Hondo's Bar

Bill Nye Saves The World

The NZA

Netflix commission "Bill Nye Saves The World" talk show, to launch Spring 2017

Exclusive: Thanks to Netflix, get ready for the return of our favorite Science Guy in Spring 2017.

Bill Nye is making a return to TV, via a brand new series for Netflix. The erstwhile bow-tied host, known best to a generation as “The Science Guy,” will star in the streaming service’s “Bill Nye Saves the World,” a new talk show set to launch in Spring 2017.

The official synopsis, from Netflix: “Each episode will tackle a topic from a scientific point of view, dispelling myths, and refuting anti-scientific claims that may be espoused by politicians, religious leaders or titans of industry.”

From 1993 to 1998, Nye starred in the PBS and syndicated educational program “Bill Nye the Science Guy,” which brought an approachable feel to science and engineering topics (with Nye being a very early adopter of the coolness that is bowties).

“Since the start of the Science Guy show, I’ve been on a mission to change the world by getting people everywhere excited about the fundamental ideas in science,” said Nye in a statement. “Today, I’m excited to be working with Netflix on a new show, where we’ll discuss the complex scientific issues facing us today, with episodes on vaccinations, genetically modified foods and climate change. With the right science and good writing, we’ll do our best to enlighten and entertain our audience. And, perhaps we’ll change the world a little.”

Official production credits: “Bill Nye Saves the World” is produced for Netflix by Bunim/Murray Productions. Michael Naidus (“The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson”) serves as showrunner and executive producer, while Gil Goldschein and Julie Pizzi serve as executive producers for Bunim/Murray. Mike Drucker serves as head comedy writer, while astronomer Phil Plait will be head science writer.

“Bill Nye Saves the World” is set to premiere Spring 2017 on Netflix.

giphy.gif

really cool to finally have that Mr. Wizard gap filled!

• 7 months later...

So this is streaming now. Watching the second episode now. It has a lot of cringey moments in its humor, but that's to be expected. Overall though its really good and no one that actually needs to see this wont ever watch it.

So this is streaming now. Watching the second episode now. It has a lot of cringey moments in its humor, but that's to be expected. Overall though its really good and no one that actually needs to see this wont ever watch it.

Yeah, I watched episode one last night (I'm hoping to get a few more episodes of the show in this weekend.) and felt a few cringey moments to be sure. Genius movie hiring a supermodel, however. I'm an old fogey, so I had to google Karlie Kross--apparently she's huge in the social media game. But this show is clearly skewing more Millennial than Gen X and older, and I'm okay with that so far. It's cool Netflix had his show's release coincide with Earth Day and the March for Science.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Bill Nye. I like science. I like liberalism. I didn't like this show.

Ok, I half liked it. I learned some things, which I enjoy. Some of the humor was great. I enjoy snark. But I think the overall tone of this show is downright mean, defensive, and far too angry and in your face. Those things don't appeal to me. I'll watch more of it, of course, but there will be a constant litany in my head questioning why he has to be so obnoxious.

Edited by FireDownBelow