Hondo's Bar

Axels on Anime

Keth

casual berserk fan finishes the anime: JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED I MEAN SHIT WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO GO READ A DECADES LONG MANGA NOW FUCK THIS SERIES THAT'S DUMB

a few weeks later: *puffs smoke* you know, the anime went soft on guts' early arcs, and really, millineum falcon arc is just the prologue. hopefully we'll take down one of the godhand before 2030.

I feel fucking violated

MvwLDpD.gif

no joke, i think it does for everyone. the conception arc is when the story shows you just how dark it can get, and to its credit, i thought the anime got the bulk of it down.

not even kidding when i say the usual cycle is just that: put it down for a while, get into something else, but come back when you're ready to see what's next.

Oh, to have been a Puck* on Axel's wall.

Speaking of, the manga has way more moments of levity than the anime (but, to be fair, it's way WAY darker too). Either way it's more Berserk. TONS more. Berserk is the only manga I sit and read in one sitting. EVERY TIME (I don't even do that with Blade of the Immortal and their volumes are significantly shorter and less wordy words).

*Puck - you'll find out when you read the manga.

Now I need something happier. Jesus Christ. I'm not easily shocked, but that unsettled me.

And it just keeps getting worse and worse from there for Gutts and the rest of Midland from that point on. So you were watching the 1997 anime or the 2016 anime?

Edited by Drifter

• 3 months later...

Ushio and Tora- NOT DONE YET. But man this series hit a major quality boost. That's not to say the show wasn't good before. It definitely was, but by like episode18-19 it becomes fantastic. The story, the characters, the action. Everything seems to get much more engaging, and that's already to the credit of an engaging show. I adore this. I'm bracing myself for impact at the end, but I'm enjoying the ride nonetheless. That said, I wish the opening song didn't just change... I much prefer this one

• 2 months later...

So a little update on my anime ventures. My attention span is shit as many know. I've been jumping around when really I need to pick one anime and finish it. One that is actually over. So here is a little list of shit that I have yet to finish. I think I know what to get through, but suggestions are welcome of course.

Trigun- Watched the first few eps, and really dug it. Just havent been back in awhile.

Another- At Panch's recommendation. I think I got 4 eps in, right when it was getting interesting.

Baccano- I'm just about halfway through this and really love it. I think I might get through this one first.

S2 of My Hero Academia- Ongoing, so it's on the backburner.

S2 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- Ongoing, finished S1 which I loved the shit out of. However, some minor changes in the dub for S2 is putting me off a bit. It's in the backlog.

Gurren Lagann- Not very far in this at all. Liking it, but it's taking me a bit to get into for some reason.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood- Fucking looooong. BUT I'm about 5 eps in and am really enjoying it. It's pretty damn cool.

Black Lagoon- Starting to really love this. It feels like Cowboy Bebop's alcohol and blood soaked cousin set in modern day. It's very fun.

S2 of Attack on Titan- I've heard S2 is crazy as hell. I really wanna watch this at some point. Only saw the first ep.

Death Note- Meh... I mean it's fine, but it's alot and kinda samey so far. This one might take me awhile.

Evangelion- God I really need to get back to finishing this one. Last episode I watched was the one where Shinji and the German chick do the fight dance thing against one of the angels.

I think... that's all for now. There are some I'm eyeing to start watching, but I really need to get this backlog down.

Another - just wait til around Halloween to finish. I plan on watching it again in October (and every October until the end of time).

My Hero Academia - season 2 really is crazy awesome and badass. Folks are hailin' it the next DBZ. Except with REAL character building (not just the main character).

Gurren Lagann - is really a tale of three shows. Every 8 episodes or so it reinvents itself and blows your mind all over again.

Attack On Titan - the first season didn't really do it for me, but the second is short and straight to the point. And ramps up the action EVERY. EPISODE.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Paprika right now. Man, if they can get the animators from this on that Junji Ito project, that would be awesome. Doubtful, but the style on this one would fit pretty well.

Movie is pretty good so far also. Like Inception, but interesting.

• 1 month later...

Just watched Howl's Moving Castle. It was funny and charming.... But too freaking long. It started off really fun, then, like with each Ghibli flick I've watched, had me checking how much time was left around the halfway point. Plus some plot points were glossed over and unexplained which had me scratching my head at the end. It was fine though. Better than Spirited Away (which I didnt finish) and not as good as Princess Mononoke (which I thought was pretty good.... Still too long). 

• 3 months later...

So I subbed to the Funimation app. Catching up on DBSuper, and started Mob Psycho 100 and the Junji Ito Collection. I feel like Mob is gonna be my favoritr anime ever. I love it so far and the animation is gorgeous.

58 minutes ago, Axels said:

So I subbed to the Funimation app. Catching up on DBSuper, and started Mob Psycho 100 and the Junji Ito Collection. I feel like Mob is gonna be my favoritr anime ever. I love it so far and the animation is gorgeous.

Cowboy and I think it's way better than One Punch and we both LOVE One Punch.

• Really Like 1

I'm watching the Junji Ito Collection properly now. It's good! It does lose a little in translation to screen, but it's still really good. For the best effect though, turn the color on your TV all the way down.  You'll thank me later.

• 1 year later...

Cells at Works is basically Osmosis Jones with some Magic School Bus factoids thrown in. Season 1 is on Netflix and its a fucking blast. 

Also I'm about to get into Vinland Saga. I watched episode 1 and its great also. The animation on both of these is outstanding. 

• Hmmm 1

Yeah I hear great things about the manga too. First episode was a nice hook though!

There is a lot of anime I think I would like, but so many seem to be doing that awwwful cgi animation a la Berserk and I hate it. It's ok when they only use it a little for flavor like AoT (Vinland does this a bit too). But that weird, Fire Emblem cutscene stuff is terrible.