Hondo's Bar

Told through the lives and music of a ragtag crew of South Bronx teens, The Get Down is a mythic saga of the transformation of 1970s New York City.

executive produced by Nas, so it got my attention - but apparently it's not without its troubles

Netflix's The Get Down is is one of the most expensive series in TV history

An inside joke on the set of Baz Luhrmann’s “The Get Down” proposed an alternate title for the new Netflix series. Because the troubled production had started, stopped, and stalled so many times as scripts were written, tossed, and rewritten, some writers had taken to calling the show “The Shut Down.”

Over the two-and-a-half years since the hip-hop-focused project was set up at Netflix, Luhrmann went through two showrunners, numerous writers, and no small amount of strain with producer Sony Pictures Television. Production of the 12-episode season, the first half of which premieres Aug. 12, went well over the original budget of about $7.5 million per episode and wound up costing at least $120 million overall, with New York state tax incentives factored in, according to sources.

In an interview with Variety, Luhrmann revealed that he was so overwhelmed by the process that he briefly considered abandoning “The Get Down.” The iconoclastic director of music-driven films such as “Moulin Rouge” went into the project expecting only a light level of involvement after getting “Get Down” on its feet.

article says comparatively, Game of Thrones season 6 took 100 million...fortunately, Adam Sandler proved Netrflix has $$$ to burn

• 1 month later...

Just finished this.

As a whole it was a great and raw look into the beginnings of hip-hop and New York City in the late 70s. But I feel it was too ambitious. The countless sub-plots come together... but like a 15 car pile-up. Ultimately, if you're a hip-hop head, this is a must see. If you think Grandmaster Flash is a just another DC Comics speedster, skip it.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

• 8 months later...

Netflix cancels Baz Luhrmann’s The Get Down after its first season

The Get Down, Baz Luhrmann’s musical drama set in the South Bronx in the late 1970’s, will not return after its first season. Deadline reports that Netflix has canceled the show, a rare move for the streaming service.

On Facebook, he posted a lengthy note to fans on why the show was “unlikely” to continue. “When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years,” Luhrmann said. “This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience.”

sorry panch...i'm gonna be bummed when i finally get around to it, too. apparently that budget caught up to it...still, this really sucks.

get-down-10.gif?1384968217

This sucks cause Part 2 really started to find its footing. They cleaned up a lot of the sub-plots and really started to focus on the leads. The second part felt richer and with more stakes than the first. The payout is better too, but you can tell they knew it was doomed. The ending leaves very little for future stuff. It felt like an end. Sad to see it go, but I'm satisfied.