Hondo's Bar

Animal Crossing

spiffytee

gamespot quotes:

Animal Crossing takes the notion of the conventional console role-playing game and tosses it right out the window in favor of some of the most original and addictive gameplay ever. The hours of gaining experience levels, keeping up with convoluted storylines, and engaging in random battles have been replaced with hours of picking fruit, pulling weeds, interacting with the residents of your town, and, most importantly, collecting as much cool stuff for your house as you possibly can.

In addition to being completely open-ended, Animal Crossing has an incredible number of activities to keep you occupied, such as fishing, designing your own clothes, and, best of all, gathering up a vast collection of Nintendo Entertainment System games that can be played within the game or uploaded to the Game Boy Advance for an instant retro gaming fix. All these features, however, are just the tip of the iceberg, and the game seems to always have something new in store, whether it's an item you've never seen or just a witty comment from one of your neighbors.

The cute, cartoony look of the game may force some of you to jump to conclusions about Animal Crossing, but give it a few hours, and you'll be hooked for sure. What it lacks in good looks it more than makes up for in personality and the nearly infinite amount of time you can spend with the game. While most role-playing games stick to elements that are tried and true, this game goes out of the way to do something different and strikes gold at every opportunity.

from Tim: dammit, all i can do is shake a tree and pick up the peaches!~!!!

note - animal crossing won best gamecube rpg of the year.

Really wish i could at least manage to rent this one - I knew Chi-chan would go for it, it's been getting a lot of hype as an amazingly addictive and open-ended RPG.

Guy at Gamestop told me he was playing for a while, then took up Metroid.

So, his girlfriend opens up another town nearby, and now she gets mail from her boyfriend's town asking where the hell he is, 'cause the weeds are getting high...i thought that was pretty cool, the real time it plays in.

Tim, are you on Chi-chan's account or do you guys have seperate towns too?

Yeah, the one with the Real World ads? It was cool, wish it was a playable demo tho.

I thought it was a clone of Harvest Moon at first (little known RPG series about farming) but turned out to be really innovative, and as that Gamespot article mentioned, there's supposed to be a number of unlockable easter eggs - classic NES games hidden all over the place.

she spends more time than i do playing it. we are under the same account, kind of tag-teaming the game. I never knew that i could start up in another town... mabye i should try that. from what we got so far, we have a job in tom nook's store and run errands for him. however, sometimes we mess up and hit reset. when the game is started up again, this little mole, called resettii, comes out and scolds you for hitting reset - each time with growing anger. words cannot describe his nuisance, he's funny, but mabye chihiro shouldn't be so picky at making a perfect game.... she found out that you can shake the trees and money falls down, but she did it with the wrong tree - i was on the computer when i heard her scream. I thought she hurt herself, but no, her character has a big ol bandaid on her head, all cute and all. a lot of the neighbors want attention in the game, and it's a pain to write letters with the controller. that's my biggest gripe. other than that, i could put more time into it. more as it comes along....

• 1 month later...

after getting a mailbox full of valentines from all her neighbors, i'm pretty jealous of chihiro. yeah right... they had quite different cute designs. but here's the real breakthrough. she has 2 nintendo games now. golf and balloon fight. balloon fight is something that i enjoy, as to never have played it before... however, it seems like chihiro and aadil like golf better.. eww..

Haha...check out what i read on him:

If you keep resetting, then Mr. Racketti attempts to persuade you to stop by gentle pleading. But if you don't listen to him, the angry Resetti comes back, and forces you to write an apology note, turns off your game for a few seconds . . . or even worse!

Haha, chi-chan's gonna call down the thunder one day...

• 2 months later...

When I dropped by, Chi-chan had one of her neighbors to play the game. The game simply had the main character walk around talking to people. and you can' miss one person or else the shopkeeper tells you to go back and do it again. No offense, but for the first few seconds I played it, I felt like barfing.

Of course the old school gaming of donkey kong and balloon fight was pretty fun.

And that rossetti creature's pretty serious when he want's you to repeat something. If there's an exclamation mark or comma YOU have to repeat it.

I think Chi-chan should play more Kingdom Hearts, I really thought that was a good game. oh well

....and im one of em. Gamecube didnt do so well last quarter but their heads are above water, as i understand it...

Anyway, this game is keepin me from recently acquired Zelda & Wolverine's Revenge (ive read everyone's reviews but im personally hyped on both), me, Spiffy & chihiro are havin a great time with it. Yes, its very cutesy, very task-oriented a la the Sims i guess? But the interactivity with everyone else is cool, im lovin it. Tons of replay cause its in real time with lots of holiday bonuses, etc...wish we had a 4th neighbor instaed of the crackhouse but part of the reason im on the board less these days - aside from no internet on my PC, need job, etc - is this game, its really fun.

• 2 weeks later...

welcome_2_340x130.jpg

Check out the online community on this fun, addictive lil game...

Its not for everyone, granted, but with some friends its really a blast, with all the lil customizations goin on, not to mention cool NES games (cant wait till Nintendo puts out the codes to get Punch Out!, Super Mario Bros & Zelda.. :D ). Im proud to announce that, in addition to me, Spiffy & Chi-chan, Junkerseed (and hopefully, Dinghy, soon) have joined, with their new town of Bojangles. I'm lovin this.

I do, however, challenge Yahven to explain why this game is so "gay", without havin played it, but his PC ones are sooo much more exciting...i just hate seein this game hated on by so many close-minded folk, its a shame.

wallpaper800x600_police.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was actually impressed on the billions of shit there is in that game. There definitely a lot of shit you can collect and customize. You can even hit people with a net. (that's cool for a cutesy game) Now if only you can hit people with the axe or shovel.

I gotta say, this is a great game. The premise might not sound like much to most people, but nobody that's played it hasn't been drawn to it in some way. It's the ultimate in escapeism. Games are supposed to take you to a different world and all that, and this one does that in spades. Sure, it doesn't really have any goals other than the ones you make for yourself. Kinda like life... I mean, if you can't be content with making goals for yourself in a game... how do you expect to do it in real life? Huh? Yeah, to reject animal crossing is to reject LIFE... can't you see!?? :D

ahem... anyways... pretty cool game, especially with friends....

• 2 years later...
Sequel to Animal Crossing, known as Doubutsu no Mori in Japan. Since Animal Crossing was an enhanced version of the Japanese release, Nintendo Co, Ltd. released a follow-up in Japan, known as Doubutsu no Mori + (listed separately under this title). Animal Crossing 2 was announced in an interview with a Japanese magazine and is thought to be a true sequel to the communication adventure. Whether the game will truly make it out on GameCube is currently unknown. It may just get canned and moved to the system's successor.

There was an Animal Crossing 1 1/2 released in Japan however, featuring:

- Upgraded animal designs

-Conversations and topics are changed

-All-new events added

-More than 100 additional items

-Visit the island without a GBA

-Make new friends by scanning e-Cards at the wishing well

-Receive items using passwords

-Save village data on SD Cards (using the SD Memory Card adapter)

-Take photos of village life, store on SD Cards, and print using photo printers, etc.

-Transfer data to the game using the e-Reader

-Get letters from animals and import designs via cards

-Link up to the GBA and play all-new mini-games

-Download NES games to the GBA via the link cable.

Ah, thanks rasta....see, id heard about an online sequel, but yeah, when things take long enough, i pretty much assume its lined up for their next console, which again is reported to have free online capabilities & such, a must for a game like this.

I spent so much time on the first one, but man if people dont live with you and play, youre pretty much solo there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...