copy, I bought it on DVD. This was back in my college dorm room days, so that was a big deal as I was on a tight budget and very picky back then about what DVDs I would actually put money down for. So when I got it in the mail from Amazon I had high expectations for it. And it didn't let me down. Like a true anime Noob, I watched it with the English voice actors and not subtitles at first. But I loved the movie so much I watched it that very same day again with the subtitles. And I've been hooked on Miyazaki ever since.

The Berserk opening was like nails on chalkboard when I first heard it too, but by the end of the series you will fucking love it.

When you're right you're right.

Nearing the end of this. Review to follow soon!

My only criticism really is that it's too slow. Yeah there is alot of action, but the show is at its best when the plot is moving forward, and actually gets into those dark places. If the manga is that much better I'll definitely check it out.

Nooooo not "heh".

I kept watching, thinking "ok this is cool, but wheres all the real dark shit people kept talking about."

I feel fucking violated.

It was good though

Edited by Axels