Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man : Homecoming

You're not being funny or cute. Just gross.

And you're being reactive and non specific. See below for pointers on how to do better than "EVERYWHERE."

Honestly, you could've at least thrown in a gif of Gary Oldman from Leon.

i think haku has a point - why change up things from the comics? i for one wish we could stick to good aryan stock, like ben urich [only in show cuz he

worked with whitest of white gingers], hemdall [white woman is his boss, runs glorified taxi service for boss' son to go see his white girl friend and her white BFF] johnny storm [white sister], baron mordo [white woman is his boss], nick fury [works with only two women--both white], and gamora [her "sister" is blue but played by a white woman]

i was so gonna say john wraith here but i legit didn't know he was black in the comics, damn whoever was inking marc silverstri's shit in the early 90's

Great examples! Oh dang, all dem movies had white women in 'em tho. And except for Guardians--the only women were white women. So you missed all those opportunities to mount a lofty steed you rode in on.

Besides, my original comment was directed at lack of Aunt Tomei in that trailer and not at Peter crushing on Liz Allan. (I even added the comment to clarify!) So way to go being open minded, nonjudgmental, and trying to see the humor in the irony. Also, a lack of Emma Stone never does a film any favors in my book.

• Downvote 1

i don't know if you're arguing that those examples of black actors/actresses playing white comic characters somehow don't fly because there's other whites on screen, or simply reinforcing donny's point on white women being literally everywhere.

either way though, "YOU TRIGGERED?" was douchey.

So that Spider-Man Homecoming movie, huh? Definitely looks like one to catch opening night. I really like the Stark mentor relationship and not just because it means more RDJ screen time. Is that in the comics? I have read a woefully small amount of Spidey. I think Panch and I should have a conversation about what arcs I should check out.

Edited by Donatella

So that Spider-Man Homecoming movie, huh? Definitely looks like one to catch opening night. I really like the Stark mentor relationship and not just because it means more RDJ screen time. Is that in the comics? I have read a woefully small amount of Spidey. I think Panch and I should have a conversation about what arcs I should check out.

*adjusts coat* as someone who put panch onto Spider-Man.gif, i can tell you that they had dealings before but JMS really pushed that mentor angle in the road to Civil War (part 1), and it was pretty interesting there - Stark Tower was finally offering pete security for his family & financial stability, and in the years since, Dan Slott (he's been on Amazing Spider-Man forever now, and is awesome) has actually made Peter much more following Tony's footsteps: he's currently a billionaire running a worldwide tech company! it's been a cool transition for the character, and absolutely works here for the movie with the age gap too

TL;DR

2765821-tumblr_mfcqohji411qb8e86o1_1280.jpg

i kinda wanna make a thread about the future of MCU stuff in the 2020's, so i think i'll do that later!

• 3 months later...

People seem to be hating on this, saying that the trailer seems to generic. I thought it looks like a really fresh take on spider-man.

...they are also saying Sony might pull out from marvel after the 2nd movie, which given the recent venom movie news...I could see it. It wouldn't be smart, but I can see it.

Yeah, I actually thought the trailer was all over the place - but, it does look like it's gonna be a better Spidey experience than Spidey 3, Amazing Spidey and Amazing Spidey 2 - combined. Pumped.

I think the trailer just kinda showed it's hand too much and the beats were all over the place. Didn't need to see a (the?) big set pieces...aaall the way through. (boat being split in half...and Iron Man coming to save the day...and then Tony asking for the suit back...and then Spidey reverting to his old gear...Washington Monument exploding...elevator rescues)...all mashed up w/ the same stuff we saw in the last trailer. (LOL - still ain't feelin' Spidey w/ a sidekick / Oracle)

They maybe should've stuck w/ just 'setting' stuff - maybe just lay out Pete's situation / routine post-Civil War. (School, crime-fighting, bed) Enter villain - Spidey's gotta stop him. Save the drama and big pieces for the movie. Everyone is going to see this flick - no need to oversell.

They could've gotten away w/ no footage and simply animating an extended swinging sequence w/ voice-over...and it would've floored everybody.

1476320_o.gif

Keaton's Vulture looks great. The Iron-Man team-up looks great. One of my friends is bitching the Iron Spider suit will be the finale of the film and hates the idea. Personally, I dig the concept. Stark takes away the suit, Peter proves himself, Stark gives Peter an upgrade and off to fight the Infinity War they go!

People seem to be hating on this, saying that the trailer seems to generic. I thought it looks like a really fresh take on spider-man...

Are these the same people that you talk to that hate Legion? Stop talking to these people.

especially if those people say legion's better than daredevil

really saw nothing here that a spidey fan wouldn't dig. he's a great cast - kid seems likeable and wisecracks more than both of our previous :panch: , villain seems interesting, and we've a major avenger on board too. i know MCU sets the bar high, but if the biggest beef is that the trailer showed too much, ive been saying that about a lotta stuff for a bit now, haha.

^ Yeah, maybe what they should start doing is (I'll use Spidey as an example) - just do 2 trailers, a teaser and then just one trailer.

Teaser: Have it be an original thing...not in the movie. (Spidey) An extended swinging sequence w/ maybe a Vulture circling above...or something creative like that. An original bit / sequence...

Then a legit trailer: Actual movie footage, that lays out the basic plot (LOL - to it's credit, I have no idea what JL is about - 'getting the others'? but...LOL - at the same time, I have no idea what the movie is about!) but, yeah - you'll have your tv spots - but pull those from the trailer.

As far as having 3 trailers...a lot of people genuinely avoid 'em 'cuz they don't wanna see all the Acts laid out in minutes! It'd be sweet if every (fantasy) movie had that original teaser sequence / scene - before the legit trailer eventually dropped. Imagine what Marvel, Star Wars or hell, the new Predator flick could come up w/...then that one solid trailer. Done.

"Have you seen the trailer? No, no - the 3rd one..."

"I don't like watching trailers, anymore...they give away the whole damn movie!" (looking at Donatella wink.png)

• Upvote 1

^I've said my piece on trailers giving away too much of the plot already here on the board, so I won't say anything more than +1 Nemo. Well...I will add this much, I feel like the Disney era Star Wars trailers have been fairly on point--just enough tease. I will also say I watched this latest Spidey trailer and immediately regretted it as soon as I saw Iron Man show up to help Spidey with the ferry. I've managed to stay away from the newer GotGv2 trailer though. I feel like I already know too much about the plot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...