Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man : Homecoming

The film ABSOLUTELY fucking nailed the little things. Throughout the whole thing, too. I'm sure that Ramones song was considered, but, like I said: too on the nose. I was damn satisfied with the end result and trust in the filmmaker's final vision.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

God, I loved this film so fucking much. For me, this is clearly the best Spider-Man film of all time. All due respect to Maguire and Garfield (and I don't think he was as bad as others do), this is the first truly, comic accurate portrayal of Spidey ever put to film. I agree with a lot of what ye've said, so many of the little things were just right. The best and most well rounded MCU villain since Loki (Netflix excluded obviously) and the best supporting characters of any solo outing for me.

Overall it slots in at the top tier of the MCU along with Civil War, Winter Soldier, both Guardians, Avengers and Iron man, 9/10.

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I finally saw 'Homecoming'.

It was...a'ight. Not great - or even 'good'. It was...just like, a really long 'Spider-man commercial'. Like those bits they do for like, the Super Bowl...or a Taco Bell thing. Totally pretty, totally safe, totally fun. Felt really freaking empty. Fantastic to look at, but there wasn't any...soul in there.

It was just super-cartoony...to the point of over-the-top, where I couldn't take anything really seriously or get really invested.

Only time I felt anything - was when...

...Spidey was trapped under all the concrete - after his confrontation w/ Vulture...and he just couldn't move. Whoa. I was starting to panic.

Only time I came close to a chuckle or even a smirk - was when Spidey went into 'Interrogation Mode' - and had that insane scary voice.

I never cared. I was just watching Spidey antics. Fun, sure - fantasti-cally gorgeous to look at...but it didn't have that 'special sauce' that I Iike about the character. The burden of the secret. The thankless job. His gift and curse. Juggling life.

'Homecoming' touched on that burden of the duality thing - when he found out who Liz's dad was. I dug that shit - but that didn't last...and oddly contrasted w/ the tone the film had spent over an hour establishing.

Keaton could've been Osborne...that whole - thing could've been Osborne. Flash isn't a dumb jock anymore - now he's a fellow nerd math-lete? MJ is now Ally Sheedy from the Breakfast Club...and not (breathes deep) a red-head. Why? 'Cause it's different!' Ugh.

Liz and MJ characters' names should've just been reversed. Spidey doesn't need an Oracle or a 'Jarvis'. He has both in this.

Way too many toys. Way too next-gen of a Spidey for my liking.

Doesn't gotta be an ultra-real...emo...'whoa is me' thing - like that joyless 'Amazing Spider-man'...but Spidey's...'world' / 'life' just felt wrong. The secret identity thing...that's totally a component. Felt like one of those Disney Marvel Spidey cartoon spin-offs that I have no interest in. (Spider-man: Agent of SHIELD)

The film seemed dead-focused on establishing him as part of the Disney Marvel universe (and that's a specific tone) - than hammer home a solid Spidey / Peter tale.

Panch, you wanted to know as soon as I saw it...well -

Spider-Man 2 > Homecoming

LOL - I'm getting it on blu, tho - great Spidey eye-candy antics. Great color palette...but, seriously. Eh.

LOL ^ I felt that Cap promo was aimed at me! At the end of the flick I was like...'okaaaay.'

Yeah - it was just a'ight. I honestly can't look at someone and say it was good.

It's a touch better than Guardians 2...but that's not saying much. The humor was bordering on obnoxious. Bordering. Guardians 2 was a full-on comedy...so was this. I didn't laugh the first-time, multiple viewings are gonna grate.

I love to laugh - but like, Ant-Man, Deadpool and Guardians 2...the humor is like, set on a frequency that just goes through me - but has the entire room on the floor laughing...and it was set on 11. I can see I'm in the minority again - LOL. I almost smirked once. It was all too much of a forced comedy for me.

The only reason I could ever see myself watching this again - would be for the eye-candy. It really is the best I've seen Spidey...(it is 2017) I've only seen those 'Amazing' films once. One viewing was enough for me to know it wasn't for me. Guardians 2 had great fx - but I couldn't stomach another round of that movie. Passed on adding it to my collection.

Keaton as Osborne would totally fit! Maybe not have Osborne as Goblin again in Homecoming...but -

- I liked that upstart company having a hand in cleaning up the Avenger mess...getting a hold on sum kewl tech and a business growing outta that...w/ a hate-on for the Avengers. (shrugs) I'd say it's a fitting origin for Oscorp.

The villain was lame. Everytime I saw the wings - I just saw the goblin glider. I was like...'again'. They should've had low-level Spidey rogue's gallery thugs becoming a real threat. Regular Spidey thugs we all know - are getting a bit more dangerous than usual. Like, Shocker and the like. Menaces - becoming real menaces - and Spidey stopping 'em before it all gets too nuts.

I mean, at the end - all Spidey did was prevent a robbery of a Stark plane. He caught the bad guy...incidentally stopping the spread of bad tech. The arms dealer / thief could've been anybody - the goons armed w/ the dangerous stuff could've been anybody.

Him stopping 'classic' low level goons and working his way to the arms dealer would've been cool. Shocker was bullshit. A waste.

I really couldn't get over the fact he had a sidekick. And now Aunt May is in on it, too. I gave it a shot - I couldn't get over it. Not my version of Spidey.

Maybe they'll introduce Uncle Ben in the next one and he'll get killed in the 3rd...and Spidey will learn '...w/ great power' - 'cuz it feels like he just found the costume...and hasn't had his 'Crusher Hogan' moment yet.

shocker's a real spidey baddie, but not the Vulture....?

spidey has about the finest rogues gallery in comics, osborn needs to stay seated for at least another few movies or it's gonna look like how bat-flicks seem to be relying on the joker as a crutch

LOL - that wasn't Vulture. That was 'Michael Keaton w/ wings'.

LOL - I didn't get old...insane 'dangerous man' from him. I got Norman Osborne...mixed w/ Spidey 3's Sandman: "My daughter's sick..."

That could've been anybody w/ wings...Liz's dad is Vulture? What is happening?!

Shocker is a low-level thug w/ shooty-things on his fists...and yellow. Breaks into banks n' shit.

Vulture is an old-ass crazy man who also - breaks into banks n' shit.

The villain of 'Homecoming' was an arms dealer. If he didn't have wings - it could've been 'anybody'. Might as well have been...um, 'Kraven the Hunter'! Just give him leopard-print pants.

I didn't get Vulture. I just didn't - I felt more Osborne than anything.

I wanna see a solid take on Mysterio personally. If they are gonna keep it as light as they are then that would be perfect.

Mysterio would be perfect as a titular villain in this universe.

There is a fan theory that Mysterio was already in the first three Sam Raimi films. From Wikipedia

Bruce Campbell made varying cameos throughout the Sam Raimi Spider-Man film series. Jeffrey Henderson, who worked on the storyboards for the cancelled fourth Spider-Man film, said in 2016 that Campbell was slated to eventually play Quentin Beck / Mysterio.[72][73]

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Best looking Spidey suit was AMS2 - I just wish it had the classic 60s logo on his back like Homecoming Spidey did.

Homecoming Spidey looked way too cg - like, he had this...waxy texture.

Would've been nice if Homecoming also had an iconic 'swinging through the city' scene.  It's kinda like, 'you gotta have Superman flying around' - that's half the fun of a live-action adaption.  Seeing that...

To his credit - Raimi's swinging scenes were tastefully done, they weren't all-over-the-place crazy-insane like how the other films did it.

Looking back - they never were over-the-top.

EDIT: Whoa - whoops...okay, how do we post vids now?

EDIT 2.0: COOOOOOL!!!

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 1 month later...

I just see the mythology being further twisted, turned upside-down and reinvented...like, I mentioned earlier - Aunt May meeting Uncle Ben in the sequel and Ben getting killed off in the 3rd - that level of reinvention.

This is a whole new animal - w/ nods n' winks to the lore / character.  I'm sure 'Vulture's Revenge' will be an entertaining enough theatrical kick - but a kid-Spidey w/ an Iron Man suit and an Aunt May and an 'Oracle / guy in the chair' in on the ride as sidekicks?  Just too much of a departure from what I dig about the character.

Expectations for the sequel is that Disney XD-ness multiplying a thousand-fold.  Even more 'fun and laughs than the first' - in bold.  This is a special unique IP - and it's being treated / handled w/ such kid gloves that Spidey can't even throw a punch.

Burger-King-Kids-Club-burger-king-396815

• Confused 3

• 5 months later...

Deadline: Jake Gyllenhaal In Mysterio Talks For Spider-Man Sequel

Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play the villainous Mysterio in Sony Pictures sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming. Talks are underway right now for Gyllenhaal to join the long line of Spidey villains. Gyllenhaal is booked to star this fall in The American, the BRON-financed and Cary Fukunaga-directed drama about the life of iconic composer Leonard Bernstein, which Gyllenhaal is producing with Riva Marker through their Nine Stories banner along with Fukunaga.

giphy.gif

• Really Like 1

There was nothing wrong with Emo Parker, I found it painfully and embarrassingly fun to watch and got the joke about how he was acting the way his nerdy self would think to be cool... Venom blew, can't forgive Topher Grace for that turd, and Franco as Goblin was a disaster... they should have brought back Dafoe if they wanted a Goblin... there were too many primary villains, it was too incohesive and that killed it.

Edited by Drifter