Hondo's Bar

Aquaman

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna say, and I haven't seen SS yet ( I will probably like it actually), but David Ayer is a really good director and hearing some of the stuff about the movie, I wouldn't hold out hope that Wan's vision makes it entirely to the screen. Still, hopefully DC can learn from meddling too much if that was indeed the issue. I really want to like DothraAquaman.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aquaman reveals first look at the exotic Fisherman King (Djimon Hounsou as a cgi fish

[IMG]

Not one single thing about this looks good or interesting to me. James Wan seems to be a weird choice here too. He did what? A handful of okay horror movies and a Fast and the Furious sequel? I guess it might be interesting to see how he handles something like this. 

Edited by Donatella

Just now, Bindusara said:

abouttostartswingin.gif

Haha! Sorry! I was looking through his IMDB and even though I've seen all his horror movies, I couldn't tell you a thing about them without re-reading a wiki page. They're not very memorable. Except for the original Saw. That one felt really new and different at the time. But I can never remember which movie was Insidious and which was the Conjuring.  They're not bad! They're okay... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm what you could call an early stages fan-boy of his work. I'm not full blow "he can do no wrong" - but I see the potential he has. His movies are all really good, he's managed to understand and create interesting horror that doesn't rely on just jump scares. He was one of the ones to take risks on horror that was not in a cheap paranormal activity format. 

I had a talk about him with my gf, and specifically about the Scream franchise (could it ever have another movie in the series without Wes Craven - mind you the scream movies are basically her favorite movies of all time). My thought on it, was that if he keeps this record of keeping the horror genre moving forward without getting locked into his own "this is how it has to be" ways - he could probably do it....in about 10 years, when we have new rules of horror established.  

There's a lot of if's there I know - but he's gotta prove himself more than what he has, he's just got a good start. 

i too would like to see what he's doing down the road...i really dug insidious 1 at the time, but those/conjurings/annabel etc felt like movies built around a few scares (which I'm down for), but yeah, they kinda merge in my mind too...maybe it's some of the repeating actors he clearly likes working with? 

still, if takashi mike can do dark horror/children's stories/historical drama/surreal musical etc I'm down to let this dude cook 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

so, i watched a bunch of movies on a plane, and ima review them a little

this was...not good?  like, i got that with the grimdark JLA members, they were kinda going for a more dudebro/likeable arthur here.  i dig the character & the world here was neat to see - but man, was his brother a boring villain.  i was hoping black manta would carry it, but he felt underused too, and some of the acting was laughably bad. 

i didn't at all hate it like BvS or the like, it just had that sorta late 90s/early aughts feel of a comic book movie that's really disjointed and partly phoned in, and having recently seen the batman made this feel decades old for me