Hondo's Bar

Chipotle considering new menu items to win back customers

The NZA

source

Chipotle is considering adding new menu items to win back customers as sales plunge in the wake of E. coli outbreaks that affected restaurants across the country.

One of the first items that Chipotle could add is chorizo, a spicy pork and chicken blend, Chipotle executives said on a call with analysts on Tuesday.

The company is hoping that chorizo and other new menu additions will draw back its most loyal customers.

A test of chorizo in Kansas City last year was "very, very popular with our loyal customers," Chipotle co-CEO Monty Moran said. The company is hoping that the addition of chorizo will "make our loyal customers come more often," he said.

Chipotle's revenue dropped 23.4% to $834.5 million in the first quarter, the company reported on Tuesday. Same-store sales dropped nearly 30%.

The decision to add menu items goes against one of Chipotle's core business strategies.

Post-E.coli the only Chipotle in our area had a severe drop in customer service. So that's why they haven't been getting my business the past few months. And all the times I've been to Miami and I honestly can't recall if I have had chorizo. Maybe at Hondo's Con when we went to that cafeteria-type chain restaurant? And if I did have it then it didn't make an impression on me.