Hondo's Bar

Predator (Shane Black sequel)

The NZA

On 5/10/2018 at 1:47 PM, Axels said:

Key and Peele guy is outta place.  Automatically brings the whole thing down to 'Jurassic World' levels, for me.

Ah dunno.  The concept of 'upgrading' on every planet works for me.  In the grand scheme of being the 'Ultimate Hunter' - kinda makes sense to like, eat your enemy's brain?  Y'know - consume their soul / DNA...gain their strengths / attributes...becoming better / stronger?

98f39912-a8f7-42d2-af5f-870f79e726c7.gif

BUT - how do you share the hybrid-gains of a hunt w/ an entire species?  Shouldn't they have BEEN gotten human DNA already?  In the first movie, it's stated that Predators regularly hunt on Earth.

Predators are pretty well established as 'trophy hunters'...it's all about the hunt...looking to assimilate Danny Glover's killer stache genome into the collective feels...weird.

getting-too-old-for-this-shit.jpg

Could just be just trailer 'buzz words'...could be referring to a bigger plot / danger presented by these specific Predators.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, Bindusara said:

...I try and never go full super sayan nerd. I never want to be comic book shop guy on the Simpsons nerd.

nerd-rage2.jpg

• 1 month later...

yeah, it's not like the creators ever described their efforts as 'a spiritual journey' and encouraged people to make an emotional commitment to the whole franchise... that sounded way to snarky and bitter... how about: What's to get upset about? When did the Aliens and Predator franchises ever pretend to make sense? They try and crank that crazy-dial to 11 every chance they get. Hell, we're just one massive space-fleet battle away from the sci-fi insanity trifecta with these films.

Edited by Drifter

I think i'd have tried to separate it more if they were not so hell bent on trying to turn the books into movies. AvP, Alien Resurrection...

...still you all have a good point. I'll go in with low expectations and just hope for a good film. 

I know that's still asking a lot. 

You're obviously way deeper into this section of the mythology than I am but my understanding was that while occasionally the AvP literature dips into the movies the movies basically never even give a nod to the literature (especially the Alien movies which seem to be openly disdainful to the idea that they share a universe with The Predator and occasionally The Terminator and occasionally Superman) did the glimpses we saw of Yautja culture in Alien vs. Predator Requiem and Predators even slightly line up with the literature?  I only read the early Dark Horse AvP comics and there was a pretty big difference in how it portrayed them.

From what I understand, with the exception of the batty crossovers with superheroes and Archie and whatnot there are the Alien canon, the Predators canon, the Alien vs. Predator movie canon, the Alien vs. Predator video game canon and that dovetails somewhat with the comics and the prose books.  But unlike the aliens the predators of the books have a very deep and detailed lore that is not explored or acknowledged by any of the movies.

So, and forgive me because it's been a hot minute since i've re-read these books, while the SETTING of AVP the book and movie differ a lot of the same beats are hit ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator_(novel_series) )  down to being marked by the Predator as one of theirs. The big part that changed in the ending is that in AVP the movie the predators are just like like...peace out homie, and in the book she's taken to the homeworld where basically she's treated like shit because...well racism. 

Now Alien...Resurrection I believe *fact checks self* pulls HEAVILY from this trilogy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Nightmare_Asylum ) . Billie, why is Ripley alive, all that stuff is from that trilogy which is pretty awesome - thing is...that's actually a really good trilogy - that movie was hot garbage. 

That's what I mean with the movies play with book elements. They cherry pick what they want to take from them without actually making quality films based on those works. Yeah a movie about the predator homeworld, where a human is just trying to fit in would be boring to anyone that's not me but you got to learn their culture. The Yautja for the most part are represented pretty well, it gets a little cringy when shit like predator dogs get involved and...I guess for reasons, you can't really get into the "blooding" ceremony too much (basically the plot of AvP at any given point) because that's just too much crossover. 

• Upvote 1

I liked the whole idea in Predators with different tribes and how they go about hunting. It gives some flavor to the species instead of an entire planet of predators that act all the same. 

And I've always loved the thing where, once you prove yourself as a warrior and hunter you can gain their respect. 

Now as for this movie, it really doesn't look like they bastardizing anything. You've got a traditional Predator trying to kill something bigger than he is. Essentially turning him into the protagonist, which is what I've always wanted to see. 

I could be wrong, and this could all be terrible. But I'm in Baytor's boat. Shane Black has proven time and again to be an incredibly fun filmmaker (Say what you will about Iron Man 3. It's got one of RDJs best performances in the MCU and is a hell of a ride). I'd say just try to focus on the movie canon (cherry pick here too. Do any of us care about AvP requiem really?) keep the books and movies separate and have fun with it. Treat it as an alt universe if you have to.

Plus, Thomas Jane being kookoo bananas. 

I will defend Iron Man 3 till the end

Yeah, I'm going to do my best to separate the universes, it's the trap that Star Wars fans (not to bring up another thread) get into all the time. 

I'll hope for the best and turn my attention to praying for a good Terminator film someday. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...